Quantcast

direct mount stem for boxxer

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
narlus said:
what will e13 have in design that's different from the others? and are these for regular and/or oversized bars?
they will have one for standard and one for oversize bars.

I also beleive one will be adjustable from 45 to 55 and another that is from 55 to 65, but not 100% sure.

The E13 direct mount will not look like a standard stem (like SIC) but more like the one on the Dorado.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Lucs got it 100%

The e.thirteen bolt-on stem is called the ALI Bolt on. The stem weighs a ridiculoulsy light 155 grames, including all M6 hardware. The ALI is built from anodized 7075 T6.

There are 4 models, 45-55 adjustable, and 55-65 adjustable, in both 25.4 and 31.8 sizes. We will most likely do a 28.6 version too. The stems were supposed to be in stock this week, and I believe they will be ready to ship starting around December 6.

Later!

Dave

Attachments

jon-boy

Monkey
May 26, 2004
Vancouver BC
Race Face had a prototype Diabolus direct mount stem that I saw a photo of somewhere. However now I've seen the e-13 'stem' I'm going to be waiting to get one of those. Nice thinking outside the box.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
dw said:
Lucs got it 100%

The e.thirteen bolt-on stem is called the ALI Bolt on. The stem weighs a ridiculoulsy light 155 grames, including all M6 hardware. The ALI is built from anodized 7075 T6.

There are 4 models, 45-55 adjustable, and 55-65 adjustable, in both 25.4 and 31.8 sizes. We will most likely do a 28.6 version too. The stems were supposed to be in stock this week, and I believe they will be ready to ship starting around December 6.

Later!

Dave

Dave

Those look sweet. It looks like the design is optimized to minumize any extra material.

Will there be riser plates avaliable? The Boxxer crown is threaded, correct? So it would mean simply longer bolts and some spacers.

I purchaced a Romic crown since I was twisting my stem too ofter during race situations. The problem was that with my bike I had to run zero spacers under the crown in order to get the crown low enough to get the head tube angle where I like it. With the direct mount stem, this result in my bars be lower than I like. I realize that every fast ausy rider has low bars. However, from riding moto I do not prefer it.

Thanks

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
ChrisKring said:
Dave

Those look sweet. It looks like the design is optimized to minumize any extra material.

Will there be riser plates avaliable? The Boxxer crown is threaded, correct? So it would mean simply longer bolts and some spacers.

I purchaced a Romic crown since I was twisting my stem too ofter during race situations. The problem was that with my bike I had to run zero spacers under the crown in order to get the crown low enough to get the head tube angle where I like it. With the direct mount stem, this result in my bars be lower than I like. I realize that every fast ausy rider has low bars. However, from riding moto I do not prefer it.

Thanks
Thanks guys, Im glad you like them. The Boxxer crown is threaded, so if you wanted to raise up the setem it would be pretty easy to build some spacer plates and use longer bolts. We tested the stems all summer (we had them on the bikes at Sea Otter), and most riders preferred shorter rise bars with the stems on the 8" front fork. With a 2" rise bar and an 8" fork, the front end is up there! I settled on 1" ride with the 8" fork personally. I used to have a Romic crown on my bike too, and I ran 2" rise bars on that with a 7" Boxxer.

Later!

Dave

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
dw said:
Thanks guys, Im glad you like them. The Boxxer crown is threaded, so if you wanted to raise up the setem it would be pretty easy to build some spacer plates and use longer bolts. We tested the stems all summer (we had them on the bikes at Sea Otter), and most riders preferred shorter rise bars with the stems on the 8" front fork. With a 2" rise bar and an 8" fork, the front end is up there! I settled on 1" ride with the 8" fork personally. I used to have a Romic crown on my bike too, and I ran 2" rise bars on that with a 7" Boxxer.

Later!

Dave

Great. The reason I had problems was that I was running a 7" travel boxxer on my VP Free. The frame was designed for a 67 degree head tube with an 8" travel fork. With the 7" boxxer (2.7/2.5 tire combo) the actual head tube angle was 67.5 degrees. This was with 7.25" of stantion below the crown. The bike railed corners but I was getting hung up in steep rocks. I changed the head tube angle to 66 degrees by taking spacers out from under the crown and sliding the stantions down to have about 7.75" of stantion exposed. This made the bike handle much better for the courses/trails I was riding toward the end of the year.

I was running Easton carbon DH bars. They only have a 1.25" rise.

With the 8" boxxer that I will have for next year, this situation should not be a problem.

BTW: once again, awesome customer support Dave.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
no worries, thanks for yr help anyway.

acadian, i just got back from the shop and saw the '05 boxxer WC fork. it came in today or yesterday. :drool: that is one sick fork. wicked light, too. unfortunately, the flat crown that i had to order isn't a direct mount one, so i gotta get that swapped, but the e13 direct-mount stem won't be in for a few weeks either so no biggie.

my wife's bike is *way* more pimptastic than mine now. :think:

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
narlus said:
acadian, i just got back from the shop and saw the '05 boxxer WC fork. it came in today or yesterday. :drool:
is that your fork? or just one that the shop ordered for the showroom floor?

I can't stop looking at mine when I'm home!!! :drool: hope it's performs as good as it looks! :think:

Tom DH

Monkey
Apr 24, 2003
UK
If I wanted to fit a direct stem onto an older boxxer, do you know is the Romic crown has the same spacing/drilling for the new standard boxxer crown?

That E-13 stem looks really nice any ideas on price yet?

Thanks
Tom

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Acadian said:
is that your fork? or just one that the shop ordered for the showroom floor?

I can't stop looking at mine when I'm home!!! :drool: hope it's performs as good as it looks! :think:
it's mine. well, hil's. yeah, i hope it works well, but i have a feeling it will. :D

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
dw said:
Lucs got it 100%

Later!

Dave
Damn, the new 05 Boxxers are looking better and better every day. With this new stem coming it may be time trade in the Marzocchi. :sneaky:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Salami said:
Damn, the new 05 Boxxers are looking better and better every day. With this new stem coming it may be time trade in the Marzocchi. :sneaky:
Yeah, it only took RS 4 years to catch up and make an 8" fork with a direct mount stem. Not bad.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
One of these days, you e13 guys will do something that won't be cool, wont' work better then everything else on the market, won't be cost competitive, and won't be well designed.

I will be dead of old age, but it will happen.

Nice job boys, again i sit and marvel.

holliswood

Monkey
Mar 16, 2004
University Place
dw said:
Lucs got it 100%

Later!

Dave
Dave,
The line you guys have for 05' looks sick! I have decided to run the new boxxer on my Gemini for 05' and seeing the stem makes me solid on that choice! It will be a great combo!
Thanks for the help.
Kim Eakin

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
holliswood said:
Dave,
The line you guys have for 05' looks sick! I have decided to run the new boxxer on my Gemini for 05' and seeing the stem makes me solid on that choice! It will be a great combo!
Thanks for the help.
Kim Eakin
what no more Dorado? Word of caution, Boxxer feel like crap, blow seals and ride more poorly than other forks out there - just to make sure you're up to date! :rolleyes:

holliswood

Monkey
Mar 16, 2004
University Place
Acadian said:
what no more Dorado? Word of caution, Boxxer feel like crap, blow seals and ride more poorly than other forks out there - just to make sure you're up to date! :rolleyes:
GOD D&MN IT LUC! What do you mean? Tige ran the Boxxer all last year and had no problems with it and so did one of our other riders. I loved my Darado but it was time to move on.
And I thought you rode a Boxxer and loved it?
Are you stirring the pot frenchie? :nuts:

AlberTop

Monkey
Nov 30, 2004
South
I am using a SIC direct mount stem on my 2005 Boxxer. It's not super light but it is a lot better then a non-integrated stem.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
narlus said:
hey e13 guys, any news on when these will be available?

Guess not?

Any updates?? Of the options the e-13s look the best and lighter than the others. Im toying with the idea of makign a diorect mount crown and need a stem. Marzocchi DM stems are available now.... looking for other options.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
the info i heard is that the contractor making the stems went tits up during the production run, which obviously forced a delay. hopefully they will surface in the next few weeks, but don't take this as an e13 press release.

Polytics

Chimp
Mar 28, 2005
Vancouver, BC, Canadistan
oly said:
Guess not?

Any updates?? Of the options the e-13s look the best and lighter than the others. Im toying with the idea of makign a diorect mount crown and need a stem. Marzocchi DM stems are available now.... looking for other options.
Big problem with the Marzocchi models (and possibly some of the others?) is that you can't use spacers above the fork crown so you can't leave extra some extra length to vary stem height (and for resale of your fork).

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
Polytics said:
Big problem with the Marzocchi models (and possibly some of the others?) is that you can't use spacers above the fork crown so you can't leave extra some extra length to vary stem height (and for resale of your fork).

You can leave the steerer what ever length you want if you are using the factory Marz. direct mount stems.