Quantcast

DH rigs

Oct 16, 2005
burlington, CT
I need some help, in the past 2 years I have gotten so much more into DH/DH racing. My first real DH rig was a Giant DH Comp, and my recent one which I had bought because of the killer price was a Rocky Mountain RMX Pro which I just sold the frame. I need some help choosing my next frame with the price range of 900-1200. I'm looking from anything from an r9 to a 223. Any susgestions?

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
You can find a used Turner DHR for around $1000-$1500. They're really nice downhill rigs. Very agile, crazy cornerers, kind of steep geometry though.

You could probably find a V-10 for that price too, just don't get the older one because the newer one rides way nicer.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Try to get some rides in on the bikes you are interested in. You can come up to Northampton and ride my R9. There are plenty of 223's and DHR's around as well.

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
Giant Faith. It's cheap, light, pedals well, brakes well, sucks up everything, handles awesome, and it has awesome geometry. When I got on the bike I felt immediatly at home. It is really an awesome bike and inspires so much confidence. If you ever come out the the JeepEater trails you are more than welcome to try mine.

dG video

I blew a mod to get this title
Feb 25, 2004
vermont
Since your budget is kind of low I bet you could find a used Sunday frame on one of the forums. When I bought my used frame I got it for about $1,200. Search on MTBR I recall seing more then one 17" frame over there.

Dan

Oct 16, 2005
burlington, CT
SuspectDevice said:
Try to get some rides in on the bikes you are interested in. You can come up to Northampton and ride my R9. There are plenty of 223's and DHR's around as well.
About your r9, how does it feel to you? I've always thought they were kinda long, but still sick.

acair422

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
dhr for sure, keep your eyes on these forums, mtbr, and sometimes ebay. also if you can track down racers from previous seasons and they might have frames (non pro teams). the dhr is a great bike from just cruisin dh, to racing

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Pimpinonabike said:
About your r9, how does it feel to you? I've always thought they were kinda long, but still sick.
R9's come in 2 sizes. 46.5" wheelbase and 45" wheelbase.

Neither of those are that long. Chainstays are tucked in at 17.2" as well.