Quantcast

DH Fender

kona-ryder

Monkey
Jul 18, 2006
Above you on the podium.
Ok guys, I got a tuffy for you.
I live in the Pacific Northwest, so in the winter a fender is a MUST. We are talking rain for 6 months of the year and mud above your front hub. Anyways, I hate the retarted moto look that alot of the big fenders give you, as well as the fact that you cant see the front wheel (crucial on skinnies where you are 5ft off the ground). Now that I am running a Boxxer my 'Zocchi direct mount fender wont work.
Anyways, while watching the following video:
http://transitionbikes.com/2007/Video.cfm go down to the 2006 Dirtbag video.
I found the perfect fender. Towards the end you will notice the guy riding with the fender that only protrudes to the rear, blocking the vast majority of the mud, but not interfearing with vision. I was wondering what company it was that manufactured that fender. Also, if you dont know, could you suggest anything similar in style to the Zocchi ones.
Thanks.

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
You could easily make that with a modified THE. I have a THE DH fender that hits the top of the stachions when I jump...so I need to midify mine too. I would say its not a good idea to have it that short though in the NW. I might just try a dremel to my fender and shorten it about 1/4th and take the front off.

And to get rid of that "moto" look, trim the sides off.

jus

Chimp
Nov 3, 2004
The majority of the mud that hits your face/body is spat up from your front tire into the air and you ride into it.... The easiest way is to grab an old DH tube, cut it to fit from your fork arch to your bottom crown. Cut holes in each side and zip tie the four corners down tight.

You could also throw a down tube fender on because there is a little bit of mud that will come straight up. This is the best way to do it with getting away from that moto look.

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
gatorade makes a perfect fender just for your application. if you take a used normal sized gatorade bottle, sharp hole punching utensile, and zip ties then you can make your own damn fender for the price of a gatorade bottle. cut that bad boy in half, punch 4 holes in it to feed the zip ties threw, and wrap the ties around your frame.

SteezyWeezy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2006
portland, oregon
gatorade makes a perfect fender just for your application. if you take a used normal sized gatorade bottle, sharp hole punching utensile, and zip ties then you can make your own damn fender for the price of a gatorade bottle. cut that bad boy in half, punch 4 holes in it to feed the zip ties threw, and wrap the ties around your frame.
plus you'll be hydrated

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
just watched the video, pretty sure it's a cut marzocchi.

If you're willing to not be a girl about the moto-look, THE makes a clear fender. Otherwise your best bet is to cut the front off a the bracket and just use the rear.

There are only two companies that make decent fenders now, THE and mudmachine...but you can sometimes find decent stuff from SKS or something....check pricepoint and jenson, one of them had a decent deal (10 bucks) on a cheap black fender.

kona-ryder

Monkey
Jul 18, 2006
Above you on the podium.
Alright guys. Anyone know if there is anything resembling the Marzocchi as far as styling goes? I really liked the look of my old one. Also, anyone know of a dmf (direct mount fender) for a Boxxer?

DIRTWRKS

Monkey
Aug 13, 2003
Canada EH !
The majority of the mud that hits your face/body is spat up from your front tire into the air and you ride into it.... The easiest way is to grab an old DH tube, cut it to fit from your fork arch to your bottom crown. Cut holes in each side and zip tie the four corners down tight.

Yup, that what a lot of racers do up here when conditions get sloppy.

L

luelling

post a pic with whatever you decide and let us know how it works. I'm in Salem, OR and I would like a nice mud solution

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
THE fenders can unbolt front and rear...Atleast my DH wide does. And if you dont like the inch and a half long metal piece sticking out, cutting is always an option.

Stickler

Chimp
Feb 12, 2005
Bellingham, WA
Take a look at DGS fenders. Local Washington company that makes a really high quality product----Fanatik bike in Bellingham had some a few days ago.

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
^^How does that one atatch to the bike? Any place that I can order directly from?
I would create my own "u-bolts" by threading some aluminum rod probably . . . or you could always go the zip-tie route. IMO bottom crowns should all come tapped for fenders.

M/C shops carry Acerbis plastic. And maybe some of the bigger onlines like Motorcycle USA Superstore or MX South.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I know you're anti-moto, but I have this:

The front is dh and the rear is xc...I would buy an xc front and mount just the rear. They're cheap and the bracket is made out of cheap steel, so cutting it won't be a problem.