Quantcast

DHX 3 or 5

Cooper

Chimp
May 18, 2005
Sydney, OZ
Hey guys i have recently aquired a new DH bike, an Orange 223.

The bike curently has a 5th element rear shock on it, however the shock needs a service and i also need a frimer spring (curently a 350) the cost involved have motivated me to look just selliing the 5th and getting my self a Fox DHX.

Options:
I can get my self a DHX 3 for pretty much swap cost over the 5th (comes with a 450 spring)
A new DHX 5 would cost me about $250 after selling the 5th.
Or could get the 5th serviced about $110

My Question is; is the 223 the type of bike tha will really benifit from all the extra adjustments that the DHX 5 (pro pedal and bottom out) has over the the DHX 3?

I have had a DHX 5 on a GT DHi before, and i never really bothered fiddling with the adjustemts, Genrally im not much of a tecono fidller. But i am happy to spend time tuning the suspension to get it to work its best afterwich i dont touch it.

Ps: I willl be using the bike just for racing, no hucks, fr stuff etc

Any info is much appreciated. cheers

preppie

Monkey
Aug 30, 2002
Europe
Never ridden an orange with a DHX 5, but I'm sure that
the propedal is a nice feature for a single pivot race bike.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
What are teh adjustments missing on the 3? I know it doesn't have bottom out adjust but it must still have either Boost Valve or ProPedal adjust.

If it were me I'd go for the 3; I can barely feel the difference from ProPedal fully on to off on my 4. It just isn't worth the money IMO.

Dirty

i said change it damn it....Janet...Slut!!
Aug 3, 2003
wait till you hear from transcend before making a decision...or PM him.
him and his race team have been on 223s/224s for a couple years now i think

Cooper

Chimp
May 18, 2005
Sydney, OZ
Bicyclist said:
What are teh adjustments missing on the 3? I know it doesn't have bottom out adjust but it must still have either Boost Valve or ProPedal adjust.

If it were me I'd go for the 3; I can barely feel the difference from ProPedal fully on to off on my 4. It just isn't worth the money IMO.

The 3 has the boost valve, which basicly means that more air preasuer will firm both the pro pedal and the bottom out.

Any coments transcend?

cheers

vpsaline

Monkey
Feb 11, 2006
Bicyclist said:

The DHX 3.0 and the DHX 5.0 are the same thing. The only differences are that the 5.0 has independant B.O. and Pro-Pedal. The DHX 3.0 has those but they are not independently adjustable. You want more Pro-pedal? You have to sacrifice compression firmess on the DHX 3.0.

RaID

Turbo Monkey
Id say definately go for 5, especially if youre racing.
It will allow you to fine tune the PP setting for each track. I find this feature very helpful on my sunday. I was suprised how much i adjust my suspension for a race setup to a general ride setup.

Cooper

Chimp
May 18, 2005
Sydney, OZ
any other coments?

Obviously i realsie that i will be loosing a bit of performance

what i am particularly interisted is the nature of the shock in relation to a long travel single piviot

eg: is the orange progressive or liniar ( in which casea boost valve would be more usefull?)

cheers

May 12, 2005
roanoke va
ya'll sure the dhx 3 even has the propedal? i thought that the 3 means 1: preload 2: boost valve 3: rebound
the DHX 4 adds the pro-pedal and the 5 adds the bottom-out, which is very useful even if you just fix it and forget it. the adjustment makes a large and noticable diffrence. i can't say much to the pro-pedal, since i've left it wide open, but friends say it works well and does it's profested job. for me, it was worth the cash to go for the 5 (next time i'm trying the roco) but go fox eather way. 5th will always be a thorn in your side.

vpsaline

Monkey
Feb 11, 2006
spacemanspiff06 said:
ya'll sure the dhx 3 even has the propedal? i thought that the 3 means 1: preload 2: boost valve 3: rebound
the DHX 4 adds the pro-pedal and the 5 adds the bottom-out, which is very useful even if you just fix it and forget it. the adjustment makes a large and noticable diffrence. i can't say much to the pro-pedal, since i've left it wide open, but friends say it works well and does it's profested job. for me, it was worth the cash to go for the 5 (next time i'm trying the roco) but go fox eather way. 5th will always be a thorn in your side.
DHX 3.0 = Compression Bottom-Out Propedal, Rebound, Preload

DHX 5.0 = Compression, Bottom-Out, Propedal, Rebound, Preload

RaID

Turbo Monkey
spacemanspiff06 said:
DHX 3 has a preset propedal intial stroke damping that is set by the factory and you cant adjust it. Compression, bottom out and propedal are all affected by the amount of pressure in the shock which you can change in the DHX 3. You just cant adjust each of them independantly as in the DHX 5 model