Quantcast

DHX Air on a Sunday?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
afaik you will have to wait for the new lower plates (?) to be released before you can put a DHX or DHX air on.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
cogs said:
Has anyone put a DHX Air on a Iron Horse Sunday yet?
I would let some people do some testing on that stuff anyway even it did fit.
I don't think that DHX air is gonna work well on all DH bikes.
And I can imagine bikes like the Sunday and DHR may be a couple of them that shock is not ideal for.
I bet a properly tuned DHX coil would feel sick on a Sunday though.
Maybe DW or Ska Todd have already tested the DHX air and will chime in here.

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
I currently am running a DHX Air w/ proto 06 lower link on the Sunday. At this point I would hesitate to recommend running on it the Sunday for anything but a smooth course (say like Sea Otter). Maybe with some development time it can become a viable alternative to a standard DHX Coil or other coil spring shock, but for now I think it's still in the beginning stages of development for use on this bike.

Additionally, the air spring pressure and rebound adjustment are pretty much impossible to access while the shock is mounted on the bike, making tuning a slight PITA.

-ska todd

biker3

Turbo Monkey
ska todd said:
I currently am running a DHX Air w/ proto 06 lower link on the Sunday. At this point I would hesitate to recommend running on it the Sunday for anything but a smooth course (say like Sea Otter). Maybe with some development time it can become a viable alternative to a standard DHX Coil or other coil spring shock, but for now I think it's still in the beginning stages of development for use on this bike.

Additionally, the air spring pressure and rebound adjustment are pretty much impossible to access while the shock is mounted on the bike, making tuning a slight PITA.

-ska todd
Should we expect Fox on the rear of the Sunday's or are you guys sticking to the custom 5ths? Ive heard rumors that Sram is thinking of buying progressive.

The Kadvang

I rule
Apr 13, 2004
six five oh
biker3 said:
Should we expect Fox on the rear of the Sunday's or are you guys sticking to the custom 5ths? Ive heard rumors that Sram is thinking of buying progressive.
Yea?

Ska T: Is the DHX air just too progressive for the sunday?

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
biker3 said:
SRAM doesn't have that much money. Progressives moto division is pretty big. that would be expensive!

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
The Kadvang said:
Yea?

Ska T: Is the DHX air just too progressive for the sunday?
Nope, not at all. In fact once sir shock technology gets there its going to be a pretty perfect combination. All planned from the beginning, just the air shocks are a couple years late.

Dave

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
stoney98 said:
A thought just popped into my head. Theoretically, what *IF* Sram bought Progressive's bicycle division? What would happen to Manitou suspension? They have been relying, almost exclusively, on the 5th element/SPV damping. Would Sram be able to pull the licensing agreement from answer/manitou? Would that knock manitou out of the suspension field until theu were able to provide their own damping system?

Just a thought...

-stone
If somehow manitou's agreement wasn't transferrable.. I'm sure their lawyers would be in a big pile of poo poo.
Generally all liabilities, licenses and whatnot are all transferred to the new owner.. unless someone is very sneaky. :sneaky:

dw said:
...All planned from the beginning, just the air shocks are a couple years late.

Dave
dw, quit trying to sound so smart! Your making the rest of the industry look bad.

Jamsoul

Chimp
Jun 28, 2004
tha boot
stoney98 said:
A thought just popped into my head. Theoretically, what *IF* Sram bought Progressive's bicycle division? What would happen to Manitou suspension? They have been relying, almost exclusively, on the 5th element/SPV damping. Would Sram be able to pull the licensing agreement from answer/manitou? Would that knock manitou out of the suspension field until theu were able to provide their own damping system?

Just a thought...

-stone
I could be wrong on this but I thought both progressive and manitou shock technologies are both licensed from curnutt arent they?

trailhacker

Turbo Monkey
Jan 6, 2003
In the hills around Seattle
Biscuit said:
If somehow manitou's agreement wasn't transferrable.. I'm sure their lawyers would be in a big pile of poo poo.
Generally all liabilities, licenses and whatnot are all transferred to the new owner.. unless someone is very sneaky. :sneaky:
When Thule (or whomever) bought Sportworks, even though we had signed contracts, our sponsorship ended right there. We even had orders already in that were canceled.

tacobelldhr

Monkey
Jun 1, 2005
lake forest
two people had then on sundays in idaho ...it will work fine its just as compadible as anyother shock ...its not like the eye to eye is different or someshi* think poeple think!!! dumbAss**

Dunshee80

Chimp
Aug 16, 2004
tacobelldhr said:
two people had then on sundays in idaho ...it will work fine its just as compadible as anyother shock ...its not like the eye to eye is different or someshi* think poeple think!!! dumbAss**

your posts get better and better every time

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
stoney98 said:
cause it's light.
For 99% of the riders on the planet earth that smash into stuff, but maybe not everything , i 'm not buying theese airshocks........i could see it for backcountry DH trekking that is it.....

Otherwise, its the old "crank up the hype-o meter" and rake in the sales for FoxShox.....

Renegade

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
Mabey the DHX-air isn't for every bike, but some applications might be real sweet. I'm liking mine just fine so far.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
Renegade said:
Mabey the DHX-air isn't for every bike, but some applications might be real sweet. I'm liking mine just fine so far.
that's a great app for it......but for a DH rig i'm not buying it at all....

Oil/Coil all the way for DH......performance of the shock is what is most important in DH.....

If the Fox Air DHX rides like an Oil/Coil that would be a revolution and immense sales will follow......we'll see though......

Renegade

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
stoney98 said:
you have a suspension post on a 6" bike? wtf?
look a little closer. see the box like protrusion on the front of the seatpost, and the cable that drops down from it, which runs up to a handlebar mounted switch? It's a gravity dropper seatpost. I push a button, and can raise or lower the seatpost 3 3/4 inches, on the fly. A nice gizmo for a freeride bike.

yea, I get that same comment everytime I post a pic of my bike.

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
^ thats a cool thing. I wonder if it's up to 200lbs of weight?

Linky to a website for the company? If not, whats the name and what sizes does it come in? and how is it actuated?

thanks

Renegade

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
atrokz said:
^ thats a cool thing. I wonder if it's up to 200lbs of weight?

Linky to a website for the company? If not, whats the name and what sizes does it come in? and how is it actuated?

thanks
www.gravitydropper.com. I'm 185 without gear, been riding it for a year without any problems. The owner of the company is a real solid stand-up kind of guy. They standard length of drop is three inches [actually 2 and 3/4 inches] They also make 2 and 4 inch drops, I recently changed to the 4 inch one. A coil spring in the seatpost does the work. There are also two versions of the mechanism, the handlebar mounted remote switch like I have, and a less expensive seatpost mounted pull knob version. IMO, the handle version is the slick set-up, because you can raise or lower the post at the flick of a switch, while riding, without taking a hand of the grips. After mt second ride on it, I was sold on it. They are not cheap. But after you ride one for a while, you'll most likely believe it was worth it. The company offers a 30 day money back guarantee; if you don't like it, return it for a full refund.

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
I wonder what the chances are of it letting the spring loose and it nad's me..........

that being said, I also wonder what the strength of the spring is, because if its light, my last statement wouldn't wory me.

Renegade

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
The spring is well contained; you're not in danger of losing your gender. The spring rate is plenty for driving the post up; but it's not an ejector seat for when you get into trouble...

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
MBA had a pretty positive review on those a while back.
I've been wanting one for my trail bike, but just can't bite the bullet.

I always stop to rest before downhills anyway.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Cant Climb said:
that's a great app for it......but for a DH rig i'm not buying it at all....

Oil/Coil all the way for DH......performance of the shock is what is most important in DH.....

If the Fox Air DHX rides like an Oil/Coil that would be a revolution and immense sales will follow......we'll see though......
It's only a matter of time.