Quantcast

DHX coil on '05/'06 Enduro = 167mm of butter

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Well I finally mounted a DHX coil on my '05 S-Works Enduro. This shock doesn't alter the geometry at all (except at full compression of course) since the eye-to-eye is the same as stock but the stroke is increased by 0.25". The feel is awesome even compared to the DHX air which was a HUGE improvment over the stock Progressive garbage. I couldn't be happier with the ride of the bike, it feels as though the frame is finally living up to it's potential as a do-it-all bike.

I mounted up some Maxxis Highroller 2.35" "LUST" UST tires and the bike sits at 34# dead-on. Perfect if you ask me, light enough to toss around but heavy enough to dampen the blow of bouncing over the SB rocks. I will get a Ti spring once Manitou has 350's in stock but for now the stock steel unit is working just fine.

Now for teh pron :D

Action pics from Firestone to follow after this weekend....

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
The mounting harware is the same as the DHX air I had on previously. Just pop in the correct front reducers, pop out the rear DU bushing and then use the thin (DHX specific) cone washers and bolt that bad boy up. That's all it takes to turn a regular enduro into an SXT essentially.

old ol

Monkey
Apr 12, 2006
I worked out the driving situation.....They were kinda kidding around i guess.

Back on topic.....your enduro is so sick. I love the way it rides with that dhx coil. The air felt great, but the coil gives it the mini dh bike feel.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Monkeybidnezz said:
Hows the HA? Looks like the 36 Vanilla would help slacken it out a bit. Great looking ride.
The head angle is ~66.5° and the rear shock is setup to sag about 35-40% so I love the way it rides. I will get a 160mm TALAS-2 when they come out this summer. I won't get the Van because I like the adjustable travel of the TALAS for XC riding.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Gelbwurstbrot said:
How much is the DHX coil heavier then the 5th and DHX air?
The DHX coil is ~1 pound heavier than the DHX air, the DHX air is ~1/3 pound heavier than the 5th. I plan to get a Ti spring to drop ~1/2 pound compared to the steel spring.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
stoney98 said:
Sean, your bike is awesome.
Riding it around was the basis of my decision to build up an all mountian bike 6/6" 34-36#.
Now I just need to build mine.
You still planning to come down and race this weekend?

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Nagaredama said:
What is the bottom bracket height with the fork at 160mm?
The fork only goes to 150mm and the bb height is stock. I think 13.5 or thereabouts. Check the specialized website for exact specs.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
stoney98 said:
Can't. I double booked and made plans with my girl before I had planned on the race. If her bro was coming down with me, it'd be game on, but I can't ditch plans with her for a solo race weekend.
Looks like I might be doing fontucky, because I want to qualify for nats at expert (I'm in for sport from otter, but I'm not kind of bagger).
When are you heading up this way again? Ride?
Okay, cool. Too bad. I'm not sure about my next trip up north but it might be soon....

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Rockland said:
Very nice! :) No more Saint mech?
Keen eye ;)

I ditched the Saint because I could never get it to shift just right. There was slop in the pivots and it allowed the cage to slant towards the spokes when in the large cogs. Also I don't like rapid rise and now that Shimano has announced they will begin selling "regular" derailleurs again I figured i'd start getting used to it now and maybe give a "regular" Saint der. a go when they come out.

sod8

Chimp
Dec 10, 2001
Santa Barbara, CA
That bike looks sweet! I just picked up a prophet mx (wihout the rear shock) that I am going to build as my do-it-all bike. I am trying to decide between the dhx coil or air. I plan on doing a lot of climbing but I want something that can handle our rocky trails when going down.

On another note, Sean, do you still work at the Goleta Velo Pro? Do they have a press for a 1.5" headset.

old ol

Monkey
Apr 12, 2006
* I think you can get the regular head set press to work, but its not ideal. Park i think is coming out with some products for 1.5 things. I dont think there out yet, but don't quote me on that. Certain places like go-ride have custom mashined ones that they use for custemers bikes...thats all i know.

Kram

Chimp
Oct 5, 2001
New Zealand
love the bike. I recently bought the 06 and it's the best fun bike I've ever owned. The DH bike sits around a lot now. :)
Question - how did you slacken the HA. Aren't they 68 deg with the slack adapter?

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
good to hear you got it on there and it works.....

wonder why they did the 9x2.75 on my '06 sxt?

I'm jealous you got the air pressure valve.

I'm typically a nitpicker when it comes to my bikes and end up not liking something but I'm definately enjoying this one.

have fun, how about some riding shots....

Netguy

Monkey
Nov 8, 2004
Whistler
Yes, practically an SX Trail. Looks hella nice though.

Did you find a Ti spring for that thing yet? I have been trying to do the same for my SX.

ragin-sagin

Monkey
Oct 2, 2003
NZ
Sweet. Hey Sean- that looks like a "normal" dhx (not the specialized specific) on there? Everywhen I read said they wouldn't fit! Fackin interweb lies!!! Looks sweet...I see a 8.75x2.75 dhx in my future...

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
ragin-sagin said:
Everywhen I read said they wouldn't fit! Fackin interweb lies!!! Looks sweet...I see a 8.75x2.75 dhx in my future...
They don't fit if you use the steep shuttle.

ragin-sagin

Monkey
Oct 2, 2003
NZ
syadasti said:
They don't fit if you use the steep shuttle.
Right, right, the slack shuttle needs to be used...but what about the air valve? Sean, your cap doesn't stick out nearly as far as the others I have seen. What the dealy-o??!??!

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
ragin-sagin said:
cap doesn't stick out nearly as far as the others I have seen. What the dealy-o??!??!
The newer DHX have a recessed valve, they fit with the slack shuttle. Jason Chamberlain, an engineer from Specialized, posted this on MTBR about a year ago:

JakeWake 5-16-2005@Emptybeer said:
Current DHX 5.0 will fit in the slack position, as long as it is the newer version with the recessed IFP filler valve. You will also have to get SX trail spherical spacers from SBC and should grind down one edge just a touch for a perfect fit. A little challenging, but it can be done

The best idea is to wait for Fox to deliver their complete Enduro aftermarket package which will include a shock that fits in both positions and the correct spacer.

JC

Netguy

Monkey
Nov 8, 2004
Whistler
syadasti said:
The newer DHX have a recessed valve, they fit with the slack shuttle. Jason Chamberlain, an engineer from Specialized, posted this on MTBR about a year ago:
It would be nice if Fox could do the same for Demo fitting issues!

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Netguy said:
It would be nice if Fox could do the same for Demo fitting issues!
The recessed IFP filler valve is found on regular newer DHX/DHX Air shocks.

The Specialized specific Fox Enduro DHX Air shock kits have no IFP filler valve at all (so you can use the steep shuttle with the DHX on the Enduro).

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
sod8 said:
That bike looks sweet! I just picked up a prophet mx (wihout the rear shock) that I am going to build as my do-it-all bike. I am trying to decide between the dhx coil or air. I plan on doing a lot of climbing but I want something that can handle our rocky trails when going down.

On another note, Sean, do you still work at the Goleta Velo Pro? Do they have a press for a 1.5" headset.
I do work at both shops but I don't think we have a 1.5 press at either though. All the Sinisters we've sold we've installed E.13 flush reducers which press in with a normal press. Does park make some pieces to adapt a regular press to 1.5? If so I could probably justify buying a set for shop use.

As far as your Prophet goes, the best bet is to try both options. That's what I did and ultimately on my bike the coil feels that much nicer. It does also offer more travel though which is not the case on the Prophet. On the flip side, I have installed DHX airs on both a Stinky and a Stab Supreme and both of those bikes actually feel much better with the air than they did with a coil.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
syadasti said:
The recessed IFP filler valve is found on regular newer DHX/DHX Air shocks.

The Specialized specific Fox Enduro DHX Air shock kits have no IFP filler valve at all (so you can use the steep shuttle with the DHX on the Enduro).
Even with the boost valve all the way out there is still lots of clearance. I bet you could use the steep shuttle as long as you ran the boost volume in at least half way or so. The funny thing about the whole clearance issue is why would you run the steep shuttle on a 7" freeride bike? And why would you run the boost volume all the way out so the bike bottoms all the time? The setup you have to run is the setup that works the best so who cares??? I have mine set up exactly how I like it and everyone who rides it instantly loves it as well.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Kram said:
love the bike. I recently bought the 06 and it's the best fun bike I've ever owned. The DH bike sits around a lot now. :)
Question - how did you slacken the HA. Aren't they 68 deg with the slack adapter?
Although the Specialized literature claims a 68.5º head angle, I have measured mine with a digital angle finder and found it to be closer to 66.5º. When I measured I put the bike on as flat a surface as I could find and then I measured once, rotated the bike 180º, measured again and then averaged the two results to get ~66.5º. I presume that Specialized is giving their claim based on a 5" fork? I know on the old Enduros they were basing the geo. on a 4" fork even though many of the models came with forks adjustable up to 5" (at least for my old '02 Enduro Pro.)

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Netguy said:
Yes, practically an SX Trail. Looks hella nice though.

Did you find a Ti spring for that thing yet? I have been trying to do the same for my SX.
Yes, I am going to run a Manitou since they are smaller, lighter than RCS and they fit the DHX better since they are made for a Swinger which is dimensionally the same as a DHX.

-Castle, look for some pics after Firestone. I never bother to bring a camera riding but my GF will be shooting at the race this weekend as well as many others so I'm sure I'll get a few shots up.

gmac

Monkey
Apr 6, 2002
man you were way ahead of the curve on this build.

no problems w. the frame or wheels huh ?