Quantcast

Dhers trail bike

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I know, this thread has been done several times.
What I want is a list of low 5-6" travel bikes. I'd actually prefer a 5", super light frame with a BB close to 13".
HA isn't a deal killer these days since everything pretty much comes with a tapered headtube and you can throw in an angleset.
Let's avoid pro's con's of each since everybody has opinions.

Knolly Chili and Endo
Rocky Slayer
Yeti SB66
SC Blur TR
Yeti ASR5-c
Ibis HD

Last edited:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I'd love to suggest the Banshee Spitfire, but yeah the bushings on it blow. Other than that, awesome ride.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Here is my asr 5. It is a 5 inch bike with a 5.5 pound frame. Mine has a 12.9 bb with a 140 fork, and 67 head angle. I love the thing. It does have a stiff riding suspension, but it is so solid and direct. Its just really fast and effecient.
I do have the 12mm/142 axle and with I9 wheels, it is a solid feeling bike despite its light weight.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
Why not a regular mojo? They RIP. The HD feels a bit DH bike ish too me. I did a downieville run on a regular mojo and it railed corners amazingly, pedaled well, was stiff and responsive. My only gripe is it felt a little dead cause of the DW link, but that's just generally how I feel about DW bikes

a blut TR or LT would be a good option, I've had an AL LT for quite some time, and that thing SHREDS. I've ridden a week at northstar on it, top to bottom, every single hit, as well as 3000+ foot XC rides. The thing goes up and down amazingly.

I would also look at a butcher, it's a slacker lower nomad with less travel, and more lively feeling (single pivot Vs sagged out VPP) my buddy had one last season with a lyric and I did some northstar laps on that thing, and it was even more stable and low than my LT, but I can't speak for it's climbing abilities.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
I want a Covert. I just have to sell my house first.
Hey, I traded mine off. Wishing I hadn't now. That bike did everything pretty well but nothing outstanding. I'd like to try the 26" Bandit sometime. It looks like a capable trail bike.

A buddy of mine has a Pivot 5.7 and that bike rips. The local shop got their hands on a new Cannondale carbon Jekyll. I was blown away at its stiffness and lightness but haven't taken it for a spin yet.

I've been window shopping for a new squishy trail bike that has gears. Hard to swallow the price on some of these puppies.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Hey, I traded mine off. Wishing I hadn't now. That bike did everything pretty well but nothing outstanding. I'd like to try the 26" Bandit sometime. It looks like a capable trail bike.

A buddy of mine has a Pivot 5.7 and that bike rips. The local shop got their hands on a new Cannondale carbon Jekyll. I was blown away at its stiffness and lightness but haven't taken it for a spin yet.

I've been window shopping for a new squishy trail bike that has gears. Hard to swallow the price on some of these puppies.
The Jekyll is magnificent. But bang for the buck Transtion has it going on.. My shop also sells Ibis and I am just not that excited about the DW link. Plus they are pricey.

mrbigisbudgood

Strangely intrigued by Echo
Oct 30, 2001
Charlotte, NC
I'm VERY happy with my Nickel, and now that they are being discontinued, the prices have dropped.

She ain't the lightest girl at the party, but I know I can throw her around and she won't get hurt.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
So far I'm down to the ASR-5 and a Ibis SL-R w/ an angleset.
Need to ride them for real and see if I hate the DW. I think I've decided I hate VPP.
#1 choice would be a SB66c, but damn, that's a lot of cash. Regular SB is a pig.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
So far I'm down to the ASR-5 and a Ibis SL-R w/ an angleset.
Need to ride them for real and see if I hate the DW. I think I've decided I hate VPP.
#1 choice would be a SB66c, but damn, that's a lot of cash. Regular SB is a pig.
I hear ya, I am putting up my asr 5 complete for sale today as I have SB66c frame on order.
I wrestled with it too, but I want to try out the new design, and hell I ride my trail bike more than anything else, so it might as well be nice.

qikss

Chimp
Apr 15, 2010
laguna
There's nothing wrong with spitfires, you just need to pay attention to your pivots and use grease as needed. (a 5-10 min job every month if you ride often like me)

Just wait for the new one and you wont regret it ;)

spitfire@oaks.jpg
Pictured here in "steep mode" during the first ride last year. back then it was 28.5 lbs, with a dropper now and some light tires its at 29ish currently. I run a zero stack headset now so i get the 66degreez with the vengeance at 160 in low mode.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Why the hate for VPP? Just curious, because the Blur TRc is exactly what you're describing. Make sure you ride one and that you're not basing your opinion on other VPP bikes.

Rapplez

Chimp
Apr 27, 2010
Marysville Wa
SB66 Carbon, thing is a mountain goat on the upside and a raging boulder on the downside. Long top tube makes it feel like a fighter jet at high speed also.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
hope you have a dropper if you want to pedal
Not as bad as you think when your actally using it as a trail bike instead of a min DH bike

I would change a few things, but I would rock the baby jeebus out of that ride.
I got to take one for a ride a while back..... It really rides badass....... Not as dH as the blindside, def not an XC bike but it does get the climb on, and soaks up the nasty

Late entry but...
http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/mountain/technical_trail/slash/

Friend of mine has one and he put a Hammerschmidt on it... effin rocks the bejesus put of it

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Come on BYO, WTF. You know bikes and all you've done is list a few pretty new options with ZERO input on what you're actually looking for. Linear suspension, rising rate, low as possible BB, stiff as possible, super light with long travel........

Come one. You're not some mtbr dipshlt who's never ridden fast and is awed by shiny powdercoats (or dull carbn™ that costs a lot). With what you've provided, all you're going to get is the same 'buy what I have' bullshlt responses that plague every other thread with this title.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
(buy what i have bull****)

Trance-X? Stick a 140-150mm fork up front, ride the crap out of it. They are light, pedal well, are pretty stiff, and seem to tolerate a fair amount of beating. BB height and angles alterable obviously depending on what fork and headset you run. Mine is about 13.5 and 67.5 with a Revelation at 150mm and internal headset. Alu, carbon front/alu rear, full carbon models.

Last edited:

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Hahaha,

What I didn't what to do was have this deteriorate into a pro/con thread based on opinions. I figured a list would suffice. Mainly, I was looking for options I missed.
I currently have an Intense SS. 140mm fork, dropper post. It's awesome, but it weighs a ton. If it were 3-4# lighter and 1/2" longer, it would be perfect. And yeah, the suspension action isn't it's strong point. I don't need more than 140mm travel as long as the geo is good.

So, better stiffness and pedaling than my SS. LOW BB. Reasonably slack, but nothing silly.
One of the best things about my SS, is that with the post slammed, it really does feel like a big 4X bike. It's the best jumping bike I've ever ridden.

I didn't care for the Blur TR despite the awesome numbers. It still felt like an XC bike. 1# of carbon in the right place to make that thing stiff would transform it.
That, and I'm not in love with SC's sizing.

Last edited: