Quantcast

dirt cheap Mobsters (not spam)

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Derrin Stockton designed that tire to excel on one trail....Tunnel
No joke.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
i was checking out the comments on the jenson page, and couldnt stop wondering what sort of tire the people who were commenting on the mobsters low rolling resistance were using before...

ViciousDHer

eBay vigilante
Oct 30, 2003
holy crap 10 bucks for a 2.7 Maxxis 42a !!!

too bad I got a basement full, that I've won over the years and will never use. and now never be able to sell :(

BC VAN

Monkey
May 4, 2005
These tires are the same tread pattern as a Michelin tire I think Nico developed?, we used it from about 95/96 not sure of the name or when they discontinued it? But we called it the "batwing” the center bar knobby with the slit down the middle is actually a cut we used to make on the tire to clear mud...The tire in stock from had a solid center knobby.
The tire was used by a lot of riders and D Stock just went with that pattern I believe as it was successful at the world cup level.

Little history tid bit.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

This one? I wish there was still a few of these things kicking around somewhere.
So why are the braking edges arranged so that when run to use them as braking edges.....(tire rolling towards you in that pic)......the side knobs are open on the leading edge....a great wash out scenario.

I've always been entertainded by michelin's direction arrow running contrary to what direction you'd think the tire would (and usually does) perform better in.

That tire looks like a center and sideknob conflict.

DIRTWRKS

Monkey
Aug 13, 2003
Canada EH !
Wow....awesome deal.

Two things about Maxxis tires:
1. any of the DH models stick to anything.
2. they never flat......ever (unless threads are showing)
Yes Maxxis great tires, but I am sorry to say that the Mobster was not one of their better ideas. Move on to something else like the Minion or High Roller

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA

This one? I wish there was still a few of these things kicking around somewhere.
I have a few in my basement still. I ran them a little as rears this fall. That old casing is HEAVY. I was running the center knob cut in half and shaved down, Ritchey Semi-slick style. The old Wildgripper sideknobs seem to just have too much lateral slip off the crown of the tire to the sideknob. What rims were you guys running these with EC, Mavic 121's? They are just so round on the 521's