Quantcast

Dirt Bmx bike too heavy???

Misled User

Chimp
Jun 14, 2007
Hey guys im new here so i thought id post a few times...looks like a perty cool forum to me...so anyway i was just curious cuz i have been riding for about 3 years BMX but only seriously for about a year. So i got this new Trek TR30 model about 3 years ago and i was wondering your guys' opinions on the bike. I noticed that everyone else's bike is way lighter and i can get way more air with their's off these ramps in the forest. Here is a pic of my model.

http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/2004_freestyle_dirt_jumper/product_123472.shtml

Now im weaker than most of u prolly cuz im 13 and only way 100 lbs. But i was wondering if there was anyway i could make it lighter or should i stick with it and just get stronger...thanks for all the replies if there are!
~Misled User

HBFR33R!D3

Monkey
Jun 5, 2007
huntington beach
im a small guy myself(about the same as you) and personally i think most bikes are gonna be heavy for you. I have the same problem and unless you buy the best bike on the market there are'nt going to be any changes you can make that will really take some pounds off. I would look into a new model bike because they obviously tend to be lighter than older models

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Yeah, you have to go pretty all out to get super light. Only the most expensive parts are really light. My bike cost well over 1k, but it's also 22 pounds.

grom-dom

Turbo Monkey
Jun 27, 2006
Chapel Thrill
i'd update, bikes are lighter, cheaper and better now. hoffman, soul, dk, volume, the 08 kinks look solid for completes. those are off the top of my head check dans comp, albes etc fore more optins, ask for opinions, read ride bmx, bmx plus, uk mags rock, bmx forums etc

scott

Chimp
Apr 18, 2007
Radford, VA
if you have the cash...you could always get a newer complete...most of them are lighter. but if you're on a tight budget there's a few things you could do to that bike to make it lighter. cut seatpost down, cut bars down, etc... light bikes do make things easier, but a lot of it's all about technique.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Fly 3amigos.

I'm gonna probably get an S&M LTF when it comes out: 3.8 pound frame.

I dropped 6 ounces from when you rode it with a new seat/post.

DCRAC3R

Chimp
Nov 7, 2004
Washington STATE
Oh an old trek that is kinda a rare find nowadays, but I would say upgrade as much as you can, materials have upgraded a lot in the last couple years, so parts are now lighter and stronger than most of the parts from years ago. But they answer to your Q. I would say go lighter or get a new frame, You might get stronger having a heavy bike but light bikes handle WAY better in the air.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
ive got one for salee
pm me.

its the exact same as his...
You like the Hawk I take it? If I ever sell my bike it's gonna be a new Hawk, a Tierra, or an LTF.

Standard125, that's a race bike I assume? If not that's insane.

standard125r

Chimp
Dec 7, 2006
its not finished yet, ti bars and eject/ti spoke front wheel,ti elementary bolt,maybe a stump post,
not an everyday bike like, just an oddball, i'm riding it till my custom s&m arrives,

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Ah, that bike from Bikeguide. I hate you. I would do anything for that setup. The crazy thing is it could be lighter. I would ride it in a second.

How do you like the feel of Ti? The only ti bike I've ridden, a Ti Bontrager MTB, was incredibly supple.

When you sell that bike please PM me first if it's a 21". I would seriously consider it if it's in as-new condition.

Paulyd

Monkey
May 15, 2007
Great White North.
u can make it easier for yourself by buying a frame/bike with a short TT. i dont know if that will help with the weight, but i'm pretty sure it will help with bunny hops i believe. ohh, and manuals and wheelies.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
u can make it easier for yourself by buying a frame/bike with a short TT. i dont know if that will help with the weight, but i'm pretty sure it will help with bunny hops i believe. ohh, and manuals and wheelies.
Good thinking.