Quantcast

DH Questions

Carn75

Chimp
May 10, 2007
South Jersey
OK,i may getted yelled at for this but here goes.I'm just getting into DH riding,and dont have many friends who are into it.Most of them are still XC,so where would i beable to find out as much info as possible on the mechs of the bikes,maintainece,etc.Basically i'm trying to learn all thats possible so i can build my own bike,work on it,decide on which parts are better etc.
Hope i explained myself correctly.Thanks in advance.:huh:

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
OK,i may getted yelled at for this but here goes.I'm just getting into DH riding,and dont have many friends who are into it.Most of them are still XC,so where would i beable to find out as much info as possible on the mechs of the bikes,maintainece,etc.Basically i'm trying to learn all thats possible so i can build my own bike,work on it,decide on which parts are better etc.
Hope i explained myself correctly.Thanks in advance.:huh:
Maybe you can go to Diablo and rent a bike first and see how you like it? Just get out there and the knowledge will come over time. Good luck and enjoy it!

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
There's really no one source for that kind of info. Some sites (parktool has a good one) will show basic maintenance stuff. The rest you just kind of have to pick up as you go. I wouldn't go building a bike up from nothing without much knowledge, though. I got into DH and just kind of learned how to do things as I went (eg, fork needs a rebuild so I learn how to do it; wheels need truing so I learn how to do it).

Head to Diablo and check it out.

Edit: okay, buy a decent DH bike and head to Diablo repeatedly.

Netguy

Monkey
Nov 8, 2004
Whistler
The only way you are going to really learn, is to dive in head first. Go to a bike store, by a DH bike that feels comfortable for you, and take it from there. You don't need top of the line as your first bike.

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
The only way you are going to really learn, is to dive in head first. Go to a bike store, by a DH bike that feels comfortable for you, and take it from there. You don't need top of the line as your first bike.
I agree with this...just like when I asked the manager of a store why they dont have many DH bikes..."Downhill is a very personal thing, all parts come in different sizes, colors, and styles...its all a matter of prefferance." Its true...everyone has there own idea of whats perfect for them...so just buy something that has good reviews, people like, and that you like, and go from there...over time you'll deside you want a different fork, or new grips...ect.

freeridefool

Monkey
Jun 17, 2006
medford, or
read everything you can on here. the vast majority of rm's really know what they are talking about. and if you visit pinkbike... dont believe it unless you actually see it.

SBDHrida

Monkey
Aug 19, 2005
aMERica
If you get hooked on the riding part, you'll probably end up spending every waking minute researching bikes and parts on the internet without even thinking about it. As far as building the bike, just hang out at the local bike shop and talk to the mechanics and any DHer that come into the shop. Most of the time, people will be happy to talk. In fact you'll probably have trouble shutting them up.

Carn75

Chimp
May 10, 2007
South Jersey
Thanks for all the replies guys,i'll take everything into consideration..even the one about getting cooler friends.
I hang out at the lbs now,but my buddy just bought it about a year ago,it used to be mostly road bikes,but he's slowly changing that over to MB.However he comes from a bmx back ground so we're both kinda learning at the same time.Nearest place to ride is about 2 1/2 hrs away,so that doesnt help too much either.

L

luelling

I'd hook up with some people around your riding level and hopefully there will be one or two a bit above. I know my friends and I are the ones who pushed each other into bigger and bigger stuff. Its cool, you build friendship, and advance your skills. For bikes, find something used in descent condition. DH bikes sell for next to nothing used. Ride, break the bike, learn to fix. There are many online resources for fixing bikes and you can always come on here and ask questions. Biggest thing? Ride and have fun

jrfor0

Monkey
Mar 28, 2005
most all DH bikes have a lot of XC parts on them, like saddles, posts, derailleurs, shifters, etc.

i would recommend sticking to the brands that you are already loyal to on the XC bike. if you like rock shox on the XC bike then go a boxxer on the DH bike, if you like shimano on the XC bike then run shimano on the DH bike.

most companies that make XC components also make DH components.