Quantcast

DH'r getting into CX with a few questions.

RPG

Monkey
Jun 14, 2004
All over New England
What should I be looking into in a bike? Is Shimano 105 group a good group to have? I'm used to crisp shifting with my XO set up on the DH, will the 105 be adequate? I'm looking at the Jake the Snake and the Scott CX team. Kinda like the Scott as it has all Ultegra group, whereas the Kona has 105. I can get the Kona for about 400-500 less than the Scott though.

Any help would be appreciated.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
105 will work fine. When you bike is covered in mud, it doesn't matter what group you have because it will shift like crap. Cross is hard on components, so buying top shelf doesn't make sense (unless you have lots of extra cash lying around). I used to race for Scott and still have a Scott Team bike. Personally, I would buy the Kona. The Scott is hydro-formed aluminum, super stiff (which makes for a rough ride off road), and it has a triangle shaped top tube with the point being down right where you want to put your shoulder. I had their Addict and that bike was reasonably well thought out, this frame was not. Buy the Kona and use the extra cash to either buy tubeless wheels, or convert the wheels on the bike.

RPG

Monkey
Jun 14, 2004
All over New England
Great! That is exactly what I am looking for. Shifting is somewhat important in DH (when you need it, it's good), but wasn't sure how it translated over in CX. I was leaning towards the kona to begin with. Thanks