Quantcast

DH in Europe during winter

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
Guys,
I definitely have to go on south of Europe, like Sanremo, Granada, Canary Islands or Cyprus between January and March to ride my new bike.

What would You recommend?
Sanremo looks reasonable place, because it's "just" 1850km from home. It's dry and warm (9-10*) and there are quite a lot of tracks, there.

What about the rest of spots? Anything else?

saruti

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
Israel
You are more than welcome here in Israel
The winter here is like the summer in les gets
We have here great mountains and chair lifts
Cedric liked it, the ride guide crew liked it
You will love it
And all the riders around here are really good guys and will take you to the best trails and everything.
And I think the living here is less expensive than in Europe
Pm me if you need any help.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
You are more than welcome here in Israel
The winter here is like the summer in les gets
We have here great mountains and chair lifts
Cedric liked it, the ride guide crew liked it
You will love it
And all the riders around here are really good guys and will take you to the best trails and everything.
And I think the living here is less expensive than in Europe
Pm me if you need any help.
have these places websites?

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
I.H3.40, it's not the direction I wanna go, but thanks anyway.

CBJ, do they also organize DH trips? It looks like they are more AM/enduro.

Gelbwurstbrot, I would love to go with switch-backs, but it's too expensive for me this time. I got to leave some money for summer trip to L2A.

Israel is not a one week trip, I am afraid.

Numerik, can You give me more info? I've got a good friend in Maribor, but it's interior of Slovenia.

numerik

Monkey
Jul 22, 2005
Slovenia, Europe
Well, Maribor is "under snow" in winter, but is just 2h away from seaside, and 1h from Shockl (Austria), where you can ride year round (even in snow)
Check slovenian mtb site, for additional info http://www.mtb.si (it's also in english)
The temps at Slovenian coast are pretty much the same as in Liguria (San Remo, Pieve di Teco, Finale Ligure) but is waaay cheaper for sure.
Check Portoroz or Koper for accomodation. Thera are some good tracks around 30km range, like Buzet in Croatia, just over the border.
http://www.vimeo.com/4912075

This is site of the biggest Slovenian sea resort
http://www.portoroz.si/en/

Last edited:

daday

Chimp
Jul 2, 2008
maribor is supposed to run the new gondola in a week or so (mid december) - they said they were gonna transport bikers and have the bikepark open in winter if there is not enough snow for skiing - looks like there is a good chance that will happen !! :rolleyes:

but for a week maribor isnt interesting i think

try finale ligure?! there are many trails - its just not very gnar, except a very vew selected trails :weee:

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
Numerik, where on http://www.mtb.si shall I look for the info about DH tracks?
Slovenian riviera looks beautiful, but can you compare tracks there to Sanremo and Finale Ligure?

daday, I would really like to avoid riding in snow ;) That's way I wanna go further south ;)

numerik

Monkey
Jul 22, 2005
Slovenia, Europe
Well, regarding the DH tracks, you'll find a lot more tracks in Finale Ligure, but you'll have to pay for a guide and shuttle service. San Remo track is rough. Really one of the most demanding tracks and you WILL destroy your bike there.
Near Portoroz/Koper you can find a couple of good tracks (video). I could hook you up with some locals. Lots of bikers stay in this hotel as they have special discounts for them (mtb&road)http://www.salinera.si/en/

Check this site for some organized riding http://www.alptrails.at/

How long do you plan to stay?
Will you ride only DH?
and remember - there are no chairlifts in the south;) Anywhere!

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
When I last asked they did. A group of Dh'ers used to go in December and just take the bus up the mountain. Here is a album from one of the trips:
It is DH, indeed ;)

Numerik,
tracks on Italian Riviera didn't look too rough when Barel, Nico or Gee have ridden them ;)
I will check video at home.
It would be great to have some local help to avoid losing time for looking for trails.
The hotel looks really nice, but I think I will look for something cheaper or an apartment.
I want to stay 7 days. Yes, DH only. My new Glory has 9 gears, only ;) I know, I know. But, can You reach top of the trails by car? Or You have to puch the bike up?

saruti

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
Israel
we dont have DH dedicated places here in israel
but we have great mountain with chier lifts and great DH trails
ome of the tracks was builde by markus stockl for redbull race
the others was builde by locals (me and friends)
we have a DH race every mounth..

numerik

Monkey
Jul 22, 2005
Slovenia, Europe
Only for 7 days? Maybe we can work something out for free at some friends place...
All tracks are reached by car. The one in video only 12 minutes!
where are you from? If you need more info maybe we should turn to PM...anyhow, this part of Slovenia is worth checking out, especially cause it's nowhere near expensive as Italy or France.

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
Yes, 7 days only, because I need the rest of my holidays for big summer trip ;)
But, I plan to come with 2-3 friends. Otherewise, transport costs would be very high.
I will PM You for more details :) when I come back home.

I really liked Buzet track. How long is it? What was the best time? What's the drop?
Can we expect more of such tracks in the area?

Last edited:

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
Bump!

Because, we've finally decided to go to San Remo. To ride there and San Romolo, Sospel, Peille, etc.
But, there is one problem. A guy, who has already been on Italian Riviera injured his knee and would not be able to join us.
So, I would like to ask these of You, who knows local tracks to mark their beginnings (somehow) on attached google maps.

Please, right-click on the place where the DH track begins and choose "Directions to here". Then, click "link" on the right-top of the map, copy and paste in this thread.

San Remo and San Romolo
Sanremo IM, Włochy - Google Maps

Sospel
sospel, france - Google Maps

Cap-d'Ail
cap-d'ail, france - Google Maps

Peille
peille, france - Google Maps

Any place else?

...almost forgotten about Finale Ligure
finale ligure, italy - Mapy Google

Thank You for Your help in advance.