Quantcast

DH Headset Stack Height Comparison?

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
With both a flat crown and short drop top crowns, I am having difficulty getting the '02 Monster to fit on my Scream. Plenty of steerer, but once you adjust the clamp points for the Scream's massive heattube, I can't quite get the short drop crown to grab the top of the stanchions...less than a centimeter short w/ the Blackspire DH headset. Would a headset of lower stack height(say the PigDHPro) be enough of a change that I don't have to go with an even taller drop crown? Anyone else run and Scream with a pre-'03 Monster and not have to run a very tall drop crown with their headset? :confused:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
The difference between headset stack heights is just a few mm, not the whole centimeter that you're short.

CK headsets have about the lowest stack height around, I believe, but even that probably wouldn't be enough and it's a $80-100 investment just to find out you're wrong.

If the drop crown is still new you can probably do a swap right from Marz.

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
The pig has a pretty high stack b/c of that massive lower cup. My vote is for a King also....

btw - you don't run gigantic front tires - do you have the stanchions all the way high in the lower crown so there's 176mm of clearance between your knobs and lower crown? That's 175mm of travel + 1mm so you don't poo your pants.....

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Originally posted by DßR
The pig has a pretty high stack b/c of that massive lower cup. My vote is for a King also....
I remember asking something like this here last year...I was asking for the tallest headset for my a BB7 (because the headtube is sooooo short). The Pig headsets were some of the tallest out there.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
Originally posted by binary visions
The difference between headset stack heights is just a few mm, not the whole centimeter that you're short.

CK headsets have about the lowest stack height around, I believe, but even that probably wouldn't be enough and it's a $80-100 investment just to find out you're wrong.

If the drop crown is still new you can probably do a swap right from Marz.
It's not a whole centimeter, but a little bit less.

I have a regular CK in my Chaparral(not SteelSet). I was considering swapping the NoThreadset into my Scream and the BlackSpire DH into the Chaparral(and swapping off the 4" '00 Z1 for the 6" '01 Super T that was on the Scream).

A bigger drop crown will work, but is my last resort(which I am now seriously considering).

'02

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
As a general rule, you shouldn't remove headset cups unless you need to. Every time you take it out and press it back in, the interface becomes a little weaker, and a little more prone to ovalization. If you have the $$, Blackspire headsets are no great shakes and the CK would be an upgrade anyway, might just want to see if you can buy one. There's usually a bunch kicking around in the B&S forum, or the MTBR classifides, for not a lot of money.

Or just measure the total stack height of your CK headset on the Chapparel, then compare it to total stack height on the Blackspire. Then see if that fixes the gap.

Hulkamaniac

Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Germantown, MD
llkoolkeg, is that a drop crown off a 03/04 monster? I had emailed and phoned Marzocchi about getting a drop crown that was in the middle of a flat and the drop crown that I have, but they said there was nothing. This crown doesn't look to have as much of a drop as my drop crown does. What's the actual drop length? If this came off of SDH's giant, might you want to trade for my drop crown off my monster (same '02 as you have there)??? I have a '03 Giant dh team and the drop crown I have is a bit much for the frame (ie, a big spacer underneath it), but Marzocchi said a flat crown would not work. PM me if your interested, I will try to get pics this weekend if you want.

SDH, is this a different drop crown that what originally came with the monster t? I mean, did you get this from Marzocchi after getting the monster.....cause didn't you have a flat crown on the monster when you had the bullit setup for dh racing? PM or email me with info, cause if there is a drop crown is shorter than my drop crown I currently have, I would definitely be interested.

SDH

I'm normal
Oct 2, 2001
Northern Va.
Yup you are right. I had the flat crown but when I went to the Giant it did not fit. I called Marz and the "machined" drop crown (the one that you have) was a boat load of cash! The dude in tech support offered up getting the '03 forged drop crown. It is snugger than the machined one but will fit. Plus it gave me the option of having an intergrated stem. It fit like a charm on the Giant.

A swap with Chris' is a solution but I have a hard time grasping the fact that it will not fit the Bashee cuz the HT on the Giant is rather long and it fit. His blackspire headset is pretty tall. But if you guys can work something out I guess that would be the best of both worlds..........

PS
Did ya get the coiler yet?

Hulkamaniac

Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Germantown, MD
I don't know if it's the pic or if the the crown you had has less drop than mine. I need to measure mine for sure, but it would be cool if it's shorter and Chris wanted to trade.........

Coiler should be here either today or tomorrow. I ended up only getting the coiler dee lux frame, as I have an overabundance of parts laying around that I want to use up. Should turn into an aweosome trail bike for sure.......finally I will have a bike that I can pedal around everywhere and won't have to stand up all the time to do it!

go-ride.com

Monkey
Oct 23, 2001
Salt Lake City, UT
The Black Spire and Chris King head sets are nearly identical in stack height, if anything my BS looks to be a bit lower overall than the Chris King. It doesn't look like changing HS is the answer.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
If I could get it to fit, I would. I just don't see how unless I faced the hell out of the headtube. I guess I'll have to trade for the bigger one Hulkamaniac describes. Has anyone ever seen anything else except the big drop crown fit a '98-'02 Monster to a Scream? :confused:

Hulkamaniac

Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Germantown, MD
Chris, I will try to get a measurement tonight to make sure they are two different length drops. I'm going to be out of the office on a mini-business trip tomorrow, but I will try to get something PM'ed to ya over the weekend.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
Originally posted by Hulkamaniac
Chris, I will try to get a measurement tonight to make sure they are two different length drops. I'm going to be out of the office on a mini-business trip tomorrow, but I will try to get something PM'ed to ya over the weekend.

I'm sure they are. BigRich's drop crown is certainly bigger by at least 25mm than the one SDH hooked me up with.

EDIT: OK, I installed the '03 drop crown and with everything compressed and the stanchions flush in the top crown, I have 170mm of stanchion travel showing- endo city. :dead: