Quantcast

DHR question

drboudreaux

Chimp
Aug 2, 2005
mountains
Little but of help needed...

I have been riding an Ellsworth Joker (size M) for about 3 years now. After a couple of broken frames and many miles of good riding, it is time for an upgrade. I am seriously considering a Turner DHR. However, I have heard that the cockpits are somewhat cramped. I rode a friends large DEMO 9 and felt incredibly cramped on that bike. With this in mind, any DHR owners out there who could help me out with sizing issues? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

bfranke

Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
San Diego
How tall are you? I'm 6'1" and role on a large, feels perfect, but then again I didn't really get to test out any other sizes. Just couldn't pass up the deal on it.

drboudreaux

Chimp
Aug 2, 2005
mountains
I am 5'11" and weigh 165. I am going to throw a 888 on the front. My Joker is a M and has a Jr.T on the front with a 40mm stem. I am accustomed to the Joker after riding it for three years, so I want to get a similar "fit" out of the DHR. While I realize that the DHR is a completely different bike, I am hoping for as similar cockpit feel as possible.

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
185cm, 95kg riding a medium DHR with a 50mm stem, seat at the same height\ as the top headset cup. Feels good, don't have to bend my arms at all and good for pedalling, get good leg extension.

I find the medium turner is actually bigger cock pit wise then other mediums i have ridden such as the demo 8 medium, big hit medium and a super 8 medium.

Rafael-DH

Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
Brazil
i'm 1,85m and i used to ride a Medium DHR... works great with me!
I use integrated Manitou Dorado's stem, on the second shortest position and 1.5" bars.
I used to ride an Yeti DH9 Medium.... its longer than the DHR....

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Rafael-DH said:
i'm 1,85m and i used to ride a Medium DHR... works great with me!
I use integrated Manitou Dorado's stem, on the second shortest position and 1.5" bars.
I used to ride an Yeti DH9 Medium.... its longer than the DHR....
used to ride a DHR? didn't you just get it?

Unimog

Chimp
May 6, 2005
What size DHR would fit someone 5'7" tall? Also, what company makes a 135mm width 20mm axle rear hub for the turner?

Unimog

Chimp
May 6, 2005
I saw some blood red DHR pictures, but haven't seen any color other than black for sale. Is the read a team issue only? Does Hadley or someone else make the hub, I find the Ringle sound annoying? I am coming from a 17" 2003 Stinky Dee-lux with a seven inch 888 with lowrider crowns so my bike is pretty low and short how does the DHR compare?

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
I was actually suprised by the roominess of my medium DHR. I'm 6' 160 lbs and it fits me well. I would not be worried about a cramped cockpit on the DHR. My friend has a medium Demo 8 and I rode a medium Demo 9, they both had a significantly smaller cockpits. Sick bikes though.

And in response to you ^^^, Hadley makes a rear hub that fits a DHR. It's nice and quiet.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
Unimog said:
I saw some blood red DHR pictures, but haven't seen any color other than black for sale. Is the read a team issue only? Does Hadley or someone else make the hub, I find the Ringle sound annoying? I am coming from a 17" 2003 Stinky Dee-lux with a seven inch 888 with lowrider crowns so my bike is pretty low and short how does the DHR compare?
Red was done for my team ( www.speedmetalracing.com ), White was done for SEI. Black is stock. Im sure you will see some of the special color frames go up on the forums at the end of the season....

Any 12 x 135 hub will work (i have hadley now, and used azonic last year).

Cant comment on the frame comparison... i leave that to kidwoo since he seems to have ridden almost every bike out there.....

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
5'11" and fat and at first I felt like a medium was a little cramped but after a couple of rides I began to really like they way it fit and rode. best feeling DH bike I've been on but i'm much less of a bike testing whore than KW.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
I am 6' 0" and I ride medium with a straight post and 50 mm stem. Feels great for what it is made for ...DH.

zane

Turbo Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Vancouver, WA
I've ridden 3 different mediums , one had a Jr. T and 2 had 40's, and they all felt great to me.... and I'm 6' tall.

J

Monkey
Dec 7, 2003
San Luis Obispo, CA
oly said:
Any 12 x 135 hub will work (i have hadley now, and used azonic last year).
With adaptors, correct? Does Ringle make a true 20 x 135 to fit the DHR without adaptors? As far as I know the only hub to fit without adaptors is the RRR hub. :dead: I'm running an RRR hub and need a new rim soon and was thinking about also switching hubs.

Oh, and I'm 6'2" and ride a large DHR. I absolutley love the fit- the bike handles like you wouldn't beleive. :drool:

-J

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Sirbikesalot33 said:
With adaptors, correct? Does Ringle make a true 20 x 135 to fit the DHR without adaptors? As far as I know the only hub to fit without adaptors is the RRR hub. :dead: I'm running an RRR hub and need a new rim soon and was thinking about also switching hubs.

Oh, and I'm 6'2" and ride a large DHR. I absolutley love the fit- the bike handles like you wouldn't beleive. :drool:

-J
yea, any 12 x 135 hub with the frame spacers provided by turner.

I think the only 20mm hub is that RRR and those arent very common. I also read something about needing special non existant tools to service them? If its time for a new wheel, i'd switch to a more common setup incase you have problems and need quick service.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
oly said:
... i leave that to kidwoo since he seems to have ridden almost every bike out there.....
Still never ridden a nicolai or a IH sunday for any length ......or zedro's bike...... :p

Edit: or a banshee.......or an rmx.....or a norco DH..or any devinci......help me out here what else is there.....oh a broolyn.......uzzi slx.......turner rail.......I'm a curious whore what do you want?

2Edit: yeti asx......any of the new giants.......trek deisel......

Go ahead pick on the woo. But I'm still going to ask you to switch up bikes with me for a run at some point so I can see how a dhx feels on a turner.

But for the most part A DHR will feel like your in between the wheels more so than a Kona.

Most people who have ridden a DHR comment on this feel.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
kidwoo said:
Go ahead pick on the woo. But I'm still going to ask you to switch up bikes with me for a run at some point so I can see how a dhx feels on a turner.
Well, if you wouldnt have ignored me at whistler.... :( :) :)

Was talking to Acadain about an october trip on the 1st-2nd weekend. You can ride my bike then... may need your own sping though....

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
oly said:
Well, if you wouldnt have ignored me at whistler.... :( :) :)

Was talking to Acadain about an october trip on the 1st-2nd weekend. You can ride my bike then... may need your own sping though....
Aww man.

I still have a hole in my ribs from that day. :nopity: You know I wanted to ride with you. But but.........it hurts so baaaaad.

October is good.

A little cooler and fewer dopes on vacation.

I wanna break a 40 fork arch. I couldn't bust my buddy johns on his demo 8.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
kidwoo said:
Aww man.

I still have a hole in my ribs from that day. :nopity: You know I wanted to ride with you. But but.........it hurts so baaaaad.

October is good.

A little cooler and fewer dopes on vacation.

I wanna break a 40 fork arch. I couldn't bust my buddy johns on his demo 8.
No sweat... Anyways, I was afraid you'd laugh when you learned I only ride B-line and eazy does it.....and only listen to Petra and Culture Club.

Oh yea, Freaking Weaksauce 40... i better check mine tonight.......

Lets plan for that weekend? I need to do an overnghter to make it worth it...... day trips are possible, but lots of $$.

UNIMOG, Even though Race Vs Freeride is such a tired discussion here..... it is a race bike by design, but should stand up to any riding deemed "freeride"....

Unimog

Chimp
May 6, 2005
Yeah, that's what a unimog is, the dump body is a bout five feet high. We got one. I am trying to figure out how to use it for shuttles, other than just tossing the bikes in the back. Kidwoo, have you ridden a sinister R9?(I am trying to find something to compare the DHR to that I have ridden)

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Unimog said:
Yeah, that's what a unimog is, the dump body is a bout five feet high. We got one. I am trying to figure out how to use it for shuttles, other than just tossing the bikes in the back. Kidwoo, have you ridden a sinister R9?(I am trying to find something to compare the DHR to that I have ridden)

I quit.

Somebody stand up for me here.......1soulrider........superj.......that french guy that loaned me his demo that I ate sh!t on...........ender........