Quantcast

DH Jacket....

EricMcFlow

Monkey
Jul 9, 2005
Chicago
I need some recomendations for a DH jacket. Basicall I have the option of a six six one, a Fox or an Azonic. (I am ording it from Quality). I would love to make the shop I am at a Dainesse dealer, but thats not going to happen. Anyone have anything really good, or really bad to say about any of them?

Eric.

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
The new fox ones ive seen at our shop here at snowshoe and i think its a piece of garbage. I know of someone who had one on and broke her collarbone with it. Granted not many have clavical protection it still should have helped some. The azonic ones every person i know with one has had it fall apart and rip and the quality of them is pretty low too.

I say 661 is your best bet if u cant get a dainese.

EricMcFlow

Monkey
Jul 9, 2005
Chicago
Thanks, thats what I was leaning towards. I dont think any of them are bomb proof. I was borrowing my buddies dainese full body last year up in Whistler and tore open one of the shin gaurds, and everyone loves that stuff.

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
661 suits are garbage. And that goes for their individual armor as well. If your looking for the "cheapest way out", sure, go with 661, but if you want a jacket that fits well, is comfortable, and protective, look elsewhere. I've owned 2 661 suits and both of them rode up and were very uncomfortable, not to mention their poor quality and protection. I know you dont have a dainese dealer in your area but im going to recommend just saving the money and getting one from a crediable online source like go-ride. They are worth every penny and are far superior to the 3 options you mentioned. Its better to pay up now than buy something, be unhappy, and then paying up later. Just my .02 cents on a situation i've dealt with for 2 years. Good luck.

EricMcFlow

Monkey
Jul 9, 2005
Chicago
Its not that I cant find a local dealer, its more the fact that I dont want to pay retail. Any other ideas of things I sould be looking at? Basically I want anything that uses any of the big places for distro (Quality or BTI, ect.) I have heard that the new 661 stuff was decent from a few people, but i am open to other idea.

Banshee Rider said:
661 suits are garbage. And that goes for their individual armor as well. If your looking for the "cheapest way out", sure, go with 661, but if you want a jacket that fits well, is comfortable, and protective, look elsewhere. I've owned 2 661 suits and both of them rode up and were very uncomfortable, not to mention their poor quality and protection. I know you dont have a dainese dealer in your area but im going to recommend just saving the money and getting one from a crediable online source like go-ride. They are worth every penny and are far superior to the 3 options you mentioned. Its better to pay up now than buy something, be unhappy, and then paying up later. Just my .02 cents on a situation i've dealt with for 2 years. Good luck.

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
EricMcFlow said:
Its not that I cant find a local dealer, its more the fact that I dont want to pay retail. Any other ideas of things I sould be looking at? Basically I want anything that uses any of the big places for distro (Quality or BTI, ect.) I have heard that the new 661 stuff was decent from a few people, but i am open to other idea.
I too work in a bike shop and hate paying retail. This was once case however where i made an exception. Maybe dainese is just what fits me best but the 661 stuff wasnt worth it at all, theres a reason its so inexpensive compared to other companys. I havent tried it, but i believe quality sells rockgardn, might wanna check out their suit, alot of people like them. Basically, I personally recommend anything, included bubble wrap, instead of 661. My .02 cents on the subject.

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
Flack Jaket or 661, i have a 661 combo so i can just wear the chest protector without the elbows if i so choose, or the other way around.

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
The dainese is worth the money even at retail, although Go-ride is usually alittle under it. I coulda had a deal with 661 and decided not to cause i'd rather pay retail and be able to wear the dainese, it fits the best, has the best venting, and is as good or better protection wise to anything else on the market. The fact is no one get a deal from Dainese, but ever pro out there that doesn't have a deal with a protective company that makes a jacket uses one, that should say it all.

1soulrider

Monkey
Apr 16, 2002
nor cal
The new Azonic jacket is really nice. I just replaced my Rockgarden with one and I have been very happy. It offers great protection and is soooo much cooler (better vented) than the rockgarden was. The new version uses a netting that seems the same as the Dianiese jacket uses, not the scratchy mesh they used to use. I thought the Fox jacket had potential but the elbow protection is a joke. I looked at the 661 as well but it is too hot and heavy for what I wanted.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
We also have dainese jackets fairly cheap. Prices are in Canadian funds (regular safety jacket comes out to about $285-290usd, the next is about $315-320usd and the racecut about $355usd.).

In my opinion the dainese (whereever you get it from) is worth the extra money. They are light, cool, aerated, comfortable and protect well. Seems like most of the other suits all seem to be able to cover 2 or 3 of those points, but not all.

The safety jacket, safety jacket next and safety jacket race cut all offer different levels of aeration basically, while all offering the same lever of protection.

http://store.transcendmagazine.com/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=32

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Ive had the 661 and Dianese. The Dianese is worth the extra money. The 661 doesnt breathe or fit at well. Just pay retail and support mountain biking. ;)

Zack

Monkey
Apr 5, 2004
West Menlo
I just got Dainese and am amazed with it. It's on a whole different level than my 661 jacket. Go for the Dainese. Yeah it's more money, but come on, it's protecting your spine!

biker3

Turbo Monkey
Transcend said:
We also have dainese jackets fairly cheap. Prices are in Canadian funds (regular safety jacket comes out to about $285-290usd, the next is about $315-320usd and the racecut about $355usd.).

In my opinion the dainese (whereever you get it from) is worth the extra money. They are light, cool, aerated, comfortable and protect well. Seems like most of the other suits all seem to be able to cover 2 or 3 of those points, but not all.

The safety jacket, safety jacket next and safety jacket race cut all offer different levels of aeration basically, while all offering the same lever of protection.

http://store.transcendmagazine.com/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=32

Hey, Is the racecut just a little lighter and lower profile then the less expensive ones? Would you say its worth the extra coin?

BTW has ANYONE tried the TLD jacket yet? It looks pretty nice and for 144 bucks thats a STEAL. I wouldnt think TLD would make something crappy like a 661 but who knows?

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
biker3 said:
Hey, Is the racecut just a little lighter and lower profile then the less expensive ones? Would you say its worth the extra coin?

BTW has ANYONE tried the TLD jacket yet? It looks pretty nice and for 144 bucks thats a STEAL. I wouldnt think TLD would make something crappy like a 661 but who knows?
You know, I wore one around a bit (haven't ridden in one) and to be quite honest, I didn't notice much of a difference. It uses a few different materials to help hold it in place, and has the forearms all cut out to be less constrictive. I was interested in it due to the muggy east coast summers and the fact that i get armpump (which is reduced when i don't wear a dainese).

I would probably just got with a next or a regular safety jacket to be quite honest.

biker3

Turbo Monkey
Transcend said:
You know, I wore one around a bit (haven't ridden in one) and to be quite honest, I didn't notice much of a difference. It uses a few different materials to help hold it in place, and has the forearms all cut out to be less constrictive. I was interested in it due to the muggy east coast summers and the fact that i get armpump (which is reduced when i don't wear a dainese).

I would probably just got with a next or a regular safety jacket to be quite honest.
Okay thanks man. So there all pretty darn similar I guess?

I just dont want the arms to be HUGE and bulky like some upper suits are.