Quantcast

DH/Slopestyle bikes.

Xtreme

Chimp
Feb 7, 2003
I'm trying to decide if my next rig is going to be a DH race bike, like all my previous bikes, or something a bit smaller/chuckable, like a "Slopestyle bike". I really like the look of Ben Boykos 6 http://photos.nsmb.com/showimage.php?i=14203&c=9 and http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1021403/ and have always fancied something like this for DH, dirt and general playing around but have stuck with what I'm used to. Maybe this is the time for something different. At the moment I am thinking of an Ironhorse 6 point with a set of 66 up front and then the kit of my Keewee.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
i've heard mixed reviews on the 6 point. keep your eye out for the intense ss, it is a 6.6 with a burlier back end made specifically for slopestyle and other stupidity. it seems like these bikes are the perfect mix of weight savings and versatility. wade simmons' bike looks ridiculous, i would buy one just to hang over the fireplace.

Npdh

Monkey
Apr 29, 2007
Yeap, i have the same idea,

66slata 07 and iron horse 6point and dhx air...
For Fr and downhill , will be usefull ?

Or something quite like that,
maybe a big hig with 66 and dhx air

Help ?

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
I am super happy with my Devinci Frantik. It would be perfect for what you are looking for.

thom9719

Turbo Monkey
Jul 25, 2005
In the Northwest.
what about a general purpose freeride bike? if you want the travel of a DH bike and the flickability of a slopestyle bike, get something in the middle.

Kyle,

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
just make sure you get something with an uninterrupted seat tube and a way to run a front der or it will never be a viable trail bike. there are plenty of 6-6/7-7 bikes out there that could be flogged for years without complaint but still make it up a hill. The new bullit gives me a stiffy. Considered the new spec enduro with their proprietary shocks? supposed to be light, slack and pedalable but I have heard zero buzz about it one way or the other.

ATOMICFIREBALL

DISARMED IN A BATTLE OF WITS
May 26, 2004
Tennessee
The new Santa Cruz BULLIT would be awesome.
It probably has the same geo as the last design Bullit's ??

Although the new Bullit.2 doesn't have the cool shock shuttle .

SeaPig

Monkey
Sep 20, 2005
Seattle
The guys at Fluidrde built me up a Yeti ASX with a Pike and a 5" Van R on the rear which is smaller then the factory suggested build of a 6" or 7" build. With the Pike's U-turn function I can steepen my bike for the climbs, urban, dirt jump etc, and slacken it for the descent. I've taking freeride hits that I have done on 7, 8" inch bikes and feel secure with it and despite the one chain ring up front, I climb the bike well. It also pumps well down regular XC trails. I went this route after testing Zeb of Fluidride's AS-x build and liking it. They've done other interesting smaller than factory builds of a 7-point and a 6-point. These bikes were all real snappy, pedaled well, but had the strength to take a hit. I've been real happy with my bike. In the end I feel that due to it's under build it requires me to ride better, but rewards me for doing so. Just my 2-cents.

cjcrashesalot

Monkey
May 15, 2005
WA
Is yours stock? I wanna see pics of a non stock Reign X. I like the design, but for some reason all the pictures make it look too much like an XC bike.
Mine is not stock... built it up from frame only actually. i'll get some pictures and a writeup posted sometime here. All I can say is that it is definitely NOT more xc oriented... this thing handles rock gardens with ease and absolutely rails the corners. I still trail ride with it though, and it does very well for what it is.

gackrider24

Monkey
Jun 4, 2007
NJ
what does everyone think of that Banshee Wildcard? Do you think it will be better than the bottle rocket? I think more and more slope style bikes will begin to emerge in the next year.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
personally i don't think anything will be quite like the bottlerocket because it wasn't really made specifically for slopestyle, it was made to be a short travel fun bike. however, i think the banshee could end up being a little more fun because of the lively suspension design, the low bb and also the much lighter weight. banshee is churning out new frames like crazy right now.