Quantcast

Dhr vs. 303r

-fysh-

Chimp
Jan 7, 2009
Gnarcal
I know I know, another one of these threads...but since I have only been able to ride an 08 Dhr once, not even for over 5 minutes, what would you guys recommend out of these two? I do mainly dh, but have a style that I may call "agile" and I like to pop around trails and off of objects, not plow through them.
I am wondering who has a decent amount of ridetime on any of these frames. I have read the rave reviews over the 303r, but can't decide if it's worth the 1lb. weight gain, or it is actually that much better than a Dhr.

Thanks,

-Sam

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
I'm not going to give you my talk as you can read all of the other ones.

I do want to point out that the 303R is by no means a plow bike at all. Pops easily, agile and builds light.

stringbean

Chimp
Aug 30, 2008
303r's deffinatly not a plow bike, more simmilar to a single pivot (beacuse it basicaly is) without the bucking you get from a true single pivot.

and its super smooth.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Nah, I gotta toss in the DHR as my favorite bike of all time still. Had the 02 through 05 models and each got better and better. Was off them for a few years, and this '08 DHR is just a work of art and rides fantastic.

It's easily the most flickable bike I've owned, while being crazy stable at speed! In terms of weight, I just built it up with borrowed parts, burly cranks and a Boxxer Team mounted to some generic rear wheel, a 36 hole several years old front wheel with 2.8" front tire, full DH tubes and tires...at 40lbs.

They're both US based companys and the DHR is actually made here. I assume the 303 is too? I don't think you'll go wrong with either bike, but if you like "agile", you'll love a DHR.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
one of the best, most highly evolved DH frames of all time, or something that's been on the market for a short period of time, weighs more, and uses a technology who's impact is often the source of argument? Dave turner may personally answer your questions...Yeti has....a very long thread about top tube dimpling and how that's ok?

YMMV, but if you don't mind riding a bike that may no longer be made in a year (little doubt that there will still be support from turner though) then I'd say go with the DHR. I'm sure the Yeti is a fine bike, but when comparing the two, I'd pick the turner, especially with the discounted frames from Go-ride.

Joss DeWaele

Chimp
Jan 30, 2004
The SLC
Neither bike is a big plow bike. Both are very fast in the corners, and quite "flickable." The 303r is far more linear in the way it uses its travel, while the DHR is going to be more progressive as the bike moves through its travel. The 303r is more adjustable in terms of geometry without affecting the linkage rate, which is very cool. But above all (in my opinion) the DHR is selling for a steal of a price:

http://www.go-ride.com/SPD/turner-dhr--160B0000-1131418755.jsp

I can't think of a better bike to buy for the $. If $ is no object (then awesome!) go with anything you like. If $ is a matter of concern, the DHR can't be beat.

MDJ

Monkey
Dec 15, 2005
San Jose, CA
I have read the rave reviews over the 303r, but can't decide if it's worth the 1lb. weight gain,
I can't believe you're letting 1 lb weight difference be a critical factor in your decision. Most bikes are relatively comparable and unless you're a top rider or really light, you won't really notice it that much. I'm not say weight isn't important, but it shouldn't be your deciding factor in choosing a frame. Figure out what is really important and get the bike that is right for your riding stlye. BOth of these bikes are great.

WBC

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
PNW
I have never ridden a 303R, but I owned an 08 DHR all last season and this season up until mid July. I only sold it to take advantage of the EP deal one last time before I stopped working at a lbs.

I REALLY wish I didn't sell that DHR. **** that bike kicked ass, so jumpy and poppy and fun. Wasn't the fastest through the real gnar chop if you got lazy, but it felt like you could do anything on that bike. Really quick and fun frame.

The 303 has a higher pivot point, and a more linear suspension design. Generally speaking that will give you a more glued to the ground feeling, and won't pop through tight corners as quickly (using more travel, more wheelbase extension). At the same end, the higher pivot/linear travel will probably be more stable at speed.

But I have ridden some really fast trails on my DHR and never felt like it was unstable...and besides all that, because it's a Turner, you know you'll always be treated like royalty if there is ever a problem - which there probably won't be.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
I had an opposite experience with the newer style DHR. It had really noticeable flex and I hated the characteristics it had in anything but short bermed corners. Was super hard to keep the rear wheel down and going where you wanted, but would still bottom out pretty easily. Unstable is the first word that came to mind. I guess it would be cool if there are no rocks where you live. It seems to give the rider the sensation of going fast without actually doing it since it gives the "loop-out" feeling when you get deep into a corner. Just wasn't my style. I guess I like more stable and deadened out feeling rigs.

It was too bad because the geometry on that bike was 99% perfect. The only complaint I had was the seat angle, but everything else was pretty spot-on.

The few times I had questions from Turner I got major attitude on the phone. Greg was great to deal with, but I don't even know who else I talked to there. I actually got yelled at once, and I wasn't even trying to push anyones buttons like I do here. But I've seen questionable stuff from Yeti CS as well.

I'd be REALLY curious to get some seat time on a 303r though. I thought the rear end action of the 303 was fantastic.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Near LA. I have no intentions of buying a new DH bike in the near future at all. I already have something in the works that should come together real soon. It would just be interesting to get one into some rough and twisty stuff.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
I own a 303R-DH and had a DHR, however the DHR was an 02 so a direct comparison wouldn't be fair.

My thoughts on the 303R after 7 weeks -

- Geometry adjust is easy to use. Each setting makes the bike handle noticeably different. Lives up to the claim that suspension rate doesn't change (nothing I can feel at least). I love the low setting; the fact that it's lower and slacker then the DHR would sell me on it alone.

- Cockpit length: it felt short at first, however after switching to a lower and wider handlebar set-up and some saddle time I really like it. The shorter cockpit means I'm well set-up to make any shifts I need to on the bike easily. I have had no issues with hitting my knees. I'm 5'10" and ride a medium frame.

- The suspension rate is very linear compared to some bikes I've ridden. The result is it's stiffer in initial travel then a lot of bikes, so small bumps are a little rougher but the chassis stays more stable. The latter is noticeable in berms and off lips. The linear rate also means that the transition from mid stroke to end is more easily isolated using the shock's compression damping. For example medium and large rocks are sucked up about the same if you have the Fox's bottom out adjustment backed all the way out - this is great for monster rock gardens. Overall my DHX settings are a work in progress - I am tempted to put a Double Barrel on here though.