Quantcast

difference between 02 and 04 dh-9?

Threepointtwo

Monkey
Jun 21, 2002
SLC, UT
I had one of each and they are the same (except for the shock as you mentioned). That is a very cool find. It even comes with the RR 20 m hub.

DHracer1067

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2003
somewhere really ****ty
Isn't the Razor Rock just a rebadged hadley hub. I thought I read that somewhere on here a long time ago. As long as the dhx will fit on it I'll probably get one. I didnt really like the swinger 4 way on my other one that much. Didn't feel quite active enough.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Great frame! If it was a small I would be bidding against you. I had a medium once and t was a bit big for me. (I'm only 5'6" though) Nice find!

Threepointtwo

Monkey
Jun 21, 2002
SLC, UT
The DHX may or may not fit. They started controlling the clearance for the shock reservoir in 2004. I mounted a 5th on my '03 and it just barely cleared but I saw others that it would not clear on. It does not depend on the size of the bike necessarily but kind of a random thing. If putting a different shock on it is a deal breaker, you might want to be careful. On the other hand, the Push option is a good one.

DHracer1067

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2003
somewhere really ****ty
It should definately be able to fit the 4 way though shouldn't it. I would rather have the dhx but im fine with a 4 way. I still really liked mine with it, I just thought it coulda been better with something else without spv.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
around here we've seen maniterd shocks and forks blow out on a regular and frequent basis. and their turnaround time to finally just send you a replacement take 6-7 weeks. totally unacceptable. the d.h.x. fits the large d.h.9 frame without any problems, and has a much better pro pedal platform and bottom out control than the swinger. over the yrs. any time i've sent something back to fox,(which has always just been to freshen a product up, never yet to have warranty work performed.) their turnaround time has been alot more "customer friendly" than manitou's. i noticed a huge difference in the d.h.9s pedal response and hard landing performance with the fox.

def

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
knoxville, tn
DHracer1067 said:
Well I had an 04 dh-9 a while back and it got stolen so i have been looking at new bikes to get and I found this brand new 02 dh-9. (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7201658810&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1) So I was just wandering if there were any major differences between the years besides the shock that it came stock with.

Were you the dude racing at windrock a few years back w/ a flowmaster sticker on a red big hit? If you were, isn't a med going to be huge on you? Unless your a lot taller now. They are big bikes. Doug's (Profro) med fit me fine and I'm 6' on the nose. Its a cool frame, but the right sized frame is better.

J

JRB

Ciaran said:
Great frame! If it was a small I would be bidding against you. I had a medium once and t was a bit big for me. (I'm only 5'6" though) Nice find!
Holy smokes. SS's shorts would go past your knees, man.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
well i loved my pushed rc on my old dh9 wayy better than the stock rc, fox valved rc, progressive or manitou i tried on there due to the suspension deisgn and movement

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
dexter said:
well i loved my pushed rc on my old dh9 wayy better than the stock rc, fox valved rc, progressive or manitou i tried on there due to the suspension deisgn and movement
yeah i had a pushed rc on an old M1. felt great. i was just getting the word out that a lot of maniterd products are dying left and right around here and that their repair end of the buisness leaves a lot to be desired.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
dhbuilder said:
yeah i had a pushed rc on an old M1. felt great. i was just getting the word out that a lot of maniterd products are dying left and right around here and that their repair end of the buisness leaves a lot to be desired.
Pretty jaded aren't you?

Your one bad experience is mirrored by plenty of great Manitou experiences. :nopity:

I've had the same Swinger on my DH9 for 2 years with no complaint, but I don't really ride all that much. :cool: However I did ride today. The mud and rain were fun!

DHracer1067

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2003
somewhere really ****ty
d.e.f. said:
Were you the dude racing at windrock a few years back w/ a flowmaster sticker on a red big hit? If you were, isn't a med going to be huge on you? Unless your a lot taller now. They are big bikes. Doug's (Profro) med fit me fine and I'm 6' on the nose. Its a cool frame, but the right sized frame is better.
Ya that was me. Im like 5' 7" now. My last one was a medium and it fit good.

Daver

Monkey
Jun 1, 2005
Shiddeny
What? Small is the perfect size for anyone less than 6 foot 2. Medium DH9s are huge- I (at 6 foot 2) could barely ride one. The Razor Rock hubs are good, but they need a special tool for bearing removal, and they're also loud. Very loud. No more stealth rides.

Finally, the shock- I had a Swinger 4 way on mine originally and it was fine, however the DHX needed the boost valve adjuster moved so it would clear the frame. The DHX is an amazing shock on the DH9 though.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Not necessarily. I'm 6'1" and I loved my medium. Its a different style, long and low. The small was too small for my style, but its borderline. However I always thought that DHracer1067's medium was too big for him. I think he could even ride a XS.

While some don't like platform style shocks, I certainly do. I love how they don't squat too much under braking or in corners. The downside is the lack of small bump plushness. My Swinger was made considerably better in small bump performance with a Ti spring upgrade.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
profro said:
Pretty jaded aren't you?

Your one bad experience is mirrored by plenty of great Manitou experiences. :nopity:

I've had the same Swinger on my DH9 for 2 years with no complaint, but I don't really ride all that much. :cool: However I did ride today. The mud and rain were fun!
dude, look at all the people who've blown them out and had to wait forever me, brian, ben - twice, terry, mark z. even you. and the fox is very plush upon intial stroke.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Mine blew up becasue it was rebuilt improperly. The Manitou techs rushed to get it bebuilt right before my race and its been great since. I was without a shock for 30 mins. However, I guess I won't tell you about all the Foxs I've seen with the shafts pulled out. :blah: Dang I guess I just did. :rolleyes:

Manitou service has been stellar whenever I need it. You expected them to turn around your shock on your time schedule regardless of the service load they already had and when they didn't they turned into Maniterd as you say.

JeffD

Monkey
Mar 23, 2002
Macon, GA
Brady's DHX shaft pulled out at WR sometime this summer. I was at his house fuggling with my bike the following week and he started knocking my Avy in typical Brady "my shiz is better than yours" fashion. I let him blew his load before reminding him that YOUR SHOCK BLEW ON YOUR SECOND RIDE AND AS YOUR JAW IS JACKING, IT'S SITTING ON A FOX TECH'S WORKBENCH RIGHT NOW!!!! Classic.

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
dhbuilder said:
I haven't had a problem with any of my manitou products. I sent in a fork and it was back within a week. Return time depends on how busy they are and how you ship it. If you ship any company a product for warranty work and send it ground 10-day they will send it back ground 10-day. It will also take a lot longer if you don't get an RA number.

I really like the way all of their products ride as well and quality is top notch. They have also been pretty helpful when I have emailed them.