Quantcast

DH Race Wheelset

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
I'm going to purchase a race wheelset for next year. I run 729's with hadley hubs, and I'll keep them for most of my riding.
I'm seriously considering the new Mavic Dee Max's. They aren't available yet so I don't expect any reviews, but they look impressive and only 2100g's.
Anybody have some other recommendations for a good high-end race wheelset. I want to buy a complete wheelset, 2000 to 2200g's, good strength, and good hub quality.

cheers

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
I've been looking into the same thing for a couple months now. If you were willing to build something up, you could find a few options that fit the bill (I've got a set of 823's laced to DT/Hugi hubs that weigh 2286g). But as an off-the-shelf product, Dee Maxes stand alone, especially when you consider they're tubeless. I think the new Crank Bros DH wheels will be close, but I remember reading they were a bit over 2300 g as well.

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
Industry Nine w/ in house rim. IMO, better than Mavic 729s, 721s, and/or 823s and I have had them all.
Whats the spec: weight, rim width, price???? I thought I saw some pics of Industry nines with all the drive side spokes sheered off for no explainable reasons???

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
I've been looking into the same thing for a couple months now. If you were willing to build something up, you could find a few options that fit the bill (I've got a set of 823's laced to DT/Hugi hubs that weigh 2286g). But as an off-the-shelf product, Dee Maxes stand alone, especially when you consider they're tubeless. I think the new Crank Bros DH wheels will be close, but I remember reading they were a bit over 2300 g as well.
Ya thats what I did with my current build......729/hadley/DT spokes, but then you've gotta source the parts, and I don't build wheels so then I have to pay somebody to do that. It ends up being more $$$$.
Those Crank Brothers wheels look crazy.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I think this conversation has been had before, but I have seen more conventional wheels blown up/broken/out of true than I9s.

I am notoriously tough on wheels. Up until this year I would go through 2-3 rear rims season. I used to use 729s, but they are so expensive and heavy. I have used 721s and they are nice, but like all Mavics they tend to crack for me. I then ran 823s and I though they were a little heavy compared to 721s and tubeless does me no good since I dent/crack sidewalls.

I switched to MTX rims since they were cheaper and I could bend them back w/o cracking them as much. But again they are heavy and I was still going through 2-3 a season.

I9 hooked me up with an early prototype version of their in-house rim and I was blown away. I have been on the same rims since March. I even did the last half of a Snowshoe race run on these rims and a flat tire trying to see their limits. To my amazement I found only one small ding. I sent he rims back to Jeff at I9 to check out and he was amazed as well to see how well they have held up. He left the rims and wants me to see how far I can go on them.

I don't know the specs on them, but they are about the same profile and weight of 721s.

Call I9 and ask the specifics. I know they now have the rims in stock and should be able to build you a killer wheel.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge

I hit this as fast as I could with a rear flat and only one small ding that I had to look for. These wheels are legit.

RMboy

Monkey
Dec 1, 2006
England the Great...
You can get them pre built so i would go with 823 on pro2.. you just cant got wrong, light strong and tubless.!!! The hubs work sweet, easy to repair and maintain.. lol who cares about more engagements.. Just learn to flow will get u down quicker..

But i can understand more with xc/fr as u do have a lot more pedaling!lol

Oh i don't know if its in your weight limit.. Anyone know the weight of these wheels?

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
New Fulcrum Wheels have similar weight to dee maxx if decide to go with the pain in the ass service of complete wheels. It's also UST so all you need but I'd still go Burgtec on 823's.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
There site is a little behind, contact them directly and ask for Jeff.

Yeah, like 3 months since I ordered a wheelset and won't return a goddamned phonecall. I was quoted 6-8 weeks. These wheels better be so good I spontaneously orgasm, because I'm phuqing sick of waiting and am ready to cancel and move on. Seriously WTF!?

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Zark, I will see them this weekend at a race they are sponsoring. PM your name and I'll tell Jeff your awaiting your orgasm.

Hate to here about non-communictaion, but they are worth it IMO.

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
Price for the I9's is??????????????
Hopefully under a grand. I have a deadly connection for Mavics, but wouldn't mind paying a little for a super wheel orgasm.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Yeah, like 3 months since I ordered a wheelset and won't return a goddamned phonecall. I was quoted 6-8 weeks. These wheels better be so good I spontaneously orgasm, because I'm phuqing sick of waiting and am ready to cancel and move on. Seriously WTF!?
Whats up!!!!
Thw no return calls suck but yeah they are worth it, your going to dig em!
Did you get rootbeer? :D LMAO! Ill be back soon.

ridenorcal

Chimp
Apr 28, 2008
Gnar-Cal
I'm running 823s on dt Swiss 440 hubs with dt double butted spokes. While they are a little over your target weight (around 2400g for 36h front and rear) they are still reasonably light when you take into account the weight savings UST provides. But aside from the weight they are super strong and I'm a big fan of the dt hubs. Definitely a wheelset worth considering.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Whats up!!!!
Thw no return calls suck but yeah they are worth it, your going to dig em!
Did you get rootbeer? :D LMAO! Ill be back soon.
Whatup my man?!
I9 is looking into the wheels I'm sure my wait is coming to an end.
No more rootbeer, I sold it 2 weeks ago. I'm rolling a used 6.6 I picked up cheap, 2 pounds lighter woot! Get down here Nov 8th! First race at Vail Lake WOOT!:banana:

ciszewski

Monkey
Aug 7, 2008
Brockville
Depends on your hub spacing, if its 135mm, Notubes ZTR Flow's would be an option, haven't used them myself but will probably be riding them next season. They are extremely light and have a low profile so the chances of denting them is less.

and if its 150, the safest bet would be the dt swiss 5.1 on whatever hub as mentioned above, that is if DT truly stiffened up their rims for '09 because there were many stories of the '08's failing...

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
any more info on the I9 rims? are they compatible with standard spoke/nipple set up? is only one wall of the rim drilled like in a 823?

Jonny5

Monkey
Feb 13, 2007
Stans flow still going strong here, got a mate working at bike and bean at whistler who I put onto them, wonder if they are still working for him. The tubeless works awesome too with the yellow tape, maxxis ust tyres and a little sealant. My wheelset is around 1700grams.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Depends on your hub spacing, if its 135mm, Notubes ZTR Flow's would be an option, haven't used them myself but will probably be riding them next season. They are extremely light and have a low profile so the chances of denting them is less.

and if its 150, the safest bet would be the dt swiss 5.1 on whatever hub as mentioned above, that is if DT truly stiffened up their rims for '09 because there were many stories of the '08's failing...
SDuDunno about 5.1s but there was a new model for FR presented on interbike (sth with 600 in its name so 6.1 are no longer). Supposedly they used harder/stronger materials.