Quantcast

Diesel Monkeys

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
How many miles is "too many miles" on a Ford diesel power plant?
In specific in a 2002 Ford RB E350 Diesel 4x4?

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
anything with over 120,000 miles is too many miles on my book.
its not only the pistons and rings that wear down on a car you know. i hate sloppy suspensions and rattles.

i try not to buy cars with no more than 30,000 miles on them, and usually sell them before they hit 50,000.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
I am looking at buying one with 170K on it and have no worries, Bottom line though for anything used....... How did the owner take care of it.... If they ran it hard and beat the **** out of it, then stay away. If they took care of it and repaired things as needed then go for it.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
2002 model year was the 7.3 power plant. Bombproof engine highly desirable
Yupppppp, that would be my dream van there. Those things go and go and go, easy half million miles. International actually made the motor, and if it's the auto trans I'm thinking of those are supposed to be great for what they are

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Yes, its the auto with the 7.3. Has 161,xxx on it.
Its one of those Sports Mobile vans. I'm thinking of selling my 2005 Tacoma, getting the SM and some sort of sedan/coupe for around town. I wouldn't mind having a van I could leave town in and never have to use a hotel except to shower.

BUFFALO

Vigorous Giver of Reputation
Feb 11, 2005
Renton, wa
From my research in lusting for a van I will likely never have, that is the one to get. If you haven't been there before, check out expeditonportal.com. They have a SMB forum, but the camper van section gets much more traffic and lots of diesels and 4x4 van talk in there. Go get the van and never look back!!

gonefirefightin

free wieners
Yes, its the auto with the 7.3. Has 161,xxx on it.
Its one of those Sports Mobile vans. I'm thinking of selling my 2005 Tacoma, getting the SM and some sort of sedan/coupe for around town. I wouldn't mind having a van I could leave town in and never have to use a hotel except to shower.
all my 7.3 liters burned for more than 400k, you will need to rebuild the tranny at least twice in that time frame

Last edited:

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
My brothers 7.3 dually has 180K+ and pulls 6 horses to rodeos all over the rockies every weekend.
It's a dog but gets it done.
His 6.0 popped the heads at about 190K.

Buy the van and re-power when necessary.
Those things are awesome; a capable vw camper.

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I need to see if I can ranch up the $50k, but I think I can make it work.
Thinking next summer I am gonna pack up the house into storage, and just travel with the van and the bikes. Have a trailer perhaps and bring a 450 dirt bike and my Ducati.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
anything with over 120,000 miles is too many miles on my book.
its not only the pistons and rings that wear down on a car you know. i hate sloppy suspensions and rattles.

i try not to buy cars with no more than 30,000 miles on them, and usually sell them before they hit 50,000.
diesels tend to go juuust a bit longer then gasoline engines

They still beat the pants 47RE pieces of crap
the 46RE and 47RE are actually good transmissions is they are taken care of and with a little bit of work, they are great. hell, its just a modern 727 TorqueFlite

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
i know. i make a living working at service/technical for toyota.
thing is, the engine isnt the only thing to worry about. even if you have an engine that lasts 600k miles (which there are, such as the Hino JC8).

i apply the same rule to diesel/gasoline and I steer away from not-factory installed LPG/nat gas engines. by the time you are at 150k-200k miles, even if the engine is only 4% off factory compression, your transmission is likely to need an overhaul and the suspension bushings, tie rods, steering rack, steering pump, a/c, differential, hell even the seats, steering wheel and seatbelts!!! stuff for NVH control are likely close to overhaul/replacement. granted, some of them are cheap to replace.... but its just less of a hassle to just buy a car, for which you only change the oil and filters for a couple years, and then re-sell.....

the engine is just one of many things that wear down in a car.

Last edited:

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
the 46RE and 47RE are actually good transmissions is they are taken care of and with a little bit of work, they are great. hell, its just a modern 727 TorqueFlite
They are cool if you have sun-coast rebuild them. I've also heard of torque converter issues with them. The NV4500's and what ever ford uses for their auto's is supposed to be allot better

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
the engine is just one of many things that wear down in a car.
All good points but ones that don't necessarily apply to HD trucks.
My 5yo duramax chevy just turned 100K and has needed very little work beyond fluids/filters, brake pads etc despite living a hard life as a work truck.
A couple of glow plugs, the drivers side front hub just shat the bed, a blown bilstein (non OE) shock are all it has needed.

I killed a 1/2 ton in under 3 years using it for the same purpose.

The current truck still drives like new and, assuming rust doesn't become an issue (I live in the Northeast, right on the atlantic coast) I expect to keep this at least another 5 years/100K before considering another truck. Most likely I'll just repower when the times comes.

Last edited:

gonefirefightin

free wieners
All good points but ones that don't necessarily apply to HD trucks.
My 5yo duramax chevy just turned 100K and has needed very little work beyond fluids/filters, brake pads etc despite living a hard life as a work truck.
A couple of glow plugs, the drivers side front hub just shat the bed, a blown bilstein (non OE) shock are all it has needed.

I killed a 1/2 ton in under 3 years using it for the same purpose.

The current truck still drives like new and, assuming rust doesn't become an issue (I live in the Northeast, right on the atlantic coast) I expect to keep this at least another 5 years/100K before considering another truck. Most likely I'll just repower when the times comes.
In 2003 I went through 3 duramax diesels. not one of them made it past the 60k mark. I will never look at a chevy diesel again

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
If a war broke out and lets just say Canada Invaded. And lets also say they had some surface to surface missles mounted to a 74 International Scout Pickup and they were defending the beer store from our bold and brazen invasion force equipped with Chevy duramax diesel trucks. Wouldn't diesel trucks be less likely to incinerate its occupants as compared to a Gasoline fueled truck in say a missile strike? No worries Canada we are still in the planning stages. But we are watching you.....

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
How well does the Ford 6.0 plant hold up?

I want this:
E350 4x4
But I need a good argument to talk the little lady into this. Help me out here. She thinks it looks like a "child molester van outfitted to dump the kids in a remote location." I think I could send it out, get the seats ripped out, get it outfitted to sleep in the middle, and fold up to haul four bikes in a rack out the back. I'd also like to be able to put the motorcycle in the back for track weekends.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
How well does the Ford 6.0 plant hold up?

I want this:
E350 4x4
But I need a good argument to talk the little lady into this. Help me out here. She thinks it looks like a "child molester van outfitted to dump the kids in a remote location." I think I could send it out, get the seats ripped out, get it outfitted to sleep in the middle, and fold up to haul four bikes in a rack out the back. I'd also like to be able to put the motorcycle in the back for track weekends.
I have allready looked at that....its right down the road.

looks good on film but haggard underneath. it has been flogged big time. now selling it due to warranty issues with the 6.0

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I have allready looked at that....its right down the road.

looks good on film but haggard underneath. it has been flogged big time. now selling it due to warranty issues with the 6.0

I sort of suspected that was the case with the low sell price.
Is Ford still making a diesel in the E350? I looked online and could only find gas, which I don't want.

By the way, you get my text?

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
is it a 6.0 liter? I am assuming its an auto since not too many manuals were made
6 liter was introduced in early/mid 2003. Should be a 7.3 liter.

I have a 2000 7.3 liter with 211k on it right now. Got 20 mpg round trip over the weekend camping/mountain biking. In the last 30k miles i have bought 2 batteries, and done about $450 worth of oil changes/fuel filters. Other than that I have had pretty good luck. Starts good in the winter, plugged in helps, but not necessary with strong batteries.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI

1. He was speaking of the suspension, the same stuff that wears out on a gas or a diesel, and some would argue faster on a diesel since it is heavier.

I was considering just the engine in my other post, from a chassis perspective my truck is ready for tie rods, shocks, and sway bar end links.

I also replaced all the fluids (not cheap when you put 4 quarts of synthetic in the rear axle alone), a locked caliper (not too uncommon on the superduties), and the front driveshaft (got ****ed by the local monkey machine shop).

My truck also had a new transmission at 150k. Current trans seems nice and strong, but you never know when an auto will randomly decide to **** the bed.

2. I just lost all faith in you. :(

Last edited:

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
In 2003 I went through 3 duramax diesels. not one of them made it past the 60k mark. I will never look at a chevy diesel again
I recall you saying that.
Everyone has horror stories with different brands.
Those 03 LLYs were prone to overheating when pulling really heavy but the only people I know with major dmax problems were running ****ty tunes on them.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
The 7.3 my 2000 F350 had was awesome. The rest of the truck was awful, but the engine/drivetrain was great. The F@rd dealer in Medford had a oil change special for $50, so it worked out well. The 7.3 also ran excellent on B99 with no mods.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
auto?

i thought they were manual?
nv4500 is a manual, a 5 speed.

The 7.3 my 2000 F350 had was awesome. The rest of the truck was awful, but the engine/drivetrain was great. The F@rd dealer in Medford had a oil change special for $50, so it worked out well. The 7.3 also ran excellent on B99 with no mods.
I recall you saying this in the past. I figure my truck is what it is, but it has a super comfy interior (although the dash looks and feels cheap, it works, I don't have any complaints), a decent ride for being a 1 ton truck with straight axles and leaf springs (crew cab long bed probably helps with this), my door locks don't work, but neither do any other 2000 ish ford products.

what other problems did you have with it?

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
There was an electrical short under the dash from rubbing that popped the fuse for my tail lights. I chased it for weeks before paying the dealer $600ish to chase it and fix. It was the factory harness routed the factory way and wore through rubbing against a metal bracket under the dash.

I had manual windows/locks (another reason I bought it), so that wasn't an issue. But the little tabs holding the dash mounted switches all broke, I shoe goo'ed them in place. The universal switch in the column shorted, but I got one half off at pick and pull.

The rest of the issues I associate with the previous owner. But the interior was horrible, cheap, plastic, just bad. Not a single issue with the engine and once I got the brakes and suspension rebuilt, it was solid.

The pre-99 F@rds are even worse, ugly inside and out. At least my truck looked good from the outside. :rofl:

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
There was an electrical short under the dash from rubbing that popped the fuse for my tail lights. I chased it for weeks before paying the dealer $600ish to chase it and fix. It was the factory harness routed the factory way and wore through rubbing against a metal bracket under the dash.

I had manual windows/locks (another reason I bought it), so that wasn't an issue. But the little tabs holding the dash mounted switches all broke, I shoe goo'ed them in place. The universal switch in the column shorted, but I got one half off at pick and pull.

The rest of the issues I associate with the previous owner. But the interior was horrible, cheap, plastic, just bad. Not a single issue with the engine and once I got the brakes and suspension rebuilt, it was solid.

The pre-99 F@rds are even worse, ugly inside and out. At least my truck looked good from the outside. :rofl:
Fair enough, I forgot that my damn gas pedal stopped working, that was a $200 repair. Stupid drive by wire sensitive sensors placed where my dusty dirty muddy wet snowy boots are kicking junk all over it all the time.

I've also heard it's common for the overdrive switch on the gear selector to short out and cause some issues.

I guess they have minor issues, but overall it's been a pretty reliable truck for me.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I would buy another for sure, I just know what to look for now.

It's kind of odd that I bought my 2000 in '09 for less than $10k with 130k miles. Last weekend I looked at a '99 with 200k and they wanted $14k. They said "good luck finding a clean 7.3 for less than $10k"

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
that good luck finding a clean 7.3 crap annoys me.

My truck has a few dents, and in micchigan they all have rusty wheel wells (i think mine is rusty under the ugly ass bedliner someone sprayed on the lower part of my truck)

My buddy paid like 15k for one with 60,000 miles on it, it's a barn find, super nice truck, he has just as many small problems with his as I have had with mine, his just looks nicer. In fact, I'd rather have mine, it feels more powerful, and I get better mileage.

I have mine listed at 10k with 211k on it. If someone wants it I'd sell it, but for the ridiculous prices some people ask for these things I can't see just giving mine a way because it has a dent or two.