Quantcast

DH bike for a bigger guy

dudeman

Chimp
Mar 28, 2008
Oly
I am looking for a bike which has a roomy rider area. My background is moto so I like DH bikes which have a bigger feel to them. In addition I am 6’3 so I am definitely looking for something which is a L or XL frame. I have a habit of getting pitched forward so I am thinking a DH bike which keeps the rider weight back on the rear tire. I know this has to do with rider position being further back but I want something that makes it feel natural to me. So far I am thinking in the Giant Glory or Demo 8. I like the longer longer wheel base of the Demo but the Glory seems bigger (at least the frame does)

Any other suggestions or comments?

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
There was a bike geo chart somewhere around here with geo numbers of different 2010 dh frames. Look threw the TT lengths and find what seems reasonably big. From what I know legends will be pretty damn big though but you can compare them to some other stuff.

thom9719

Turbo Monkey
Jul 25, 2005
In the Northwest.
I dunno man, a 46.6in CS for an XL seems VERY short to me. There are "larges" that are longer than that.
I just came off a large TR450 and a large banshee legend. the large revolt is a little shorter, but the XL would really stretch the OP out IMO. I was watching some footage of myself from this season and noticed I was too streched out (and I'm just shy of 6'3). So i am riding a large now and have a more "natural" looking body position and feel in much more control of the bike.

don't forget that bar width has a lot to do with fit as well. an uncut 31.5 flat bar will stretch a rider out much more than a 28" riser (making the bike feel longer or shorter depending)

-KT

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
XL jedi this year mixed with 1 slacker steeper HA and the rearward arch keeps it from bucking.
Im 6'3" and 235lbs riding a large Canfield f1 and jedi for the last 2 seasons and love it.
The XL is a good match for taller people.

The others are good frames Id think you need to see if you want a LONG TT before pulling the trigger, its going to handle different and the travel in rear (ie vertical, forward, rearward) is going to play a big roll in how the bike handles.
No matter what you ride we make bikes look small LOL.

Last edited:

Gridds

Monkey
Dec 18, 2008
Great Britain
Get a made to measure Katipo.

I'm 6'3" and also like a roomy bike. Got this one made to my geometry specification:

With short, sub 17" stays the wheelbase is 47". 63.5* HA. I love it.

Cheap too... and made of steel.

dudeman

Chimp
Mar 28, 2008
Oly
Thanks for the suggestions, I will look into some of these. Any tall owners on the Demo 8 Large? How much room?

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
One thing you will want to keep in mind is stack height. I'm just shy of 6'6" and when I ride a bike with a low stack, my weight ends up so far forward I do end up getting pitched. Bring the bar up a bit higher and you can run a smaller frame. For example, my regular bike has a 24.5"TTT, and my HT (used for DJ/winter/girlfriend bike) is a full inch shorter. I have to run the bars 10-15mm higher on the short bike or i can t even ride it. I'm going to be on an XL Sinister F-Bomb this year, and it will have a Boxxer on it, but no direct mount stem. They just make the front end too low for me. There are other frames that can get the job done. The Giant Glory is really big. The santa Cruz V-10 is big as well. (Not sure if it is still as huge as it used to be though.) I have to say that the Scott Gambler (the long one) left me bashing my knees on the crown constantly - felt like a circus bike.

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
One thing you will want to keep in mind is stack height. I'm just shy of 6'6" and when I ride a bike with a low stack, my weight ends up so far forward I do end up getting pitched. Bring the bar up a bit higher and you can run a smaller frame. For example, my regular bike has a 24.5"TTT, and my HT (used for DJ/winter/girlfriend bike) is a full inch shorter. I have to run the bars 10-15mm higher on the short bike or i can t even ride it. I'm going to be on an XL Sinister F-Bomb this year, and it will have a Boxxer on it, but no direct mount stem. They just make the front end too low for me. There are other frames that can get the job done. The Giant Glory is really big. The santa Cruz V-10 is big as well. (Not sure if it is still as huge as it used to be though.) I have to say that the Scott Gambler (the long one) left me bashing my knees on the crown constantly - felt like a circus bike.
Yeah, good point on the stack height. I'm 6' 4" and have a Large Shocker, I was messing with bar height I initially ran slammed crowns w/a direct mount stem.. Just didn't feel right(neck hurt/was sore after a couple days of riding like this). I had enough room to add a bunch of spacers in between the headset and top crowns, and it felt much better raising it up like 20-30 mm's..

dudeman

Chimp
Mar 28, 2008
Oly
I have a direct mount now and that is part of the problem. I have the taller bars which help some. I have even caught my shorts on the boxxer gate valve in midair. It is a little hairy when you get stuck in forward standing position.

Thanks for the link with the geos. Looks like the Glory is pretty damn big.

BigGerrrrr

Chimp
Jan 27, 2010
England
I am 6ft 4" and been told the 224 has good long wheelbase as long as you head for the 17" frame, the larger of the two sizes available on line!! But heard rumours of the 225 being released with a third size option? Ie small medium and large like they offer on the AM model of the 5. Anybody know anything about this or just more forum rumours that mean nothing??

bansheefr

Monkey
Dec 27, 2004
Frame, without shock, was $1400NZD + postage & imports.

They now come with Elka Stage 5 damping but don't know the current cost of that package.
I also find this interesting... Any contact info for the company? Email, website, etc? (Sorry for taking away from the actual thread).

As for large bikes... Don't think it has been mentioned already, but the 19" Iron Horse Sunday was pretty big in my opinion. Depending on your budget you could score one of these for really cheap; A) Because they are not made any more B) Because its the less desirable of the two sizes.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Anyone know if the reach on the 06 large demo 9 is the same as the demo 8? On paper that thing look like it has a pretty big cockpit.