Quantcast

Diablo Today

davidt

Monkey
May 13, 2007
Dry Dry Dry, HOT, HOT, HOT!

Everyone was hoping for some rain... unfortunately our wishes went unheard....

Alpine was a dust bucket... everything was super dry today... but great though... :-)

Starting off i was excited to be there then after 1 run, i realized that my body was there but my mind was elsewhere for my first few runs sucked major ass... then i got my wings back, and then lost them somewhere, my riding was a 4 out of 10 today. (note: i did not crash or anything, just my riding sucked, my bike rode me and i did not ride it)

I have Great News though.... Kat, yes Kat, His Phantom, just proves that she has more Cojenes than i do...

I still have not hit it, here are a few pics....

& Kat

Good work Girl.... Glad i was around to capture it! i guess now it's my turn!

davidt

Monkey
May 13, 2007
dave check your pm's
you got it, i didn't realize i had 15 PM's... lol

you'll get an email when i get home from work!

i was having Dreams of hitting phantom, i'm sooo pissed at myself. i know i can hit it, i got the skill and my R9 will Soak it all up, maybe it's the fact that i'm afraid of heights, but i'm going for it Next Weekend, **** that....

Jan 18, 2005
dirty jersey
i was having Dreams of hitting phantom, i'm sooo pissed at myself. i know i can hit it, i got the skill and my R9 will Soak it all up, maybe it's the fact that i'm afraid of heights, but i'm going for it Next Weekend, **** that....
that's how i was about road to nowhere when it was new. i spent half the season lying in bed visualizing how it should go. when i finally hit it i was like "WTF that was it?! i was afraid of that!?!?"!

davidt

Monkey
May 13, 2007
yes Kat, i will, sorry about that been working late and been hitting up the dirt jumps here in nyc, so when i get home i don;t even turn on the PC, but i will bless you guys with hose photos today.

omarfunk

Chimp
May 8, 2007
Hey Dave.

Come on Just do it, you don't need to do anything just a little speed and let it drop. It is super smooth. You have been riding for more time than me I hit Phantom for first time 2 weeks ago and after doing it I said to my self oh this is not as hard as it looks. So will I see you going for it this weekend? (I met you couple of times in racer's edge)

davidt

Monkey
May 13, 2007
nice, i'll give it a shot.... i cannot wait... going for broke this weekend! if i fall i'll get up, look up and do it again!

runnin12s

Monkey
May 14, 2007
Waverly, NY
Just to let everyone know, this is NOT a speed jump. When I first approached this drop I thought twice and said no I'm not doing it, then 3 girls ran 1,2,3 off the thing while I was standing there looking stupid. I asked the advice of someone that looked as if they knew what they were talking about this is what they said " you have to carry as much speed as your tires will allow in the dust around the corner onto the deck, give it 5 or six good pedals to get a little more momentum and just lean back when you go off it." now mind you i'm not a beginner, I have dropped and jumped everything that diablo has to offer but for some reason this drop looked different (i've never dropped from a rooftop before) so I thought well the advice sounds fine, I pedaled my way a few hundred feet up the hill, turned around carried 15-20 mph speed around the corner, gave a few hefty pumps at the pedals, thought in my head this is way to much speed but I don't want to hit the top of this drop and said "what's the worse that can happen?" as I always say on my first attempt at anything, needless to say I launched off the decking and instantly said oh sh*t. as you can all guess that have done this drop, I flat landed about 20 feet past the base of the landing ramp, bottomed out front and rear suspension and made my own trail down to the lift. So for everyone out there that's going to try this drop, you only need to coast the corner and let the bike roll off the ledge (probably 7 or 8 mph max) good luck

Rob Munro

Monkey
Jul 22, 2005
I'm sure dave knows that, he's been plotting his attack for a year. but that's a good point on the speed. best bet is to follow someone who's done it before.

davidt

Monkey
May 13, 2007
Mentally now i think i overcame the fear of heights and need to go for it.

No lie, i have had 3 dreams about me doing that drop... funny ****, i'm thinking about it too much of it, i HAVE to do it this weekend... i'm gonna do it this weekend.... even if i case it i don't care it has to be done...

runnin12s

Monkey
May 14, 2007
Waverly, NY
I have done them both on this drop, the case wasn't as bad as I thought and if you have sufficient travel in the rear you will handle it fine, just don't overshoot and that's a good idea to follow someone who has done it.

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
Dave if you don't do it this weekend I know someone who will buy your R9 off ya. Thanks for the pic. I will be up all day sun but I am going to try and head up sat for a few early runs. I have to be home for 3.