Quantcast

DH race team?

DHmaverick

Chimp
Sep 8, 2008
hey this will be my first year racing downhill and i was wondering if there is any chance that i could get on a race team? i have raced bmx for 6 years and decided that downhill was way better. if anyone can give me any information on how to get on a team i would appreciate it.

i dont know if this matters or not but i am 18 and riding a 08 kona stinky

fortenndu

Turbo Monkey
Apr 22, 2008
Boone, NC
Do a year on your own, maybe get some sponsorhouse sponsors or something minor to help with when you break stuff or talk to your LBS. But most people end up riding on their own for the first year or so of racing. Have fun, make lots of friends, and learn. Goodluck.

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
are your friends racing?
a local shop with racers? some shops have teams.
racers who live nearby?

ride and race with them, make friends at races

NorthWest

Chimp
Feb 11, 2008
Bellingham, WA
not many teams in the pnw, only fluidride comes to mind. get out there and rack up some results on your own. the fluideride cup dates are here. Maybe invest in a downhill bike.

DesuL

Monkey
Nov 21, 2005
not many teams in the pnw, only fluidride comes to mind. get out there and rack up some results on your own. the fluideride cup dates are here. Maybe invest in a downhill bike.
I have seen more then just a "DH" bike do well at PA. If your on a budget there is always hardtail class (just kinda basing that on frame price and a way to get out there if it is an issue) Everyone is giving it to you straight, go ride have fun meet people and what falls into place will.

And there are a few more teams and have been then Fluidride for a few years, DHzone, Fanatic, DirtCorps, and countless others. Look out for DWB jerseys backed by Recycled Cycles on the hill this year!

DHmaverick

Chimp
Sep 8, 2008
alrgnt will do. i should be good to go by next weekend i can ride but i need to let it heal up a little more befor i go do anything crazy

andres611

Chimp
Jun 28, 2007
I've looking to start DH racing next season too. Let me know when you are riding and stuff, so we can get up to speed to race this year. I could use some people that are into DH, because most of my riding friends are more into XC.

DesuL

Monkey
Nov 21, 2005
Right on! Let us know when the shoulder is feeling better and we'll get you on some trails and up to speed in no time. That applies to you as well, Dave!
Im needing the bike needle in the arm worse then ever right now. Lots of other issues in life this month are keeping me from paying attention to the trail. But gotta handle it or I will never see a trail again. I will fill you in soon. Trying to keep on my trainer and atleast pedal a bit, winter sucks with the new knee parts, they do not like cold weather at all. :nopity:

iridebikes

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
seattle
So you have no experience but want to be on a team? Why a team? What do you want out of being on a team? Is it the support of friends to ride, travel, and race with? Or is it that you just want deals on parts?
There are a lot of people out there who are only interested in being on a team just so they can get a deal on parts. There's more to being on a team than just being part of a "buyers club". I understand not having the financial means to be able to buy parts and keep your bike running. The race season is only a few weeks away and I have no money to start buying parts for a race bike this year. But being on a team just to get a deal on parts makes it really hard on the industry.
I guess what I'm trying to say is just get out there, have fun for the first year or two. See how you stack up against the rest of the field, and go from there. If you turn out to be a kid that everyone has their eye on and you're coming up the ranks, then you might search out a few opportunities. There's more to racing and riding bikes than just being sponsored. It's about having fun, being with friends, and just enjoying the sport.

DesuL

Monkey
Nov 21, 2005
There's more to racing and riding bikes than just being sponsored. It's about having fun, being with friends, and just enjoying the sport.
I may be newish to the bike thing but those words are very true. I used to ride for a few snowboard companys back in the day and it was all about what you were enjoying what your doing. If you enjoy it, make friends the rest will follow.

If your looking for a "team" to build your riding ability, others to stoke you out on the trail and keep you on a bike then your intentions are good. But as Jerry said if its just to get a discount its not a great intention, gotta keep your shops in business!!

Oh and Andy I did get back on the bike for a few minutes today and was loving it, just hit Seatac but hitting things I have not done before and just throwing caution to the wind... Was just what I needed... Air time is good !!

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
Excellent, Dave! A few minutes is better than none every time. I just got home a little over an hour ago from riding Pip's line @ the Nade...UNDER THE LIGHTS!!! Must do that again very soon.

We have a way of weeding out the buyer's club members. It's called trail work as well as other random acts of volunteerdom - none of which involve Natty Ice, Game Cube or Axe. Not yet, at least.

MattPatt

Monkey
Apr 3, 2008
A, A
As a team leader I also struggle with the question of how best to manage team sponsorship.

Sponsorship plays a vital role in helping keep down the cost of racing which is typically harder on gear as well as providing an incentive for those willing to commit a chunk of time to carry out team objectives, which in the case of our 12 member team, the Dirt Corps, means trail work, advocacy, event organization, product testing and more. We encourage (and require) very active membership.

Effective team's distribute responsibility and require everyone's participation which is a big time and financial commitment. If in return for this and for good quality sponsors promotion I think it's reasonable to accept a discount on certain parts. Nobody, on our team, gets a free ride.

I really feel for bike shop owners sales too, especially in these tough financial times, when spending on high-ticket, discretionary items like bikes and parts is hard to justify. But simply pointing the finger at sponsored teams feels to me like we are being singled out.

Here's the rub though. Last time I checked there are many more individuals, grass-rooters, bro/pro-formers, and industry friends getting similar or better deals than our team. And for what? Because they ski? Or they are drinking buddies? Etc...

I don't want to sound bitter or angry or anything. I'm stoked with things for us this year. Our Junior riders are going to be dominating the local (and hopefully national) race scene, our women’s team is coming on strong, and us old guys just keep faster. Add to that the events we are organizing, trails we're building and people we introduce to the sport, young and old, and it's awesome!!! :cheers:

You guys tell me, are we out of line with the industry? If anyone's interested in learning more about what our specific team member requirements are shoot me a message or come and chat with me when you see me or anyone on the Dirt Corps for that matter.

-- Matt Patterson
-- Dirt Corps.

iridebikes

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
seattle
Not all teams are "buyer clubs"
This is true. But there are several teams that have come and gone throughout the industry that have been.

I really feel for bike shop owners sales too, especially in these tough financial times
Thanks to Sponsorhouse, getting a deal is now the norm. It seems to be a right, not an earned privilege. If everyone gets on a team, or gets some sort of sponsorship, then why should bike shops be around? Why should shops try to support the community if the community doesn't support the shops? I have seen several customers (at all the shops I've worked at) which used to support shops until they get a sponsor, or become part of a team. Once that happens, the only thing the shops are good for is being a place to bring warranties. It has always been the case, but it has become a more common theme in the past few years. If no one supports the local shop, the local shop goes out of business. I feel for small shop owners as well. That's why I try my hardest to support them if and when I can. For instance, it took me 2 months to pay for a new wetsuit, but I chose to do that through a small local shop rather than saving a few bucks and getting it online.

I have a buddy who wants to get sponsors because he is unable to buy things at full retail price because of his income. He doesn't want much, he was just looking for a hook up on some riding gear. I also have friends that at one point were looking for a hook up even though they make 6 figures. They all still choose to try and help out our shop and I am extremely grateful. Being that I work in a shop, I don't make much. If I had the same income and I wasn't in the industry, I would not be able to afford to ride bikes at all. I am grateful that I can afford to do what I love. The hard thing about being in my place is even though I can support doing what I love, which is riding and racing my bikes, I can't afford to do much else other than buy food and pay rent.

I am grateful for what I have and what I am able to do, but I am even more grateful for people who have more than myself yet are still willing to support the cause. Getting a hook up seems to be the easy thing these days. Deciding weather to support a small business or try and get the best deal possible for your own personal gain is not.

Things that are being expressed are being said for all industries. Surf, bike, moto, skate, and snow. People want a hook up. That's all there is to it. Deciding who actually deserves the hook up is something that these industries need to make changes on.

jumping_jesus

Monkey
Jan 23, 2006
in your mind
yes there is nothing worse then the team that forgets about why the shop is there. I will say that is the one thing that grills me is when we sponsor a team and they still go direct to the MFG. to yet cut their cost even more when the people that are on that club make $80,000-$100'000 a year its BS. Even what is worse is when teams go to the MFG's and starts asking to buy parts that they should be getting from a shop to begin with and the MFG's thinks its ok to sell their oem parts to the teams. To all teams and MFG's that do this don't!!! remember who is on the front line working in the trenches to keep the industry alive. As a MFG's your just one small fraction of the mix your not the one out there pushing to all demographics to spread the gospel. I think it is also BS when a MFG's chooses to sell direct to the consumer vs doing the right thing and sending the consumer to the dealer that has committed to your brand and spent the money to bring your product in. thats why they go out and seek dealers right? so the mfg's needs to support the shops too otherwise might as well be like jenson usa or any other on-line retailer or just call yourself fetish cycles.

Last edited:

MattPatt

Monkey
Apr 3, 2008
A, A
Things that are being expressed are being said for all industries. Surf, bike, moto, skate, and snow. People want a hook up. That's all there is to it. Deciding who actually deserves the hook up is something that these industries need to make changes on.
You nailed it. I believe that this is the real heart of the matter. How do you determine who deserves and who doesn't deserve to be sponsored. There needs to be better, more objective criteria.

I've heard it said that only racers with the best results deserve to be sponsored. Is that the best and only way to do it? Don't the people who make substantial and lasting commitments to the community deserve some support too?

DesuL

Monkey
Nov 21, 2005
The last three posts sum it up.. Support your local bike shop, support your local dirt, support your buddies. Don't need to have a "team" to be part of a community.

To the original poster.... There are plenty of people willing to ride and accept your help with trails. If thats what your looking for then pipe up and get invited out for a ride.

trailhacker

Turbo Monkey
Jan 6, 2003
In the hills around Seattle
Said it before and I'll say it again, the manufacturer's and vendors that promote through sponsorship should always run that sonsorship through a local dealer/shop.
I can understand that on the "PRO" level and the top Junior racers going direct, but for Joe 6-pack local racer it should be run through a shop. The industry is shooting itself in its feet by not doing this. Especially now.

They should give the product to the shops at a discounted rate so the shop can mark it up but still give the "sponsored" rider a better price.

$.02

jumping_jesus

Monkey
Jan 23, 2006
in your mind
Said it before and I'll say it again, the manufacturer's and vendors that promote through sponsorship should always run that sonsorship through a local dealer/shop.
I can understand that on the "PRO" level and the top Junior racers going direct, but for Joe 6-pack local racer it should be run through a shop. The industry is shooting itself in its feet by not doing this. Especially now.

They should give the product to the shops at a discounted rate so the shop can mark it up but still give the "sponsored" rider a better price.

$.02
Yes that is exactly how it should work and I have seen it work with other bike companies that I have dealt with in the past. Remember its about the retailer too we keep the industry alive.

glcwhistler

Chimp
May 25, 2007
Western State Hospital
Hey matt, I don't think anyone would say you don't deserve what the " industry" has given you or even a few other members on your " team" . I personally don't see Dirt corps advocacy or how they benefit our sport. I am trying to make the distinction between a few of you and the whole of you. I will give credit to the " few" of you. But if you label all of dirt corps the same. I don't see it. I could go through the list of members line by line but what would be the point. but from where a lot of people are viewing yeah it does look like a buyers club. In team colors. A few making a legitimate name for the rest. Many others are doing the same thing. I could name numerous other "teams" doing the same thing with sport/ beginners. some with no rising stars at all. I personally could care less. getting deals on things is the american way. you'd be stupid not to take a deal. But the industry is shooting itself in the foot and that will be bad for all of us.
My biggest gripe is someone telling me all that they are doing for the community when that community is larger than the 12 members of their group. The few of you do add to talent coming out of the northwest. Some of your members have alienated themselves by their conceit towards others. and I don't expect you to make excuses for them because I don't label you with them. But it does exist. Maybe [ and this goes out to all teams and their leaders ] you need to talk with your groups and keep the sponsorship talk of what your getting quiet and understand that some of your group are acting out and making a bad name for all of you.

Last edited:

iridebikes

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
seattle
Pro form : meant for pro's (Pro means pro, It's not a beginner/sport form that is the same deal that the guys who have worked hard for years to get to the ranking of pro are getting)

E.P. form : employee purchase form, meant for people who work in the industry. (AKA bike shops, industry companies, some people from websites such as pinkbike.com, nsmb.com, sicklines.com, some employees from clubs such as BBTC)

There are too many people who are given access to both of these options. Most of which don't work in the industry and even more people getting "pro forms" who aren't anywhere close to being pro. Too many people are abusing what has been given to them. "Hey I got a pro form from this rad company, I think I will hook up my friends with my discounts too!" That shouldn't happen. It does though, and it needs to stop. The industry needs to pull their stuff together and crack down on who gets sponsored. Same can be said for those who are sponsored. It is an earned privilege, not a right. If you screw your sponsors, or screw your community, you're hurting the sport, the community, and are in no way shape or form benefiting anyone but yourself for only or a short period of time. The time will run out for people to be able to get away with it. I feel, however, that time won't come soon enough.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I created a team to race with because I liked riding with my friends. We looked so good in matching Misfits jerseys that I just went with it. That being said, I am getting old and love just riding a lot more than I like racing.