Quantcast

DH Pedals--clipless or platforms?

GrapeApe79

Monkey
Sep 22, 2005
Issaquah, WA
Another question for you genious gals...

I currently ride a SC Heckler for XC purposes, but am getting more into DHing and will soon be getting a DH bike. I notice that a lot of DH riders have forgone the clipless pedals and are on platform pedals. It makes sense that there would be less consequences for a crash when you are not clipped in, but I feel so naked and weird when I'm not clipped in. I think this feeling would be more natural if I have BMX's my whole life like a lot of DH riders, but I have never owned a BMX bike.

I'm just wondering how many of you wear clipless and how many of you ride platforms when you are DHing and whether you think it would be valuable to get on the platform pedal bandwagon up at Whistler.

Thanks for the feedback!

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
I'm not a woman, and far from it. I will help you out though. the pro women at the nationals are mainly clipped in. It really depends what kind of DH you are doing. If I'm on a rough course, I ride flats. Smooth course, crankbrother mallets.

IMO, Whistler would be flats. Everytime I have been, I like flats just because there is still some freerider in me.

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
i clip in because that's how i'm comfortable riding.... ride what's comfortable to you.
i didn't grow up doing bmx either, but just started going to the track last year. but i ride with my clips there too.
so don't most people at the track.
the only place around where you'll see everyone in flats, is at the dirt jumps.

tomvan72

Monkey
Dec 6, 2005
Asheville
If you are used to clipping in then do so. I don't think that there is a real penalty for clips. Use the flats at the jumps or when you feel you might have to take a foot out multiple times. In the mud I use flats and clips when ever I can. Clips will help pedaling and can also help to control the bike. THe team I manage all use clips in dh races but not always for Just riding. WE have 3 women on our pro team and that's what they recommend.

Matt H

Monkey
Aug 8, 2005
Maryland (Baltimore area)
I don't use clipless for freeride or DH...I actually feel like I have MORE control over my riding that way...if I have to plant a foot quickly, or hang one off for balance on a tech run, or if I'm in trouble and need to get away from the bike, I can do it a lot more efficiently w/o having to clip out.

Once you get used to them, you won't slip off like we did when we were kids, and you'll learn to point your toes downward for bunnyhopping and whatnot.

It takes a few rides to get used to them, but I can't go back now...hell, I rode XC on platforms last fall :)

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
I think it really depends on what you're comfortable with. My husband never rides anything but clipless. He has clipless platforms (Time) on hid freeride/DH bike. I have platform pedals but am going to try switching to clipless platforms for this summer. I ride Time clipless pedals for XC and am so used to them now that it feels weird to ride unclipped.

bjanga

Turbo Monkey
Dec 25, 2004
San Diego
I dont race, but for general riding I like flats because I dont have to worry about clipping in after I dab. I just go.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
I only ride clipless reguardless of what type of riding I do. I don't care if it's rocky, wet, steep, tight, dirt jumping, or on a fire road, I'm always clipped in. That is how I feel I have the most control over my bike:)

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I started on road, so I naturally used clipless pedals when I mtn biked. But I built a commuter with flats, got used to pedaling and jumping with flat pedals, and I am good with it now.

However, racing and riding are two different things. I believe many DH courses, particularily for beginners, are not very technical, so you can ride clipped it. However, if you were to start riding more technical stuff, you can the advantages of being on a flat.

I would do what is comfortable for you, but if it is clipless, I recommend a DH pedal, like a Crank Bros Mallet or a Shimano PD-M647, with a wide platform.

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
I ride clipless both XC and DH. I tried to learn to ride platforms my second year of DH racing and just didn't feel comfortable. You can arguably pick up some bad habit using clips, but it's what I know and what I feel comfortable with. I like my feet staying on the pedals in rough stuff, over jumps, and off drops.

I've found that the only time you're really in danger of not coming unclipped are slow speed crashes...same as XC.

I too recommend the Time pedals. It's what I used forever on my XC bikes, and actually still ran them DHing before their DH version came out....but I would say try to stick with what you use on your XC (at least initially) to make it easier. You don't have the same leg extension on a DH bike so you have to learn to clip in from different angles so a familiar pedal makes it easier.