Quantcast

DH in Ecuador??

FirstAscent

Chimp
Apr 23, 2013
Alaska
Has anyone done or heard much about DH options in Ecuador? I'd imagine there are some sweet areas given the mountains/volcanoes I don't have much info.

Thinking about visiting so looking at what all I want to do while I'm there.

I've done some google searches but most results that include "downhill biking" isn't necessarily DH.

Thanks!!

Jul 25, 2012
has anyone done or heard much about dh options in ecuador? I'd imagine there are some sweet areas given the mountains/volcanoes i don't have much info.

Thinking about visiting so looking at what all i want to do while i'm there.

I've done some google searches but most results that include "downhill biking" isn't necessarily dh.

Thanks!!
i have the same question, next year i will go there, i herd a lot of good things about ecquador, near quito, if i have more information i will post here

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Hans Rey did a riding video there, I think it was last year. He hits 5 peaks in 5 days or something like that and talks a little about logistics.

My guess is that most of the riding there will be "adventure riding", and not much (organised) shuttle stuff. I hiked up Las Ilinisas waaaaaaaay back in 1998. All the way back down I kept thinking how awesome the DH would be on a bike. A friend recently went for work and reported seeing a large amount of high-level mountain bikes on the roofs of cars in the Otavalo area, so look around there too.

I would imagine that most hiking areas aren't off-limits to biking yet, except maybe in national parks, but even then, I'd be surprised.

If and when I go back, I will certainly bring my bike, the place has so much potential.

FirstAscent

Chimp
Apr 23, 2013
Alaska
sweet! I'll look at those areas. I plan on heading down in February to visit family in Guayaquil and definitely bringing my bike just on the fact that it has so much potential. I found a video last night and there was a clip of people with there bikes on a tram, no idea where it was though.

How do you think hauling a DH bike up Los Illinizas would be? I'm gonna at least climb Chimborazo, and maybe Cotopaxi, and it sounds like Los Illinizas is a good one for acclimatizing. So I might as well bring the bike :)

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I had a really hard time with the altitude. Just hauling my carcass up the hill was work enough! Unless you have one of those 32lb sdh bikes, I would rather take my trail bike. Check bout the Banos area too... I seem to recall there's a big outdoor adventure scene there too.

FirstAscent

Chimp
Apr 23, 2013
Alaska
yeah air is definitely getting thinner up there. well still waiting on my fork to arrive so not sure how much my bike will weigh but it may just be around 33-34lbs. Baños looks to have some DH trails, sweet! Google has some vids in that area with potential, a lot of dual crown bikes. things are looking good!

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Awesome! Be sure to report back, I'd love to get the low down about the riding scene there, 15 years after I've been...