Quantcast

Dh Riding at night

downhillracer

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2005
Sammamish, WA
At first this may seem pretty crazy, but has anyone ever ridden downhill at night in the PNW? I was pondering the idea of buying an HID light so i could ride dh at night. i know riding in the day is better, but my work schedule leaves me very little time to ride and i was wondering if anyone has done it?

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
Well you cant go as fast ( well you can, but the chances of getting hurt are raised) but its alot of fun....ads a new element to riding. I got my self a cheap niterider Trail Rat 2.0 and have had good fun with it. I suggest you talking a buddy into getting one too so you dont feel you have to be super cautious, and can let loose a little more since you have back-up.

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
Don't run just a handlebar light...get a helmet-mount light as well. Otherwise, you're going to have major issues with seeing corners.

A few of us do some night rides on Tiger. It's a blast. As far as night riding an actual dh trail, haven't gone there...yet.

downhillracer

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2005
Sammamish, WA
I've ridden preston railroad and grandridge with a 50 watt halogen and it was alright. i mounted it to my helmet and it worked pretty well. I was thinking more along the lines of riding the exits.

what are the top lights out there? I am looking for something to give off a lot of light. I was looking into the HIDs.

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
Oh, and you can build your own flamethrower light with a single aftermarket mini automotive driving light and a compact SLA battery for computer UPSs (put in your camelbak). If you wired in diodes you could do stepped 25w low/50w high beams.

jaap

Chimp
Nov 8, 2004
Bellingham, WA
Check out Light and Motion's ARC LiIon. Sweet light! I run one on the helmet and I don't have any problems. Just make sure it's tight with a couple zip ties