Quantcast

Diablo = Whistler East?

Mega T

Chimp
May 14, 2007
After reading the dual slalom thread, it looks like Diablo's future plans are already set. Year after year, opening day always arrives with great new additions. After spending a week riding Whistler as well as other lift accessed parks in BC, I definitely appreciate what's in my "backyard" at Diablo more. I was just thinking what it would take to turn Diablo into a legit Whistler East. Granted, I rode Whistler in the pouring rain with the top half of the mountain covered in snow, and on a weekday they had more people riding than a packed Saturday at Diablo, so it's easy to see how much more $ they have to work with (not to mention a lot more vertical feet). Just my random thoughts:

1. Level everything from the woods that the Flume Drop is in down through the porch drop (which has run its course).

2. Convert entire cleared area into a mini-Boneyard for all to ooh and ahh over at the base of the mountain. Imagine all the gawking water park patrons and bikers. It will be famous in no time.

3. Take all cleared wood from trees and lumber from porch and use to make a Clown Shoes type run... skinnies (really the only thing Diablo lacks) and crazy wood features, top to bottom.

4. Groom entire run of Evil Bob or Morning Wood (whatever trail it is if you go down/left after lower dominion) and make it an extension of dominion by adding doubles and tables right down to the bottom. It shall be called D-Line. Seriously, upper/lower Dominion are sweet, but imagine hitting those and realizing you have about 15 more to go before you get to the bottom.

4. Hold Crankworx type festival in mid-Summer which will attract thousands, many of which will try/get hooked on the sport and become season pass holders, justifying the cost of everything I just mentioned.

5. Diablo becomes spawning ground for a good number of the next generation of Aaron Chases.

TMXownrsgrp

Chimp
Oct 19, 2007
NJ
MegaT, post this under "Park Suggestions for 2008". Really good points by the way. If your lookin for a WHistler quality venue, go to WHiteface.

Jun 13, 2007
jay,ny
MegaT, post this under "Park Suggestions for 2008". Really good points by the way. If your lookin for a WHistler quality venue, go to WHiteface.
whiteface has a long way to go to be whistler type place it has the vert but not trail features, except the north east shore
diablo has the resorses but not amount of space tobe a whistler
type spot

tree hugger

Monkey
Jul 18, 2007
trouble is they don't own the land outright. the mountain is still really looking out for their bread and butter ski/snowboard business. I think the Diablo crew is doing great work under the current situation.

give it another 2 or 3 seasons of 50 degrees and no snow and it might turn in our favor.

factorymx

Monkey
Jul 24, 2007
not destroy phantom. he is saying to level out the dirt before it so you would be able to cut the flume and go straight to phantom

FOXROX

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2007
hambur,nj
3. Take all cleared wood from trees and lumber from porch and use to make a Clown Shoes type run... skinnies (really the only thing Diablo lacks) and crazy wood features, top to bottom.

factorymx

Monkey
Jul 24, 2007
hmmm that sounds stupid phantom is perfect, it would cost more $ and time to do that then to just get new wood