Quantcast

DH/FR shocks, wheelsets, etc., which is better?

BIGHITR

WINNING!
Nov 14, 2007
Maryland, east coast.
Sorry, but his is going to be a long thread. I've got some serious questions to ask and I am looking for people who are very knowledgeable and edjucated on the subject.

I just got a brand new Gary Fisher King Fisher 1. (see above) It came with a Manitou Travis Instrinsic single crown 1.5 steer tube, Fox DHX 4.0 shock, (same as 5.0 but w/o the bottom out feature) and Bontrager King Earl rims and hubs, and Big Earl tires.

A new fork is worth more than a used one. So I'm not riding the bike yet and going to be taking the parts off and sell the OEM stuff Ebay this month and buying better parts. I'm swapping the fork, the shock, wheels, and tires.

Please understand I'm not asking everyone here to reply. I am not looking for answers like, "I like this shock because I have one..," I'm really looking more or less for educated answers from people that either have ridden both, or know a lot about the product as to what is truly better and more importantly, why.

I want the best parts that are more for DH/FR, so weight is not a concern.
The OEM rims are Bontrager King Earl, the hubs are King Earl part aluminum, part carbon fiber, front 20mm axel, rear 12mm skewer, offset rim 6 bolt disk. (see here)

The King Earl wheelset consists of King Earl hubs, 14/15/14 spokes and King Earl disk rims offset, I believe 29mm width, 32 spoke. see below

You can read more info on them on Bontrager's site.

I've looked online and heard a lot of forums talk about the best wheelsets for DH and FR and everyone seems to say, Sun Ringlé.

Sun Ringlé offers a wheelset called the A.D.D. on their site. They consist of the Sun Ringlé jumping flea hub, 15 guage straight spokes and Sun Ringlé 34mm MTX rims. (32 or 36 spoke) See below.

Which would be better, the OEM Bontrager King Earl set or the Sun Ringlé?

Is the Sun Ringlé jumping flea hub better than the Bontrager aluminum carbon fiber combo?

Would it be better to sell the Bontrager Wheelset or separate rim and hub, or as a set? They go for $550 on line.

I've been on a Cane Creek Cloud Nine and have bee VERY pleased with the shock, performance and ride. This will be my first spring ride bike.

The King Fisher OEM shock is a FOX DHX 4.0 same as the 5.0 only no bottom out feature. Fox want's $150 labor and $65 for the part to make it a 5.0. I'm not blowing another $215 plus ship back and forth $20 for a bottom out feature.

The Fox DHX 4.0 has a manual turn spring preload, rebound, what they call pro-pedal to stop pedal bob located on the far end of the boost chamber and about 125lb boost chamber. No bottom out or compression but I believe the Pro-Pedal is their compression. So there are 3 adjusts and manual spring preload adjust.

Then there is the Manitou 6-way Swinger and the Manitou Revox speed sensitive Intrinsic. see here

The Manitou Swinger seems to have the most tuning ability but the Revox I hear is a better shock for some reason due to it's speed sensitive Intrinsic feature and we all know the Manitou Travis Triple Intrinsic is a top notch fork.

The Manitou Swinger has a manual turn spring preload, Rebound, SPV Platform Pressure, SPV Volume, Low Speed Compression, High Speed Compression.

The Manitou Revox Intrinsic is a "speed sensitive' intrinsic shock, that has a manual turn spring preload, rebound, Intrinsic Air, No-Tools Volume, high and low speed compression.

The Swinger seems to have the most adjustment nobs for tuning. However the Intrinsic feature of the Revox, Manitou stated was better due to it's speed sensitive intrinsic dampening.

Now onto the shock of the year for 2007. I'd say hand's down I'd buy a Cane Creek because I've had two AD-5's that eventually failed and Cane Creek is a great company that stands behind their product. Cane Creek handed me a Cloud Nine that I've had for about 6 years and it's exactly what I like, using my air pressure, compression, and rebound settings. I have no pedal bob, great compression dampening and rebound. So naturally I'm all ready to unload the Fox DHX on Ebay and go off and buy a Cane Creek Double Barrel just for Cane Creeks reliability and standing by me, their customer, after so many years.

The Cane Creek Double barrel though uses twin tube technology while the rest use a single tube. The Double Barrel has a manual turn spring preload, but separates the rebound and compression into two chambers.

There are separate high and low speed adjusts for the compression tube, and rebound tube thus controling the flow of oil through the valving more than single tube design.

Like all the other piggy back shocks mentioned, it too has an air boost chamber.

I really like the more tunable shock however Cane Creek's double barrel has a MAJOR drawback that I really don't like and it will probably be the only reason why I rule it out. Unlike it's competition, it does not have the easy of use when doing these adjustments in the woods. With the Manitou and Fox, all one needs is two fingers to turn the knobs to adjust the rebound and compression tuning. With the Cane Creek, you need a screwdriver and a 10 hex nut driver. So tuning the Cane Creek and making on-trail adjustments is going to be more of a pain than the other shocks. So is the twin tube technology really worth it until Cane Creek addresses the problem by switching from nut and screw driver adjusts to finger adjusts?

Which shock is better suited for DH/FR and more tunable.., the OEM Fox DHX 4.0 that came on the King Fisher 1, the Manitou 6-way Swinger, the Manitou Revox Intrinsic, or the Cane Creek Double Barrel, and why?

As to the fork and tires, I've already made up my mind. I'm selling the King Earl tires, for 2.5 Maxxis Minions and I'm swapping the single crown 1.5 inch steer tube Manitou Travis Intrinsic 180mm for a 1.8 inch Manitou Travis Triple Intrinsic 203mm. Which means the brand new Cane Creek 1.5 head set and the King Earl stem will be on Ebay too.

So I'd really appreciate some educated technological input as to what is better and why.

Thanks

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
How much did you pay for the bike? You might be better off beating on it as is right now and saving up for a new bike all together.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Nice bike.

Don't change wheels. I've had nothing but terrible experiences with SUn Ringle (hubs) and wouldn't ride a Ringle hub again free of charge. The upside is they have a good warranty dept.

You didn't explain what you didn't like about the DHX 4.0 (if anything?) but if youre itching for something different you can consider having it rebuild by PUSH for your frame, weight, and riding style. I have a PUSH'd Fox shock and it is a world better then the stock shock ever was.

Don't get hung up on upgrades for upgrade-sake.

Eren

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2006
mill creek, WA (now in Surrey UK)
not to be mean, but when you ask people whove run these parts to give you feedback, you dont need to tell them what each one does ie, the adjustments on the DHX, things about the bontrager wheelset, and ringle wheelset, blah blah.

With that being said for you rear shock options i would say the dhx 4 will be a fine DH shock. I ran a dhx 3 on my sunday team and was more than pleased with its performance. But if you getting a new one, the cane creek and revox would be better than the swinger. I would recomend the cane creek because of its numerous adjustments, and its a shock you can get really dialed in to your liking. I have no ride experience on the revox so i cant really comment on that but i can say the double barrel rides very nice and so does the DHX 4. If your willing to blow 600 on a rear shosck (cane creek double barrel) why not save that 600 towards a new bike? Also with a new fork our also gonna spend at least 600 for a DH fork, thats 1200, then by the time you get the ringle wheelset you would spend close to 1600. Im not tell you how to spend your money, just that mnaybe you should get a differnt bike and sell this one complete or ride this bike till your sick of it and get a whole differnet complete.

My suggestions would be to keep the DHX 4, and go for the ringle wheelset, ive never ridden a bontrager for DH, but my ringle held up countless whistler days and just regular riding/racing on my 7 point. Third on the fork, im not going to comment on the travis triple and single crown as ive never ridden one. But if you are looking for a DH fork look for a boxxer race or team.

BIGHITR

WINNING!
Nov 14, 2007
Maryland, east coast.
I just bought this new bike last week. I've been riding since I think around '96 or so. But I haven't kept up with a lot of the new bike Tech in a long time. I just want to get some input from people in the know. And I don't want to upgrade for upgrade sake. The reason I ask now is that it's better to sell the parts off the bike when they are brand new unused. They'll fetch more money on Ebay. That way I dont' have to add as much to buy better equipment, assuming I don't already have it on my bike. And which would you prefer on Ebay? Used fork, or new fork never rode? Most will jump at the unrode fork. It's about the best you can get for the least $$. But hands down, new will get more than used on Ebay. So there is no complaint on the Fox DHX 4.0 at all! I just want the best on my bike now from day one.

I heard people saying 5th element, FOX DHX, I hear Sun Ringlé, DT Swiss, when it comes to sturdy DH/FR type equip. I just want some input to decide if parts stay or I sell them and get better equip, that's all. No biggy.

BIGHITR

WINNING!
Nov 14, 2007
Maryland, east coast.
not to be mean, but when you ask people whove run these parts to give you feedback, you dont need to tell them what each one does...

... the cane creek and revox would be better than the swinger. I would recomend the cane creek because of its numerous adjustments, and its a shock you can get really dialed in to your liking.

...the double barrel rides very nice and so does the DHX 4.
No you are not being mean. I did't take it that way. I put all the tech info in and pics to make it easier for those in the know who will be reading this not to have to go to all websites of the products to remember all the aspects or specs of each product. No biggy.

Manitou did say what you said about the Revox being better than the swinger though.

So you don't mind the double barrel screw driver and hex nut adjustments? Isn't it a little inconvenient to get out tools over finger adjustments?

Eren

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2006
mill creek, WA (now in Surrey UK)
No you are not being mean. I don't take it that way. I put all the tech info in so those in the know reading this wouldn't have to go to all websites of the products to remember all the aspects or specs of each product. No biggy.

Manitou did say what you said about the Revox being better than the swinger though.

So you don't mind the double barrel screw driver and hex nut adjustments? Isn't it a little inconvenient to get out tools over finger adjustments?
i personally dont own a double barrel, but once they are dialed in they ride verry nicely. It really depends how pickey you are with your suspension. The double barrel in my opinion is the best shock on the market and because of that i wouldnt mind the screw driver/hex ish.
Im either gonna go double barrel or vivid on my DHR

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
Depends how often you adjust your settings. I got mine dialed by the second weekend on my bike and I haven't touched it since, but some people like to switch things around all the time for different rides (I just race/ride resorts/shuttle on this bike).

You still haven't told us what this bike is for though. What kind of trails? Pedaling or getting carried to the top? Is there racing in your future? Are you especially fat or skinny?

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Sounds like some friend or someone else is filling your head with what THEY think is cool. All the 'upgrades' you mention are nothing more than personal preference...

Ride the bike for a year. You will break parts. Change them at that point, when you get a better idea of what you like/dislike.

No matter how much $$ you spend now, you will want to change things as you learn your preferences. There is NO reason to start spending money now when you do not know what YOU like or dislike.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
The DHX without bottom out is somewhat crippled, it will work well however. Of the shocks mentioned, I would go with a Cane Creek, or upgrade to a 5.0 (which is the cheapest option).

The Sun Ringle ADD wheels are junk. Actually, the rims are fine, but the jumping flea hubs are terrible. They loosen quite easily, have sloppy engagement and generally just feel cheap.

Just ride what you have now, there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. Well except for that fork, it is indeed a travesty. Don't bother with a manitou fork at all in fact. Get a RS or a Fox or a Marzocchi.

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Sorry, but his is going to be a long thread. I've got some serious questions to ask and I am looking for people who are very knowledgeable and edjucated on the subject.
I be edjucated... :busted:

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
ride the dhx until you have problems with it or are looking for more suspension performance. the double barrel is an insanely expensive shock, and you may want to wait to upgrade the rear shock until you really feel the dhx isn't up to par. i think it will be fine, no reason to blow money on the cane creek right away.
the wheels will be nice too, there was a review in bike magazine that said they were a pretty impressive wheelset, and i know that bontrager is making some great rims now.
the things that should be leaving the bike are the fork and the brakes. hayes are absolute poop, grab a pair of avid juicys or codes depending on your weight/terrain you ride. as for the fork, i'd say go for a 66 or totem. i'd almost lean towards the 66 because of the totem's previous issues, but if the problems are fixed for 08, then it will officially be the finest 180mm travel single crown on the market in my opinion.

BIGHITR

WINNING!
Nov 14, 2007
Maryland, east coast.
Okay, some good input here, that's what I'm looking for.

Answers to some questions...
I like the Cane Creek air ride. But I'm not going air ride for a big hit bike.

My riding style: I like going fast down hill in the woods. Mostly single track, tight turns, going over logs, LOVE rocky runs and techincals, the rockier the more fun going fast over them, I like to do drop offs and the occassional jump here and there. I'm used to a 37lb bike so the King Fisher 1 weighing in at 42lbs is okay with me. I'm 153 lbs slim. No riding the lift. I have no problem pedaling a heavy bike up hills. Once I set my shock I normally leave it. However I do compression and rebound adjusts on the trail time to time. No racing in my future but may do it if I ever hit the ski resort and try it.

So that's two no's on the sun ringle's... hmm. Wasn't expecting that.

I've seen too many bad episodes of friends with single crowns endo-ing where the handle bar stabbed them in the stomache/ribs, or worse, the doo dads... Thus I bought dual crown day one. As to the RS or Fox fork suggests, I looked at the Boxxer World Cup and the Fox 40 for the 8 inchs of travel and the dual crown. I've heard one bad thing by a mechanic on the Fox 40 as being a difficult shock to work on. I've taken my Manitou apart for 5 of nine years to clean and lube maintenance it and it's still in great shape. The Boxxer World cup at $1200 bux is out of my price range. But if money was no object...

The difficulty to work on part made me stay away from the Fox 40 and stay with the Manitou idea because I have one and had no probs with it for 9 years. I don't believe Manitou is a bad shock. The Travis Triple had rave reviews when it came out thus the reason I had interest. Speed sensative intrinsic dampening sparked my interest. I don't just want plush. I want the fork and shock to work differently when I'm going slow over rocks, pedalling up hill, and going fast down hill. So the Revox with intrinsic dampening got my attention.
As to PUSH the Fox, not sure where to start, what it does, the costs, or voiding warranty.

The suggestion to keep the DHX 4.0 and upgrade it to a 5.0 would cost me $80 for parts and $60-100 for labor. Is it worth $180? Or sell it and pay that or less to get a Revox?

Thus the reasons for the questions to get input. Keep the suggestions coming.

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
You can use the search engine to find out more info on these

Hubs:
Cheaper & Solid, less tech - Hope Pro II
More expensive, Solid, more tech - Hadley, King, Industry 9

Rims
Mavic 721 / 729 / 823 (Tubeless)
Alex Supra D
Sun Ringle MTX

Shock
-DHX 5
-CCDB
-Avalanche
-PUSHed FOX DHX

I'd just sell the rear derailleur (pick up an X.9 one) and the fork, beat on the bike for a year, then get a better one. You're sinking money into something that should be a more gateway bike...

You're not going to get a ton of money for a lot of those bontrager parts so you might as well beat em up and figure out what you like/don't like about the bike.

haromtnbiker

Turbo Monkey
Oct 3, 2004
Cary, NC
If you want the best wheelset, it seems that Industry 9 seems the way to go. I have no first hand experience as they are WAY out of my price range, but everybody I know that own them love em. Same with the double barrel. I know several people with a double barrel and now swear they will ride nothing else.

www.industrynine.net

El Gordo

Monkey
Aug 15, 2007
Vernon, NJ
The Fisher is a nice bike bro.. As for the DHX 4.0 keep it unless you have the cash o upgrade to a CCDB which is an amazing shock the best actually, but I would not spend $200 just to upgrade to a 5.0 not worth it if anything spend $180 and send the 4.0 to PUSH and they will tune it to your weight and riding style, I have been on a DHX 5.0 all year and its a great shock but it can use some help I think Push is a great upgrade..

For a wheelset well it took me like 4 months to decide did alot of research and talked to alot of people that I know that ride. Unless you are gonna be doing just DH then you can get rid of alot of the rims like a MTX, 729's etc what I mean is you dont need a Heavy rim.. You weigh 150lb I would keep it lite and go with a Mavic 823 if you want to go UST or a 721 if you dont also Syncros ds28 or a DP32 is a great rim. Alot of people dont like Atomlab rims on this forum but I know a few guys that ride them all year hard and race them. For you the new Pimp Lite rim is nice a guy from work has been riding them all year races alot and he is about 175Lb and they have not blinked.. I run there new Pimp rims but they are heavy and they are for my DH rig and I am 240lb... Either way whatever rim you get lace them to Hope Pro 2 hubs they are light and strong and they will save you some money over Hadleys.. A.D.D wheelset forget them I looked into them and almost everyone I talked to had issues with them you would be better off going with Outlaws then the ADD and you would save about $200..

As for a fork I dont think you need a DC for that bike, you aren't just gonna resort ride and full out DH I think 200mm of travel is overkill for that bike.. I would stay with a SC fork and go with a Zokey 66 ATA great fork and you have the adjustably you need when you want to climb with the bike, if you are a RS man look into a Lyrik look into a Uturn fork, the Boxxer Team and the Fox 40 both are great forks but they are all out DH forks and they both require a good amount of maintenance nothing I am sure you cant handle but like I said before you dont need a DC fork..

So to conclude here is what I would do..

Mavic 721 laced to Hope Pro 2 Hubs in Blue.. NICE
Marzocchi 08 66 ATA
And ride that crap out of the DHX then see if you feel like you need a diff shock or some tune, then send that baby out to PUSH..

Hope that helped, good luck with the bike dude...

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
If you want the best wheelset, it seems that Industry 9 seems the way to go. I have no first hand experience as they are WAY out of my price range, but everybody I know that own them love em. Same with the double barrel. I know several people with a double barrel and now swear they will ride nothing else.
Not disagreeing with the quality of these parts, HOWEVER....Cane Creek is in NC, I-9 is in NC, you live in NC.......coincidence??

I know that when libtech/gnu snowboard was in Seattle NO ONE paid full price for them around here. Burlington Vermont has a similar issue with Burton snowboards. People tend to speak very highly of items they got a 'bro deal' especially if they feel a 'local' connection......

Oct 30, 2006
You should just sell the whole bike in pieces while your at it, even the frame. I dont trust Gary-Fisher-Price frames....

Just get a cheap 5spot/rfx/6.6/VPX/..... used bike on ebay with good parts this winter when skibums are strapped for cash! Upgrading parts on what you have right now on the Gary Fisher frame just seems silly to me. Industry Nine wheelset on a GaryFisher, are you kidding me?

El Gordo

Monkey
Aug 15, 2007
Vernon, NJ
You should just sell the whole bike in pieces while your at it, even the frame. I dont trust Gary-Fisher-Price frames....

Just get a cheap 5spot/rfx/6.6/VPX/..... used bike on ebay with good parts this winter when skibums are strapped for cash! Upgrading parts on what you have right now on the Gary Fisher frame just seems silly to me. Industry Nine wheelset on a GaryFisher, are you kidding me?
What dont you trust about Fisher frames?? The guy started Mountain Bikes.. Fisher bikes are nice like there Pro-caliber or HiFi great XC bikes. I mean it wouldn't be my first choice for a DH or FR bike but why would it be silly or why would we be kidding if we put a set of i9's on a Fisher.. Once again if the guy wants to do a Fox 40 some I9's a CCDB with some Hope Motos on his Fisher who the FAWK cares dude its his bike if he rides it and loves it more power to him if he wants to upgrade it.. Its so annoying to read these kinds on replies you should say " Like oh my god... He has I9's on a Fisher Price Frame"... Who really is the POSER.. The guy who rides what he has and wants to upgrade his way or the guy that bashes him for doing it... Yet has a Sunday with a Boxxer WC and some Green 5050 and even that guy who cares good for him if thats what makes him happy... I just dont see why people on this forums care so much what people but on there bikes...If you dont think the bike is worth upgrading well first dont buy one and second dont post in his thread..

Anyway thats just my .02 on this subject .. I jst keep seeing more and more of these Haters... Ahhh Back to drinking i go

BIGHITR

WINNING!
Nov 14, 2007
Maryland, east coast.
...I mean it wouldn't be my first choice for a DH or FR...

Once again if the guy wants to do a Fox 40 some I9's a CCDB with some Hope Motos on his Fisher who the FAWK cares dude its his bike if he rides it and loves it more power to him if he wants to upgrade it..

Its so annoying to read these kinds on replies...

I just dont see why people on this forums care so much what people but on there bikes...
Hey I really appreciate the comments and I did expect some people to cut down my new bike. I really hate posting questions sometimes on these type of websites because everyone has their opinions and some people get offended and then it becomes a big shouting fest. I really didn't want that to happen. I figured some would bash my new bike. I'm not upset about it. Originally I was looking into an Intense Uzzi. I'd like a down hill type bike that I can pedal up hill. Put three chain rings on an M3 and I'll pedal it up hill. Hey I don't care. It's good for my heart. But in this case, I had to stay with Trek or Gary Fisher due to the bike frame warranty issue. I received an incredible deal due to my frame warranty added to the discontinued King Fisher line which brought it down to what I thought was fair. I wasn't crazy about Gary Fisher either when my bike shop suggested it. When I saw their bikes, I said, "No way! I really want something much more sturdy that can take some abuse." Then he turned to the last page in the catalog and showed me the King Fisher. Then I got interested. At it's price I was not interested. I was ready to blow $3K on a new bike. But not on a Gary Fisher. That much, I would have gone Kona maybe just because I'm seeing a lot of them around here. And I wasn't going $4.5K on an Intense Uzzi. Especially when I saw on Intense's website that the standard Uzzi had lesser bolt on's than the Fisher. All the Uzzi's upgrade options, X.9 to X.0, Swinger to Fox DHX 5.0 etc., the Fisher already had. So I thought, buy the Fisher. I considered buying a used Intense on Ebay but used downhill bike... chances are it's been beat to death and the frame will crack on ME, not the other guy that had it. Considering I was on five inches of travel and saw everyone in the woods for the past few years with brand new 7''-8'' inch Kona's, I'm happy with the travel on the Fisher. It was better than a Trek Remedy frame replacement that Trek offered. In the past I've seen on Intense's website, Manitou Travis Triple on their DH bike. Intense gets a lot of world cup titles. If the Manitou is good enough for them, then it's good enough for me. Yes 8'' is over kill on the fisher, but I'd rather have more if I ever need it, than just just enough.

As to Industry 9, yes I did see those online already as did I see the DT Swiss hubs. I liked both hubs. I also liked the DEE MAX set that had the similar type of straight pull spoke design the Industry 9 had. But $900 for a wheelset's out of my range. I'm figuring the Bontrager's are $550 online. If I can get $450-400, $200 more I get a really nice set. I looked at the mavic's too. What I want is a wider rim and a good hub. Chris King was also on my interest list for hubs. So I'm glad to get all this input from everyone because now I can go look up all this stuff and decide. And the payment for that info.., I expected to take a beating from a few people about my bike. I just don't want you guys to start fighting back and forth about it. I'm listening to all these names I've never heard of before and now have ammo to go online and look up these sites, see the product, do research and make my decision. And that is what I wanted from this. Not to get everybody angry at each other. Just some good info for me to then go and find what I really want. I'm mainly interested in a wider rim say 34mm. The MTX rim has that. Maybe a Chris King set of hubs and I've got a nice set for me to pound on. I'd say the double barrel is too pricey too, considering the extra work to tune it, I know it's an incredible shock but I wanted to hear input on it. Any other suggestsion and opinions are welcome. So thanks for everyone's input. :)

El Gordo

Monkey
Aug 15, 2007
Vernon, NJ
Dude.. Get Hope or Hadleys for the price that Kings are you can save some cash for other stuff and they are just as good.. I rather have 729's laced to Hadleys over Deemax's any day. I would stick to a SC fork like the 66 ATA you can adjust it for the diff type of riding your gonna be doing... Good luck

miuan

Monkey
Jan 12, 2007
Bratislava, Slovakia
I do own a pair of Hadley hubs laced to MTX welded rims, and they are a bombproof wheelset. But hey, the quality of hubs isn't substantial to the ride quality as much as fork, shock or brakes. Having owned a 1.5" steerer 2007 66 ETA and ridden it on my 7point, I must say this fork really does it all. ETA will enable you to choose any ride height you wish, thus eliminating any steep climb that you can still pedal, without the need to painfully reposition your body in order to stay on your bike. As for the shock, I believe you will be fine with a 5th element of DHX 5.0. As your rear seems to have a falling rate suspension, you will need something to compensate for bottom-outs. Still I think it will be best to keep the original DHX4 as this was probably shimmed for your frame and hence should work well.

BIGHITR

WINNING!
Nov 14, 2007
Maryland, east coast.
Thanks people! I really appreciate the input. I'm going to look up the Hope and Hadley hubs and check marzocci line of forks as well as the Mavic rims suggested. I've never laced my own set but I have a truing stand I kept my rims on my rubber brake bike within a millimeter of my rubber so I'm really good at keeping it true and I'd really like to lace my own to get that sense of "I did it myself" vibe going. So thanks to all! MUCH APPRECIATED!

I'm off to research online.

Thanks again!

BIGHITR

WINNING!
Nov 14, 2007
Maryland, east coast.
keep the shock and send it to Push and have them dial it in especially for you. Thats my opinion on the shock
If I send the shock off to PUSH, what will I be looking at at costs? What's there website? And will they be able to put in the bottom out feature on the 4.0 to upgrade it to 5.0? Could I purchase the part from Fox which is $60 and send it to PUSH to get the 5.0 upgrade while their taking it apart anyway right?

ALSO, I've heard Hadley hubs, Hope II. Found Hope's site. Hadley doesn't have one. Where do you get info on Hadleys and the best place place to order one the cheapest?

LASTLY, rims, Mavics and Sun MTX so far sound good. What about Intenses 39mm wide Mag 30's set here? Good, better, or worse than the above?

wanabe

Monkey
Mar 16, 2007
If you are not taking big hits, that wheelset is ok. The hubs might giveout over time. Then upgrade. Any of the suggestions for hadley/ mavic is going to be good. For the DHX, it's an awsome shock, Just no huge drops to flat (no bottom out adjustment). I hate manipoo so yeah a 66 or a totem. A fox36 would probably make the head angle too steep. And don't let anyone tell you that bike is weak or some lame comment like that. They are great bikes. Some one on this forum compared it to an orange, put the pics up side by side, looks prety close. Just not as slack. Get off your computer and ride it!

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
I've got some serious questions to ask and I am looking for people who are very knowledgeable and edjucated on the subject.
So you came here??? :crazy: :plthumbsdown: :disgust:

In all seriousness, you'll lose a LOT of money trying to sell take-offs and replace with something similar. With the wheels, especially, since it costs an arm and a leg to ship that kind of a thing, just ride them till they die and get something else. Hell, if you like the hubs you can get them relaced with a different set of rims. If you're determined to blow 500-700 on a set of wheels go for it, but I'd save that money for hookers and blow. (btw, those Intense rims are MASSIVE and very, very heavy.)

Same goes for the rear shock, it's a good shock with its only real downfall being bottom-out issues (partly due to the teeny tiny bottom out bumper). Ride it, see how you like it, and if you hate it send it to PUSH and you'll get a top-notch shock back for $180.

The only thing I'd say to try to dump before you ride would be the fork, but I saw that dual crown Travis forks sold for $400 on ebay. You *might* get $360 for the single crown version. Then you'll have to drop $1100 on a Totem, or even more on the Fox 40/Boxxer WC (plus don't forget the headset/reducer cups).

So if you're going to spend your money, spend it on the fork. Everything else just ride to see what you like (are the wheels to heavy? not strong enough?) so that when you replace it you know what to buy...

BIGHITR

WINNING!
Nov 14, 2007
Maryland, east coast.
How does one get in touch with PUSH? Will they be able to do the bottom out feature or do I have to contact Fox and get the part etc.,

What are PUSH costs? Website?