Quantcast

DH Bikes on Thule Sidearm.

DownhillR3

Monkey
May 31, 2007
Not sure which section to put this, but looking into getting a Thule Sidearm to mount my Downhill Bike on my roof rack. Any of you guys that use this bike rack have pictures of your DH bike on it? Thanks a bunch.

jerseydirt

Turbo Monkey
May 6, 2007
dirty jerz
dh bikes work my friends dad is the rep and the it fits fine. Unless your uncomfortable with the bike kinda leaning to one side it works good.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
dh bikes are more than secure on there...and they dont lean like the above comment says.
they hold my 48lb bike w/ no issues, even while doing 110. they are also easy to put on and take off. A++ would recommend.
ill post some pics of the bikes on there tomorrow for ya

i have the Super G and it sucked donkey balls.
(two for sale cough cough)

JustMtnB44

Monkey
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
I bought a Sidearm carrier for my roof rack over the summer. I works awesome for carrying any of my bikes, DH bikes included. It is less wobbly then my fork mount trays, and super easy to load bikes on and off. I don't have any pics of my bikes on it though, sorry.

Old_Sckool

Monkey
Jun 5, 2007
3 downhill bikes on the roof of a Passat. No problem at all. I haven't had the leaning problem either.

Only real issues are

A: Security. Forget it, most bike rack locks are poor, but this is the easiest rack to get a locked bike off. Run a cable through everything.

B: If you run a big tire, like a Mich 2.8, you'll need to slightly widen the tray , The hook is fine and can hold a HUGE tire.

C: Does not fold to a nice low profile when not in use.

Otherwise a great rack. Sorry, no pic's either

jerseydirt

Turbo Monkey
May 6, 2007
dirty jerz
dh bikes are more than secure on there...and they dont lean like the above comment says.
they hold my 48lb bike w/ no issues, even while doing 110. they are also easy to put on and take off. A++ would recommend.
ill post some pics of the bikes on there tomorrow for ya

i have the Super G and it sucked donkey balls.
(two for sale cough cough)
Do you comment on everything I say? I think you do a much better job of that than you do with your actual job.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Do you comment on everything I say? I think you do a much better job of that than you do with your actual job.
i like to corrreccctt you. especially since you are never right and i am always right. so there.:banana:

and all your info seems to be second hand

and i do both jobs fanfriggintastic thank you very much

Last edited:

eRod

Chimp
May 16, 2007

kills your gas mileage but if you can't go hitch mount like me then you don't have much of a choice. side arms work pretty well but i would suggest running a bungie cord from the tray up around the top tube back down to keep the bike from moving around at high speed, say 85 and up. :biggrin:

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
I'm very happy with mine. had lots of shuttle time on it.

Starts to sway slightly at around 80-90 if you don't have the sidearm really cinched down and in the right spot, but if you do it right every time and cinch it down and make sure everything is tight then it'll be fine. Highly recommend.

EDIT: it is on top of a 4 door acura integra. 1991 I think.

Last edited:

eRod

Chimp
May 16, 2007
cheers,

I rang thule , but they dont sell that particular one in uk/ireland for some reason
that's a load of crap. keep an eye on ebay and such and maybe you can get one on the cheap. also, note that sportworks is the original designer of the sidearm. they originally made them for the front of buses and then came out with the one for roof racks on cars; i'm pretty sure thule bought sportworks a few years back. so if you see one out there on the web branded "sportworks" it's the same (better imo). my parents neighbor was throwing his out so my dad, being the resourceful guy he is, picked it up and threw it in his garage for me. i then bought a thule one at a local shop. anyways, good luck bro.

rewster

Monkey
Feb 3, 2007
charlotte nc
i have the sportworks version, holds my sunday just fine

nice whip eRod......I totalled my 337 edition a few months back. after it was modded the car was uber fast, ask the tree.

DownhillR3

Monkey
May 31, 2007

kills your gas mileage but if you can't go hitch mount like me then you don't have much of a choice. side arms work pretty well but i would suggest running a bungie cord from the tray up around the top tube back down to keep the bike from moving around at high speed, say 85 and up. :biggrin:
Thanks for the picture & info. I'll be mounting it on an A4, no way am I going hitch. Not to worried about gas mileage since my DH park is local. When the Side Arm is not in use, can the arm lay down towards the back or only forwards over the front windshield? -Thanks

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
You can lay it back. It is fairly tall even flat, so still alot of wind resistance, but you can lay them down flat backwards