Quantcast

DH race wheel set for $300-$350

bigbirdie

Monkey
Feb 28, 2002
CT
I was looking at Sun Ringle A.D.D. Experts or Easton Havoc DH, both in the $300 range (one I am sponsored and the other is a online sale). Any other suggestions? I want new and don't want suggestions to "buy my used set!". I searched the two already and have heard pros and cons but maybe I am missing a "diamond in the rough", but for the price range I am looking at, maybe I'm stuck with a lower end set.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Easton Havoc DH - is heavy-ish and the older model didn't get stellar reviews.

Supposedly Sun Ringle A.D.D uses a new stans dh rim not available to the public so it may be a safe bet.

If not think about going with Dartmoor Raider rims + dartmoor quantic/liteforce hubs and dt comp spokes. The rims are not uber durable but really cheap and under most riders last at least 1 season in the rear and longer up front.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Sun will answer the phone. Does Azonic? It's been years, but that was the only major negative to their customer service. That...and old Outlaws were horrible. Few freidns have them now and don't seem to mind them. They'd be better to ask.

I've always had good luck with Sun/Ringle.

Carcinogen

Chimp
May 5, 2011
Seattle
Transtion also has a $350 wheelset called the Revolution 32
I have those, but sadly they are pinned not welded... That said just keep your spoke tension under control and it shouldn't be a problem. Been on mine for a year now and there is just a crack in the paint where they are pinned(spokes got loose) no other issues.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I say outlaws; beat em lightly, retension then have at em.

Not too heavy, pretty reliable. Meh.
Compared to newer offers they are quite heavy. Ringles are 300-400g lighter. The Dart wheelset idea is similar even if a bit less panzer but at the same time super cheap to replace.

Oldm8

Chimp
Mar 12, 2011
Townsville, Australia
I just bought a Superstar components Tech2 EVO DH wheel set for under $300 Australian delivered. Weight is supposed to be 2280 grams and only found out about them in the dirt 100. Will see how they go when they get here.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
the transition and outlaw wheels are basically the same.

same rim (alex supra) same hub (novatec 811/812).

the newest (2011/12) outlaws are now welded, not pinned. the older outlaws and transitions are both pinned.

those new ADD wheels are super nice. good hub, nice rim. if you ever want to go tubeless, those will work better (stan's bead on the rim). slightly lighter than outlaw/transition 32's. just be sure to order a small bag of extra spokes, so if you blow one, you are not hosed (they are straight pull).

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Compared to newer offers they are quite heavy. Ringles are 300-400g lighter. The Dart wheelset idea is similar even if a bit less panzer but at the same time super cheap to replace.
Compared to what new offerings? Outlaws are ~2450 on the high side; ADD are 2443, ADD Lite 2141. Thats no 300-400g lighter, and double the price unless on sale.

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
Easton Havoc DH - is heavy-ish and the older model didn't get stellar reviews.
Just to be clear, are you talking about these;

Or these?

Cause, the new ones below are stupid light. 150mm rear with 20mm front should be under 1900 grams a set... I'm thinking about getting them soon, but they're out of the OPs budget. (at retail pricing.)

Last edited:

simontac

Chimp
Jul 29, 2010
Just picked up a Cole Massif Enduro wheeleset (150 x 12) and its so far great. Ok weight (I will weigh but I think web lists as 2200g) and very nice hub/spoke interface. Some fancy acronyms for hubs/spokes and the design - but it looks real nice and excellent machine work. Think they are going to be incredible, and at the price can't go wrong. Search around - can get them for in the $300-$350 range.
Oh and these are the wheels the Coastal Crew guys were riding in the movie From The Inside Out, I am pretty sure.
Just my 2 cents...

p-spec

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2004
quebec

Or these?

Cause, the new ones below are stupid light. 150mm rear with 20mm front should be under 1900 grams a set... I'm thinking about getting them soon, but they're out of the OPs budget. (at retail pricing.)
thaught about em since I need new wheels and they will warrenty them up to the day the 2 years is up,then forget it.No buget right now :Crygirl:

norbar

Jun 7, 2007

Or these?

I doubt the new ones are on sale

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com

Yep! just under @ 1868g for the 2012 Havoc someone sent in a weight for

http://www.sicklines.com/weights/mtbwheels/

Last edited:

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Better yet...

There's still confusion between the newer Havoc wheels, and the Havoc DH wheels. The latter being the old school heavier version that Easton is still making.
Hmm... also, $950 for the set might be outside of 3-350... And I jumped on the bandwagon, so if Im spending that much for wheels, there'd better be Hadley or Industry 9 stamped somewhere.

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
Just picked up a Cole Massif Enduro wheeleset (150 x 12) and its so far great. Ok weight (I will weigh but I think web lists as 2200g) and very nice hub/spoke interface. Some fancy acronyms for hubs/spokes and the design - but it looks real nice and excellent machine work. Think they are going to be incredible, and at the price can't go wrong. Search around - can get them for in the $300-$350 range.
Oh and these are the wheels the Coastal Crew guys were riding in the movie From The Inside Out, I am pretty sure.
Just my 2 cents...
would like to know where you can get them for 300-350... and where you saw the CC are running them

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
Are they riding the Enduro set or DH? It would be feasible to say the Enduro set could withstand some dh riding since they come in 150mm spacing right? Would consider buying a set if I could find them cheap, everywhere I have looked though they are not 300-350