Quantcast

DH bike decision!?

steveDH

Chimp
Oct 1, 2009
Hi!

I´m looking for a new rig for racing downhill next season. My previous bikes have been a giant team dh, turner dhr and intense m3.

i stand between a santa cruz v10, intense 951, morewood makulu, commencal supreme dh (but i´m pretty open for everything)

I am about 5´7" and i want a pretty light nimble and agile bike that corners well and also doesn´t care about rough stuff.

Maybe you have some clues for me.

thanks!

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
Might as well add the Evil Revolt to your list.. Makulu looks awesome, that and the Revolt would be at the top of my list if I was in the market for a new DH bike.

steveDH

Chimp
Oct 1, 2009
the morewood is also on the top of my list. should work really well and the geometry should be spot on.
think the morewood looks cleaner than the revolt....

steveDH

Chimp
Oct 1, 2009
i didn´t feel really comfortable on the M3. Maybe because i didn´t ride it very often and maybe i had the wrong setup on my manitou swinger shock...it felt like it always goes through the travel, especially in corners and berms.

The Turner felt really nice, and that´s one reason why i tend to a single pivot frame.
But i also own a Santa cruz nomad and there i absolutely like the performance of the VPP.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
"I am about 5´7" and i want a pretty light nimble and agile bike that corners well and also doesn´t care about rough stuff."

That comment alone makes me think you should at least check out/test ride the small Morewood Izimu. I have owned some of the same bikes that you have, and the Izimu is my favorite yet for the reasons that you listed above.
The new CCDB on this frame is really sensitive and it just rides amazing.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
i didn´t feel really comfortable on the M3. Maybe because i didn´t ride it very often and maybe i had the wrong setup on my manitou swinger shock...it felt like it always goes through the travel, especially in corners and berms.
Don't you kinda want the bike to sit low in the travel in turns? Lower CG=better turning amirite?

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
My V10 took a little longer to get used to than any of the other bikes I've had, but I love it now. For having 10 inches of travel its surprisingly nimble, corners better than almost anything and is well under 40lbs with a reasonable build (read not super expensive). Having said all that, the 951 is also a great bike however after riding one for a few days (intense demo) it seemed to ramp up a bit more harshly than most other bikes I've ridden. I'm sure you could remedy a fair bit of that by tweaking shock settings, but it still seemed a bit harsh for an 8 inch travel bike.

godfather

Chimp
Jul 2, 2009
You might consider a Canfield Brothers Jedi with an Elka Stage 5. Light, nimble and handles the rough.

steveDH

Chimp
Oct 1, 2009
i absolutely don´t like the look of the canfields. for me they don´t look like race bikes

godfather

Chimp
Jul 2, 2009
i absolutely don´t like the look of the canfields. for me they don´t look like race bikes
Fair enough. In the end, you are the one that will be riding it, so you have to like the looks. Whether it looks like a "race" bike or not, it rides like one, but with more versatility.

I have heard nothing but good about the Morewood Makulu, particularly with the Bos suspension. From your list, that's my vote. I would throw out the Evil one more time. It's another very fun, nimble bike with a ton of tunability for geometry, head angle, wheelbase, BB height, etc.. It feels more playful and poppy than any other DH rig that I've been on, but still charges down the rough and steep with confidence.

davec113

Monkey
May 24, 2009
I just got a very good price on a new '09 Session 88 from a local dealer. Maybe see if you can find some leftovers, the '10 bike is the same except some component specs. Initially, it feels very comfortable, like I'm not going to have to go through any "adjustment period", but still too early to give feedback on the ride. The clearance price was far too good to turn down.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Have you considered banshee legend? The guys at banshee want to get it to a nice price (the uk preorder price is a lot below the prices of revolt and makulu) and it may be what you're looking for.
If not I'd think Makulu, Revolt or the new Mondraker Summum.

steveDH

Chimp
Oct 1, 2009
thanks for your suggestions, but i´m from Austria (yeah Austria, not the one with the kangaroos ;-)) and the decision also includes the lokal service of the brands (spare parts,....)

So i think it´s going to be a decision between the makulu the v10 and the revolt!

godfather

Chimp
Jul 2, 2009
I think you would be happy with any one of those great bikes. Each one has different strengths, but all are very capable.

tuumbaq

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Squamish BC
Being from Whistler I heard ( not seen ) a few horror stories with the Revolt frames over time, too bad but Its stay away for now.I dont mean to say its a bad bike, Ive never had a chance to try one actually but they dont seem to pass the beating test yet.

The V10 are great bikes, Ive tried a few different setups over the seasons and they were all fun to ride.They also have issue with breaking rear axles, loose bearings and quite frankly , I think they're overpriced for the price you pay ( better bikes out there for that money IMO )

I test rode a Makalu with BOS suspension and it would definitely be the one I'd pick from your list.Too much to say about it, but overall its very well composed and I havent heard of any problems with them,although they arent as popular around here which could explain why I havent.

I get the chance to try all kind of crazy bikes on all kinds of crazy tracks and so far my Session 88 has been the best of the bunch.I heard stories over the internet but only ONE in real life.Everyone I know/met this summer ( except a girl friend of mine which had a freak crash) has been problem free...no dents.

Ive been beating the HELL out of mine for almost a year now, hitting the downtube on BOULDERS several times, multiples high speed crashes and its still rock solid.I'd definitely put that on my list if you have access to them in Austria.

Every time a company comes up with a product way ahead of the competition, people try to find a weak spot cause they think it cant be real, a year ago people were laughing saying the Trek was simply to light for a DH bike, now look at the new Giant and MoonDraker...even lighter(2 other bikes you might want to consider BTW...)

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
thanks for your suggestions, but i´m from Austria (yeah Austria, not the one with the kangaroos ;-)) and the decision also includes the lokal service of the brands (spare parts,....)

So i think it´s going to be a decision between the makulu the v10 and the revolt!
I'm pretty sure you have a banshee dealer there ;) If we in Poland and the Czechs have you can't be worse ;) Actualy you should have even more brands than most people in us (due to the fact that some of the euro brands don't have us distr. but almost all us/cad brands are sold in bigger euro markets).

Still if that 3 were the only choice I wouldn't go for v10 if you want something nimble ;)

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008

Of your initial list only the Makulu and 951 are made in house by their respective companies. V10 and Revolt are TW made. If you are light you can run into trouble getting a low enough spring rate for the Makulu. The BOS on the Makulu should be great though! If you are after adjustability to different tracks the 951 is the ticket. And it is also the decision between VPP and SP.

primo661

Monkey
Jun 16, 2008
Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
Another plus point about the makulu. I spoke to Patrick at the beginning of the year about the Makulu just after he signed Rennie. He was saying, normally he finds himself wondering if a rider is going to break the frame he's given them but in Rennies case i said he was wondering when he would break it because of Rennies aggresive riding style. And Rennie didnt end up breaking his Makulu as far as i know. A testament to its strength, exceeding even its designers expectations.

Dox

Monkey
Aug 26, 2009
Montreal, QC, Canada
Does anyone know which springrate i should use on a makulu? i´m about 159 lbs
In linkage software at 160lbs you would get 38% sag with a 175 lbs spring. But if i remember (dont quote me on that) the makulu with the boss s-toy was build to run with a lot of sag. I dont know what is the lightest spring for a 3.5" stroke shock.

Santa Maria

Monkey
Aug 29, 2007
Austria
In linkage software at 160lbs you would get 38% sag with a 175 lbs spring. But if i remember (dont quote me on that) the makulu with the boss s-toy was build to run with a lot of sag. I dont know what is the lightest spring for a 3.5" stroke shock.
Sag should be between 40 and 45%

steveDH

Chimp
Oct 1, 2009
It would be nice if you could compare these bikes (revolt, V10, makulu, 951, supreme DH) with a few words....the strenghts and the weaknesses.

Thanks!

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
If you mean the knobs might be turned to a suggested starting point, then yes, they most likely do that. If you mean, a custom valve/shim job based on these parameters, then no.

Last I looked, Bos offers five tunes including exctly one tune specific to the Makulu only. The other four tunes are what are offered as 'custom' to cover all other bikes, rider weights, riding styles, etc.

Patan-DH

Monkey
Jun 9, 2007
Patagonia
Everybody is so trendy here..... seems like the Evil and morewood where the only options.

If i was you i will check out the new GT Fury, the new transition, ventana el cuervo, cannondale judge, the new sinister..... just to name a few Single pivot bikes on the market....
maaaany options man! all of them good bikes.... good luck

WBC

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
PNW
Of your initial list only the Makulu and 951 are made in house by their respective companies. V10 and Revolt are TW made.
The V10 was made in the US this past season...pretty sure it still is.

I like my 951 so far, really grippy and while it's long enough to be super stable it's definitely still poppy, but maybe not as good of a rock crusher as others (though it's still pretty good). I think it'd shine in a place with a bunch of real high speed tracks with big jumps like what Europe seems to be.