Quantcast

"Different" fork for Sam?

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
He is still on Boxxers, but Rock Shox are veering away from air and going to a 38mm stanchion with ti internals. Nothing horrific really.

Let the e-speculations begin!

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
I'm not sure how you can tell that from that picture, but that was taken at Sea Otter, and I'm pretty sure Monster / I.H. hadn't taken delivery on his new BlackBox Boxxer yet.

I think he's supposed to get it in time for Maribor WC#1, but I could be wrong.

Yep - the new Boxxers are moving to bigger stanchions - if you want to catch a glimpse of them you can see Peaty with a set on his V-10 in the latest issue of DIRTmag.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Don't have all the info on the new Blackbox Boxxer yet, BUT - I was just thinking - since RS already makes the stanchions of their FR and DH forks in the 32mm, 35mm and 40mm sizes and since they are definitely going to a larger size for the next generation of Boxxers, I think 35mm or 40mm stanchions would make more sense than 38mm.

From an economic standpoint, since RS already has the general framework (internals, lowers, etc) to support this stanchion size it would seem more likely for them to go with what they already have (to keep costs down) then to create an entirely new size for the stanchions (38mm).

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
I'd like to see them space the stanchions out a touch, steering radius is a bit tight yet, ESPECIALLY considering that I just came off a single crown. I'm sure I'll re-adapt in time, but I keep catching myself in tight turns going too slow to hit the rear rudder and wondering why I'm not turning!

Apr 16, 2006
Golden, CO
I hope the 38mm version with ti spring is lighter than the current team/race. If not I have absolutely no problem with the current model, unless they unviel some feature where you never need to rebuild them or something worth buying other than the fact that its new and sam hill gets hooked up with it.

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Pacific Beach, San Diego, CA
And, more to the point, go and drop each fork on a rock and observe how easily the 40 splits open like cheap condom...
i've actually seen more boxxer lowers blow apart and leak all over than i have fox forks.....that's beside the point though.....any magnesium lower will fail when bashed on rocks if it's built thin enough to keep the weight competitive.....i'll take the one that is twice as large, twice as stiff, and about the same weight.....

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
any magnesium lower will fail when bashed on rocks if it's built thin enough to keep the weight competitive.....i'll take the one that is twice as large, twice as stiff, and about the same weight.....
Define "competitive". I'll gladly carry an extra 1/4lb in weight if it means my lowers are more resistant to puncturing. I've torn a hole n the side of a set of Boxxers, but seen WAY more 40s and, more recently, Totems with punctured and dented lowers.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
i've actually seen more boxxer lowers blow apart and leak all over than i have fox forks.....that's beside the point though.....any magnesium lower will fail when bashed on rocks if it's built thin enough to keep the weight competitive.....i'll take the one that is twice as large, twice as stiff, and about the same weight.....
No freakin way...

There are a zillion boxxers over here and I've seen just a few with problems. But I've seen so many ****ed 40s it's unbelievable. Those lowers are too freakin thin

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
When they increase the tube's diameter they always decrease it's thickness cuz the material isn't needed for stiffness. The ability to resist denting however seems to point to a happy medium between big and thin and small and thick. After getting my new 888 I'd say 38mm is that happy medium.

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
If they drop solo air and go the way of coil, then I'm buying backstock now. Coil feels like such turd.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
i've only seen two punctured Boxxers and nothing else,but in the Boxxers defence,there is a lot more of them over here. Go 888 if you want reliability I guess.

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Pacific Beach, San Diego, CA
Define "competitive". I'll gladly carry an extra 1/4lb in weight if it means my lowers are more resistant to puncturing. I've torn a hole n the side of a set of Boxxers, but seen WAY more 40s and, more recently, Totems with punctured and dented lowers.
6.2 (boxxer wc) vs 6.8(rc2)

.6 lbs isn't that bad considering how much stiffer, and tuneable the fork is......as it stands my bike is just under 39 pounds with some burly stuff on it.....i haven't really skimped anywhere.....i could get it down to a reasonable 37.5......once you try to get your bike much lighter than that, chances are, you need to be out riding more and geeking out on bikes less.....

all in all, i think a 36 or 38mm stanchioned fork with a more reinforced lower would be the way to go......(cough cough...BOS.....)

ridenorcal

Chimp
Apr 28, 2008
Gnar-Cal
I'm interested to see what the new weights gonna look like on this fork. With such a high demand for lightweight dh parts these days I can't imagine it will be much heavier, if at all. Hmm what could RockShox have up their sleeve...

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
With such a high demand for lightweight dh parts these days I can't imagine it will be much heavier, if at all.
Marzocchi didn't care and made their 888 heavier, so RS maybe follows that "light heavyweight" trend. They did it with the SID and Reba too :imstupid: