Quantcast

DHX and 888 works Impressions

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
So, I finally got my new DHR up and running, and we did runs all weekend.
We rode at a place in NC where tourists ride an elevator up to this historical place, because the views are so good. When we would start our shuttles, we were looking down on them. :D
This shuttle is not typical east coast style. It's all high speed and loose, and some sections remind me of Vermont as well with all the rocks and slabs. Anyway, Its a great place to work your suspension and your body. My fingers are still sore as I type.
First off, the DHX, I was just blown away by this shock. The one word that comes to mind is how smooth it is. It completely smooths out the entire stroke on the DHR. I don't know if it because they're custom tuned for our bikes or whether they all feel this good, but they ride incredible. The DHR has always sucked up small bumps and large hits well, but on medium size hits that did not blow through the platform on a Romic style shock, you could feel the suspension get unsettled. On the DHX, the stroke feels consistent all the way through its travel. Sharp impacts are sucked up, and when I landed a couple of jumps, I had to make sure that my wheels were actually back on the ground. Giddy up.
Onto the 888 works. I went for an aggressive setup on my fork this year, when I got Zoke to set it up. What I like about it is that it is super nice right off the top, where it soaks up all the little stuff and gives great traction, but this fork ramps up really quickly unlike the one I had last year. I am honestly not sure if this is because it is the works version or if all '05 888's do this, but whatever it is, the fork does not dive at ALL in its travel. I'm wondering if I need a lighter spring on one side, because I didn't come close to using full travel all day, even with all those high speed hits. But also, the fork sucked up everything anyway, so I may just ride it out like it is for a while.
I have never been happier on a new bike as I was on this one. My dumbazz went back to a medium frame this year, which I SHOULD have been on all along. It's so much more stable for my size, and I could not get it going fast enough in the straights. Anyway, I will post some pics soon, when I get all the right parts in, and hopefully some ride pics too. Sorry for the long post, but I get like this in spring when its DH time. :love: :love:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
have you ridden an avy similarly tuned for you to compare with the feeling of the dhx? just curious.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
Toshi said:
have you ridden an avy similarly tuned for you to compare with the feeling of the dhx? just curious.
Nope, but I have felt Avy's on DHR's (and other bikes as well) that felt great. I am just not willing to pay to play on that thing. When they are tuned for you, they are super nice riding shocks no doubt.

One nice thing about the DHX is its adjustability. The compression adjustment is especially nice, and you can feel a big difference with different air pressures. And the propedal knob is going to be really usefull to crank up on some of our pedalfest courses.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
fair enough. i like how my avy feels well enough that i don't mess with it at all. i figure there's more variability in my own riding and the terrain than can be accounted for or anticipated with the adjustments.

dr.harmonica

Chimp
Feb 13, 2004
Oslo, Norway
Jeremy R said:
Sorry for the long post, but I get like this in spring when its DH time. :love: :love:
Who doesn't?

I'm really looking forward to get some runs in on the DHX on my El Cuervo. Last year I rode a Big Hit with an Avalanche, and while I must admit that I do want an Ava on my Ventana, that DHX seems real nice. To bad there's still to much snow here.

So, how much difference do you notice when changing the reservoir size and fiddling with the air pressure on that DHX?

Keep the pictures and reports comming, it's a cure for us others that still have to wait a few weeks for the season to arrive.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Jeremy R said:
So, I finally got my new DHR up and running, and we did runs all weekend.
We rode at a place in NC where tourists ride an elevator up to this historical place, because the views are so good. When we would start our shuttles, we were looking down on them. :D
So ya'll went riding on the giant dildo?

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
dr.harmonica said:
So, how much difference do you notice when changing the reservoir size and fiddling with the air pressure on that DHX?

Keep the pictures and reports comming, it's a cure for us others that still have to wait a few weeks for the season to arrive.
The air pressure is the compression adjustment, but you can tell just from pressing down on the seat. If your spring rate is right, running it where Fox says at 150 PSI is spot on. But you can fine tune it around there to get it how you want it. The only downside is you never know how much air you let out when you take off the shock pump, well at least with my pump anyway.

Pictures and reports will keep coming. Don't worry. :)

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Here's my take on the ride..considering my '05 DHr is identical in terms of 888 works and DHX 5.0. It's honestly like being on a bike I've never ridden but that handles just like my old one. the Romic worked great and now the DHX has really woke me up to how much better it is.

Like Jeremy said..great. The impression I can give would be the equivalent to saying it feels more like my motocross bikes..totally smooth through the stroke but stiff without feeling harsh. When I hit this one particular rock kicker is when I first noticed it. I landed and immediately was reminded of my old KX bikes. I did not once bottom the rear out despite manualing into plenty of crap and conversely I did not EVER feel bucked by a sharp hit. It didn't blow through the travel, but never once felt like it was kicking back at me.

The works 888 I requested be set up for my aggressive riding style. So it is stiff and does nto blow through the travel. Last year mine would bottom out 1-2 times a run and that was due to preload the the wrong oil weight. Now it's stiff and still bomber plush. I am pretty sure I bottomed it but it wasn't anything that gave any abrupt feedback. After the first run I didn't notice the fork or shock doing anything..which is the best feeling.

The one thing that was evident about both ends of the bike....it stayed pressed to the ground and refused to wash out on either end.

ME HAPPY! Buy you a DHR...you can be too!

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
bradical said:
Hmm.. and I have been to this locale before right?

Congrats on getting all your stuff set up. Now, time to ride!
Yeah man, let me know when your trails dry out.
Yeah, you have been there before, but it is in WAY better shape.
We gotta go back soon.

JeffD

Monkey
Mar 23, 2002
Macon, GA
I spent all day at work daydreaming about DH and wishing daylight and my forearms permitted me about ten more runs. Jury's still out on the small frame for me...I'll reserve final judgement til I hit WR with it but I'm leaning towards going back to a bigger frame. Can't remember which bike I parking lot tested - think it was Butch's - but man did it feel great.

bradical

Monkey
Dec 9, 2003
G-Vegas SC
Jeremy R said:
Yeah man, let me know when your trails dry out.
Yeah, you have been there before, but it is in WAY better shape.
We gotta go back soon.
Will do. I'd like to get back up there. They were super fun runs. And fast too, till Butch lost a crank bolt :blah:

me89

Monkey
May 25, 2004
asheville
okay so here the deal then jeremy, butch, and bradical. next time the g vegas crew gets up to driving there asses up here again then we will have to rip up these trails that you speak off. and thanks again for the awsome right ups you are making me want a dhr and a sponsership so i can afford such kickass stuff. peace out and enjoy the new dhr boys.

bradical

Monkey
Dec 9, 2003
G-Vegas SC
bizutch said:
yeah...did you guys ever photog the magic ziptie brake???
I don't know, but that thing was money. Currently I'm using a vine to route my front brake line.
Jeremy still hasn't stood on his head and farted his socks off.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
bradical said:
I don't know, but that thing was money. Currently I'm using a vine to route my front brake line.
Jeremy still hasn't stood on his head and farted his socks off.
that's right...I did forget about that little bet. "No way you're gonna ziptie that broken lever back on! I'll stand on my head and fart my socks off." It wound up being stiffer than the stock weld!! :p :p :p