Quantcast

DH Cranks

SthFRider

Monkey
Apr 16, 2008
Atlanta,Ga
I'm looking to get a new crank for my downhill bike. I want to hear some of your favorite cranks. Which you like, which to stay away from. Any advice would be appreciated. Im looking at the Race Face Diablous right now but the Saint 810 looks pretty sweet too.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
go with shimano, it's wacky that race face has the spindle connected to the non drive side, makes no sense what so ever...

like said above Saints are the joint.

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
it's wacky that race face has the spindle connected to the non drive side, makes no sense what so ever...
Actually, it allows the cranks to lay flat in packaging. This saves a lot when shipping them, especially in bulk. Might not be a technological feature/benefit but does have some level of practicality in purchasing and sales.

-ska todd

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
i have the Atlas FR and the Diablous.. both are great but the Atlas is a ton lighter

whats the big deal about the spindle on the non-drive side btw?

wood booger

Monkey
Jul 16, 2008
the land of cheap beer
Actually, it allows the cranks to lay flat in packaging. This saves a lot when shipping them, especially in bulk. Might not be a technological feature/benefit but does have some level of practicality in purchasing and sales.

-ska todd
Sweeeet!

Can I get a DH frame designed to fit in a 12"X12" box?

Design for packagability may be great for Walmart plastic junk but it is pretty dumb for mtn bikes!

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
my atlas FR's are holding up great, been riding them since march and no problems. "set em and forget em!" :thumb: that ones for you billy!

nelsonjm

Monkey
Feb 16, 2007
Columbia, MD
Sweeeet!

Design for packagability may be great for Walmart plastic junk but it is pretty dumb for mtn bikes!
From a performance/reliability/engineering perspective, what's so bad about having the non-attached crank on drive-side?

slowitdown

Monkey
Mar 30, 2009
If you choose RaceFace cranks, buy a Shimano XT/SLX/Hone bottom bracket because the RF one will die quickly. I went through 3 RF BBs on my Atlas crankset in the same time I used the same old BB on a Shimano Hone... that Hone BB is still going strong!

I would suggest Shimano SLX or RF Atlas unless you are really heavy or prone to bending cranks. No need to add weight!

If you need 83mm BB width, you'll have fewer choices.

-ska todd
Brilliant... thanks Todd! I always wondered about that myself. Makes great practical and economic sense.

I agree with nelsonjim -- wood booger, it's not less durable in the case of RF cranksets.

Last edited:

SthFRider

Monkey
Apr 16, 2008
Atlanta,Ga
Thanks for the input guys. It seems as though the saint is the way to go. It is at tad bit expensive but in the long run i guess its worth it. Do they make it in the 83 shell?

Timekiller

Monkey
Oct 9, 2006
NJ
Sweeeet!

Then everyone complains that so and so brand is $X.XX higher priced. :think:

You just can't please some people.

Oh and saint ftw!

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Thanks for the input guys. It seems as though the saint is the way to go. It is at tad bit expensive but in the long run i guess its worth it. Do they make it in the 83 shell?
It's quite logical they make the most know dh crank in 83mm standard. Get the 165mm long though. You won't regret it ;)

mccdh

Monkey
Sep 9, 2008
Comox
If you choose RaceFace cranks, buy a Shimano XT/SLX/Hone bottom bracket because the RF one will die quickly. I went through 3 RF BBs on my Atlas crankset in the same time I used the same old BB on a Shimano Hone... that Hone BB is still going strong!

I would suggest Shimano SLX or RF Atlas unless you are really heavy or prone to bending cranks. No need to add weight!

If you need 83mm BB width, you'll have fewer choices.

Brilliant... thanks Todd! I always wondered about that myself. Makes great practical and economic sense.

I agree with nelsonjim -- wood booger, it's not less durable in the case of RF cranksets.
Ever tried replacing the RF bearings with the Enduros at the time of installation? Just curious because that is what I just did with mine and Ive only put a few weeks on them so test.

slowitdown

Monkey
Mar 30, 2009
Ever tried replacing the RF bearings with the Enduros at the time of installation? Just curious because that is what I just did with mine and Ive only put a few weeks on them so test.
I'll bet that will help solve the problem. I hear the problem is that RF either under-greased the bearings, or used faulty grease on them. Also I've heard that the general quality of the bearings is very low. Don't know whether those rumors are true, but I do know that the RF BBs fail very early. Strange for a product designed to be used on the damp side of BC.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
did you use a bearing press/puller to take the old ones out? i was thinking about getting the Enduros for mine, but the tool they show to remove it retails at over $100.

my RF bearings all die within a year of using them. the Enduro bearings are a great idea until you get to the super pricey ones.

Tom DH

Monkey
Apr 24, 2003
UK
I don’t think it’s the Race Face BB that are the problem its more the way the cranks tighten up.
I think it is very hard to tighten up Race Face ranks without putting to much preload onto the bearings. For a start the Frame BB shell needs to be spot on in length which most aren’t (my heckler frame BB frame measured up are around 66.8mm and it came faced). Without having the correct spacing it is very easy to put too much preload onto the bearings and any side load on bearings will just kill them.
I like Race face product put I always use Shimano cranks as there is a lot more room for error in BB shell widths, and hardly any preload on the bearings as the cranks tighten up on the side. They are just like a headset, if you tighten up the top cap bolt to much your head set will feel crap.

mccdh

Monkey
Sep 9, 2008
Comox
did you use a bearing press/puller to take the old ones out? i was thinking about getting the Enduros for mine, but the tool they show to remove it retails at over $100.

my RF bearings all die within a year of using them. the Enduro bearings are a great idea until you get to the super pricey ones.

Yeah my local shop suggested it when i got my new set in. 35$ cad for the bearings. They had all of the tools for me to use and I did the work. We looked in their stock for some ceramic bearings but there weren't any and I didn't really need that extra jump in price.

I will probably put these through a good test, the last set didn't even last a year, they felt like crap long before I replaced them.

mccdh

Monkey
Sep 9, 2008
Comox
I don’t think it’s the Race Face BB that are the problem its more the way the cranks tighten up.
I think it is very hard to tighten up Race Face ranks without putting to much preload onto the bearings. For a start the Frame BB shell needs to be spot on in length which most aren’t (my heckler frame BB frame measured up are around 66.8mm and it came faced). Without having the correct spacing it is very easy to put too much preload onto the bearings and any side load on bearings will just kill them.
I like Race face product put I always use Shimano cranks as there is a lot more room for error in BB shell widths, and hardly any preload on the bearings as the cranks tighten up on the side. They are just like a headset, if you tighten up the top cap bolt to much your head set will feel crap.
I used to have Saint cranks, and after installing the Diabolous, I wish i had the old saints back. Much more foolproof, Easy to remove when getting that crucial spacing for chainguides, new chainrings, etc etc. I love the diabolous, they do exactly what theyre built for, but I think my next set of cranks will be Saint.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Yeah my local shop suggested it when i got my new set in. 35$ cad for the bearings. They had all of the tools for me to use and I did the work. We looked in their stock for some ceramic bearings but there weren't any and I didn't really need that extra jump in price.

I will probably put these through a good test, the last set didn't even last a year, they felt like crap long before I replaced them.
i called my buddy to see if they have a bb press/puller so i can buy a set of the Grade 5 ceramic bearings...i couldnt imagine spending $105 for the Zero ceramic bearings.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
When it comes to cranks, anything but Shimano is almost stupid from a cost/weight/durability standpoint.