Quantcast

Diablo Video.... Check it!

Discussion in 'Downhill & Freeride' started by yuroshek, May 23, 2010.

1. yuroshek

yuroshek Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    #1 -   May 23, 2010
    Last edited: May 23, 2010

Please register to disable this ad.

2. acair422

acair422 Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 2
    o i see how you can't edit us in there...phantom rider lookin pretty fast tho...even got a little drifty...idk how racer that is

3. DownhillR3

DownhillR3 Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    Obnoxious TLD Kit + Mirrored goggles= Fail.

#3 -   May 23, 2010
  4. chillindrdude

chillindrdude Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    8 / 23
    Northern VA, a peckerwood with too many guns
    not too shabby denis.

5. ronan

ronan Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    + bars longer then himself and a roost guard (??)

cool vid though

6. pelo

pelo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    Why don't you post a vid so we can see what to wear?

Hey, yuroshek. Great vid, thanks for posting. Nice trail and good riding.

7. yuroshek

yuroshek Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    thanks guys, i really gotta figure out the zoom on this camera, its super touchy, its really hard to have a nice steady zoom in and out. ill get it down soon which will make the video just a bit better.

8. DirtyMike

DirtyMike Turbo Fluffer

Rep/Likes:
    59 / 744
    Damn Dennis, Im gonna have to make a trip out that way oine of these days

9. gemini2k

gemini2k Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    10 / 114
    Still trying to figure out where the roost is coming from in DH. I see people around here riding with them all the time. I honestly want to know why people where them for DH. Not trying to be a smartass, honestly curious. I ask people and they just like look at me blankly and don't give an answer.

#9 -   May 23, 2010
  10. DirtyMike

DirtyMike Turbo Fluffer

Rep/Likes:
    59 / 744
    While its design doesnt offer a direct line of force absorption, it does spread the impact over a larger area, thus reducing the impact force. Also offers decent protection post impact IE sliding on sharp rocks...

Overall, full blown proper chest protection si in fact better, but the roost guard does more than people give it credit.

11. DownhillR3

DownhillR3 Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    Evan Gilardi on Vimeo ...I am Evan.

Gemini, the reason why I personally wear a chest protector or as some say, "roost guard" is for the simple fact of hard shell protection mainly in the shoulders against trees and as Mike stated about sliding. I have been using FOX chest protectors since the first time I started riding Downhill three seasons ago after my short Moto career and luckily once the Leatt became available, it fit like a glove in the chest protector I was and still am currently using. Hope that helps somewhat to wrap your head around the reasoning.

12. DirtyMike

DirtyMike Turbo Fluffer

Rep/Likes:
    59 / 744

Evan, Check these out, I think it just might fit your bill better

http://www.evs-sports.com/product/ballistic-jerseys/ultra-x-ballistic-jersey/

13. SteezyWeezy

SteezyWeezy Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 0
    finish line huck!!! makes me so sad im not gonna make the open.

#13 -   May 23, 2010
    Last edited: May 24, 2010
  14. Hesh To Steel

Hesh To Steel Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 1
    I've gotta figure that people just look at them as another type of chest armor.

Dennis, these videos are looking great. I'm no expert, but it seems like you've got a good eye for this stuff. Props.

15. bansheefr

bansheefr Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
  16. chillindrdude

chillindrdude Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    8 / 23
    Northern VA, a peckerwood with too many guns
    i'm sure the jump will have a go-around. i also think a step down is somewhat safer than the 40ft doubles they had at Nats last year at Sol Vista.

17. bizutch

bizutch Delicate CUSTOM flower

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 8
    Will it have a nice super spongy sold like landing to "almost" rip your rear wheel out first run like 2 years ago? hah hah...

FYI, I'm just kidding. First run of the first day of practice, I boosted that thing thinking i was gonna hero it. Rear wheel nearly imbedded in the soft dirt and I gooned the lander hard. After that it was good though. :thumb:

18. IH8Rice

IH8Rice I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!

Rep/Likes:
    62 / 485
    get a better camera?

19. norbar

norbar Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    29 / 298
    Yeah, even if you land short with the proper skills you can still save it on a not so tall stepdown. Not so much on a double. Though I was never a fun of hucks on dh tracks.

20. missiongravity

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    If you go into the menu on the camera there should be an option to set ZOOM speed so that it is manual or usually there are about three different pre set speeds.

21. acair422

acair422 Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 2
    yeah i'm not sure how many people will be hucking off that thing...however the odds of over jumping it are low....

22. bansheefr

bansheefr Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    I'm sure there will be a go-around, as they have had in past years. It will be much much slower. It does look safer than the 40ft doubles at Sol Vista, except those were pro only for a reason.

Don't get me wrong... Course improvements and additions are welcome, but considering the success of the US Open has a lot to do with the number of amteur riders in attendance, that should be considered when designing the course. I'll stop being a whiney little b!tch now and see you all at Diablo next weekend.

23. norbar

norbar Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    29 / 298
    Actualy I get you. We had the same problem with big jumps some time ago in Poland. What always bugged me is that the only big double I've seen on the wc circut is the one in champery (and im not even sure if it was that big as I wasnt there in person). Schladming had NO big jumps, maribor had a ~10m table and some smaller jumps. The days of Willigen dh seem kinda over. Though I've seen some 30+ stepdowns done really smart, where you could fall short and not really hurt yourself and have a really long riders for the huckers that want to pop that lip. I won't travel acros the ocean to see it so I wont judge it but it doesn't look half as bad. Maybe a steeper landing + a smaller kickoff would be nicer but photos are decieving and I'm picky about jumps since I ended my season on a very stupid one some time ago ;)

24. ebarker9

ebarker9 Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 2
    Out of curiosity, what trails are we looking at from 0:40-1:00? Can't quite place them.

25. slowitdown

slowitdown Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    I lived in northern NJ a long time ago, mid-80s to mid-90s, and skied at Vernon Valley several times. Since leaving NJ I have become a more serious MTB rider and while I'm glad to be gone from NJ's crowds, the fast-paced attitudes of a lot of people and employers, and the insanely bad drivers on the crowded roads, I wouldn't mind living near Vernon NJ now! Great looking trails.

I think the huge jumps seem to be reflecting the influence of motocrossers getting into DH.

As an old dude who still likes DH riding I know I would skip a 40 foot gap just because healing from a screwup would probably be 1-2 seasons off the bike, not 1-2 weeks like it is for teenagers and dudes in their 20s. The general drift in internet commentary on American DH courses seems to be toward moto-style stuff with relatively smooth trailbed, big jumps, wide track taping. I prefer narrow technical trails and tracks myself, and to me, big gap jumps are more about balls than technique, sorta like big hucks in the freeride world of the early-mid 2000s.

Sorta like this.

Who wants to go through what Johnny Waddell went through?

#25 -   May 24, 2010
  26. SylentK

SylentK Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    14 / 180
    I think track builders are figuring things out. Big jumps can be made safe (reference Sol Vista Nat's). Yes, that jump looks big, but it looks "safe" to me (or at least "not unsafe"). I'd want to see what kind of speed I had for that feature and probably follow someone over it. But ya, my total e-speculation sez 'I'd hit that'.

27. Big J

Big J Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    How big was last year's gap?

J

28. DownhillR3

DownhillR3 Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    Lower two portions of the trail called Twist. They mellowed it out alittle to much by removing all the rocks...

The jump is pretty massive compared to previous years, coming from someone who's viewed it in person. Doesn't seem do-able just coasting into it like I saw the pro's last year do on the RedBull stepdown, but what do I know, i'm only an amateur.

29. ebarker9

ebarker9 Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 2
    Ok, yeah. The Jack is neutered too. I'm a pansy though, so I'm not complaining too much. Cool to see some of your lines, especially on Bushwack.

30. norbar

norbar Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    29 / 298
    Actualy wide tracks are imho a very good thing. They are much safer, give you a wider choice of lines and give you place for creative lines therefore rewarding inteligent riders and enlarging the differances between ppl. Also the precieved speed is lower so all the people go much faster. You can still make a technical track that is quite wide. WC tracks are good examples. On most of the tracks they are quite wide.

As for guys in their 20s. Im in my 20s and I notice I heal a lot slower than in my teens. I imagine how it must feel ;) Though 40feet is still not that crazy as long as its not a double ;)

To me Maribor and Schladming are the perfect trails. Wish I could visit them again (and schladming with a bike this time ;) ).

31. pelo

pelo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    #31 -   May 24, 2010
  32. Big J

Big J Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    Come on....I know one of you guyz/utz measured it.

J

33. Inclag

Inclag Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    8 / 44
    Hoping it's not windy since it's been a problem before. The area is so exposed.

34. Inclag

Inclag Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    8 / 44
    In the past it's been around 30ft.

Hope they added a little height to the jump.

35. rpet

rpet Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    27 / 255
    so lower Twist is back open as of this past weekend? I really missed being able to run the whole thing the first 3 weeks.

36. yuroshek

yuroshek Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    cough cough my lines cough cough :D

37. ebarker9

ebarker9 Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 2
    Anyone's lines who is faster than I am, which is pretty much anyone :)