Quantcast

DH prophet

S

seespotendo

so im lookin to race some DH races in the not so near future:disgust1:
i have a stock 2007 prophet 6 and this we be my race rig, and i just wanted to see if u guys had any thoughts about upgrades i could do to make it more race worthy.

thanks!
nick

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
Hey Nick-

Depending on how much racing vs. trail riding you plan to do in the future, you may want to consider selling the Prophet (which appears to be more of an all-mountain sort of rig) and getting something a little more DH-specific.

I'll go with the assumptions that most of your riding on this rig will still be general trail riding, you don't have the scratch to get a full-blown DH sled, and you just plan to do an occassional DH race. With those parameters in mind, here are some cost-effective suggestions to get the most out of that bike for DH use:

Cheap/Easy stuff:
1. Tires. Think about it: the only points at which your bike actually touches the ground is through the tires. If you don't have good traction there, everything else is a moot point. I prefer Michelin Comp 16's as the most broad spectrum DH tire I've used, but Kenda, Maxxis, and others offer great choices as well..

2. Pedals. The stock spec on that bike is clips/straps, and that's a good way to get destroyed racing downhill (unless your name happens to be Doug Henry and you're at Mount Snow in 2001, but I digress). Try some cheap platforms or some platform clipless pedals (like those offered by Time, Crank Bros, Shimano, etc.).

A little more expensive:
1. A Chainguide. You'll be amazed at how often you throw your chain racing DH. A good two-ring guide will eliminate most of that and still give you some versatility for trail riding. I'm partial to the e13 DRS for some obvious reasons, but Blackspire, MRP, and others also make some nice guides.

2. A DH-specific wheelset. You'll trash those stock wheels in no time racing DH, so I'd recommend a set of wheels that you can just swap to on race weekends so that you save your lighter stock wheels for trail riding. Someone posted a link on here a couple days ago to some WTB freeride wheels at a great price. Azonic Outlaws can also be purchased for pretty cheap.

Most Expensive
The fork and shock you've got there aren't going to last long if you plan to do a full season of real DH racing on them. I'd suggest swapping out both of those for something a little more DH-specific, but at that point, you're into it for so much coin that you'd be better off scouring Ebay and the classifieds for a decent used DH bike. A lot of us on here (myself included) got into DHing on used bikes, and there's definitely no shame in that.

Hope these suggestions help,

-John P.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
I've raced my prophet for light dh before, it works pretty good, especially with the slack head angle setting. Mine is an 05 and was stock, here are some changes I've made:

50mm stem, made all the difference in the world
28" bars w/ 2" rise
Single front ring and chain guide
2.3" wide tires
Swapped out lefty for Lyrik set to 140mm

The bike is now super fun. I would have stuck with the lefty, but already had the lyrik, and it was hard to find a shorter stem that would work with the lefty.

Kevin G

Chimp
Jul 11, 2007
Fairfax, CA
I think most of the stock components on the Prophet 6 are worthy of replacement if you'll be attempting to race DH on it. I have the same bike and have upgraded practically everything; although I don't race, but have taken it to Northstar and love to speed. Here's a start:

1. Brakes (I have Juicy 3s).
2. Wheels (getting I9/DT5.1 + 2.35s soon).
3. Shock (replaced the Radium with an Evolver ISX4).
4. Riser Bars / Short Stem (I have Deity 31.8).

Watch your BB when running in the FR position. Will try to think of more later...

S

seespotendo

thanks guys.

my prophet does have cages but i plan on swapping them for some flat wellgos i have.

but thanks for the suggestions!

nick

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Youll like the prophet as a light DH bike, but like said before its mroe of an all mountain rig. I have seen many people running them for dh and do very well with them. Guess it also depends on where you plan to race. Just of curiosity, what fork is on it now?

S

seespotendo

the fork on it is the stock marzocchi all mountain 4.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
Oh, I didn't realize there were different Prophet builds, I bought mine used. :D

One thing I would get rid of, if yours has it, is the Fire rear hub. That thing to this day causes me nothing but headache, but I can keep it barely working, and I'm a cheap bastard so it stays on.

Superdeft

Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
East Coast
I agree with John P.
I raced my prophet DH for a couple years.

Start with a short stem.

I would go for a guide next, then tires, then pedals, but before I'd get some new wheels I'd just save my cash for a full-on DH bike.

S

seespotendo

nah mine doesnt have a fire rear hub, i think its a shimano.
alright so i guess im getting a 50mm stem and a chainguide
what guide do u suggest for 3 rings up front?

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
You can't get triple ring guides, you'll have to go to two chainrings (have the large one as a 36 if possible) and get a dual ring guide with a bashguard to replace the outer ring. The E13 DRS is probably the way to go.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I think some triple ring guides are available still (I know they used to be around...)- it's just a tensioner. But a double is better. DRS is a safe bet.

I also agree about the short , tires and maybe wider bars. Anything more serious (brakes, suspension, wheels) and I'd just as soon put it into a new bike. The Prophet is a great bike (I have one), but it isn't a DH bike and you can't make it into one by slapping parts on it. Unless you change your stuff out constantly, you'll just make it worse for its intended purpose and not good enough for the role you want it to fulfill.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
I agree with JRogers. It's no full blown dh bike, but it can be super fun if set up right. I ride mine for everything except super rough dh trails.

46chief

Monkey
Jun 12, 2007
Heim 3 Guide. RM review it's a little old but I've heard aside from it's appearance it works well.
here

I run a two ring blackspire Dewlie on my bullit and haven't dropped a chain yet.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Fair enough you can get them, but unless he's riding road or really fast fireroads I'd reconsider the need for a third ring. If a 36T is big enough for WC DH these days then I'm sure it'll be big enough for him. Hell, go 38T if necessary. The bashguard will save your chain + rings + legs.

singlepivot

Chimp
Mar 13, 2007
ATL
Here's mine. I ride this DH too! Prophet was stock, added new wheelset, Marz 150mm fork, and 60mm stem. My other bike is A Gemini.