Quantcast

Diablo gravity series

GPERKINS

Monkey
Jul 25, 2007
Timberlake
Hey, Everyone,

Did some research on the diablo gravity series and it looks fun. I plan on doing this series instead of the snowshoe series.

Can anyone gaive me some feedback from last years series about courses, organization, prizes, and also what the turn outs where like.

Thanks,

Austin

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
You can also go on the Diablo website and look at the previous results (that will give you a lot of good info on class sizes, competitiveness, attendees, turnouts, etc).

fortenndu

Turbo Monkey
Apr 22, 2008
Boone, NC
Just race Platty and Highland. You'll have a better time and your wallet might thank you. It's something like $85 to race DH at diablo this year.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Really this crap again comparing the mountains. At least if you think something is better try to explain why.

I have raced Platty and Diablo and like both and did not find one more fun than the other. The only difference is convenience where Diablo is a short trip for me but if Platty was the same distance I would for sure ride there more.

DsDhBxracer13

Monkey
Feb 18, 2004
Burlington, Vermont
Just took a look over the Diablo site as I plan on doing the entire series. Definitely a little pricey at $85 to race and ride for the weekend, but that isn't much more than many other places, and you at least have a vast amount of terrain if you want to ride something different.

Now looking at the schedule there is one thing that really put me off. It says that DH practice on Saturday is from 9:00 AM -12:00 PM. I sure hope that his is incorrect as that is ridiculous. Some of us have to drive 4+ hours Saturday morning, so we are supposed to leave at 4 in the morning so that we can get a few hours of practice in. That's seems a little absurd. I do hope this is a misprint.

http://diablofreeridepark.com/diablogravityschedule.html

jerseydirt

Turbo Monkey
May 6, 2007
dirty jerz
I IS DIABLO GROM. that is a clue of what happens in the diablo forum. Don't listen to those platty h8rs, they are always just trying to get everyone not to go to diablo. Diablo series is a great series with tons of prizes and organization, they also recently lowered the race entry fee. And Btw, the dh practice on saturday is all day, thats only on sunday morning before the race, there must have been a typo or you read it wrong. More bang for your buck.

GPERKINS

Monkey
Jul 25, 2007
Timberlake
The reason I'm asking guys is because it will be close to a 9 hour drive. so I want to make sure that this is a series a lot of people are liking

dcrides

Chimp
Jun 24, 2005
I would ride diablo for sure. But drive 9 hours to race there, definitely not. If you have already raced the shoe and massanutten then I would hit a bunch of different races. The gravity east races are always fun. I would look to ride the more southern races in the series and maybe a few further north. There are two in PA this year. Committing to a local series isn't that great unless you own a seasons pass or live extremely close. I think it gets stale and the competition/turnout can vary. Thats why GES is probably the best option (plus you will get a feel for all the different mountains rather than only one).

DownhillR3

Monkey
May 31, 2007
The reason I'm asking guys is because it will be close to a 9 hour drive. so I want to make sure that this is a series a lot of people are liking
9 hours of driving to compete in the Diablo races or any "normal" series for that matter... I give you credit. That's what I call dedication.

Guess I shouldn't take for granted looking out my window & seeing the Diablo trails.

Last edited:

jcook90

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2006
Connecticut
I ride diablo every weekend in the summer. I am just saying that there needs to be more natural dh trails, since they started putting up all this slopestyle stuff, it has taken the focus away from the dh.
Wow your serious aren't you. Think about where the race courses run...

dcrides

Chimp
Jun 24, 2005
Your guys are right. I will probably end up doing gravity east instead. Get more exprience on more mountains
Yeah thats probably the way to go. Contrary to what a previous poster said Diablo has an awesome mix of rocks and jumps. Its neither super gnarly (except for maybe 1 or 2 spots) or super jump infested but it has variety. Plus you can really lap it out. It is also open every day for some time during the summer. I would skip out on the Diablo series but try and hit the mountain for fun on the way to/from a GES event.