Quantcast

DHX 4.0 bottoming out (IFP-depth)

Muerto

Chimp
Oct 30, 2009
Sweden
I'm very happy with how my rear suspension is behaving 95% of the time, though sometimes when I mess up and 50/50 gaps, smash too hard into rock sections or just land heavy after a drop I bottom out a bit too hard for my liking.

Since I don't want to mess up any other settings, I just want to add some progressiveness, I was thinking setting the IFP at a shallower depth than standard should result in the desired behavior? I.e. a sharp ramp at the end of the stroke?

I've found a chart for the standard IFP depths and mine is listed at 34mm. How much dare I deviate from this? I know taking it too far will cause the hydraulics to lock out and potentially blow the seals...

(222mm e-to-e, 64mm stroke)

And yes, I am running correct levels of sag (30-ish percent), and no I don't want to add more overall compression (so no increasing air pressure or adding pro pedal)...

Thanks in advance.

wood booger

Monkey
Jul 16, 2008
the land of cheap beer
If you want to do it right: pull the spring off, let the air out and unscrew the bottom out adjuster so you can see the IFP. Compress the shock all the way and measure the distance to where the IFP would bottom. Adjust the IFP depth (you will have to add oil and reset IFP) so that you have at least a few mm's before the IFG physically bottoms and you have hydraulic lock.

BTW, I measured mine before pulling it apart and it was quite a bit less than I found on a chart (26.8mm).

RoboS

Chimp
Sep 1, 2008
Don't move it more that 2mm. So, final position would be 32mm. I have DHX5 (57mm stroke) and I've been trying two IFP depths 33mm and 35mm, it's night and day difference. You don't need to worry about hydraulic bottom out unless IFP sits at least 28mm deep for your shock. But I wouldn't set it so shallow.