Quantcast

Dirt jump acoustics

AgentOrange

Chimp
Jun 1, 2003
Sofia, Bulgaria
Anybody notice how weird your voice sounds when you stand right in front of a jump? There's a sort of a sweet spot where you have to put your head and it's like it echoes back through a sound effects machine and a million speakers, awesome! I noticed that if I speak loud enough I get dizzy as my brain can't figure out where the sound's coming from, it's kinda trippy. The funny thing is that it seems crap ass blown out jumps not only ride bad but also sound much worse than perfectly shaped takeoffs.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Nah dude I know what he's talking about. I've experience a similar occurence in pools with bowled corners that are greater than 90°. But its an acoustic dead spot for ambient noise from the pools surroundings.

Dirty Maestro

Monkey
Jul 11, 2008
When i first heard the reverb. I thought my buds were laced =)

But yea, especially if you build pits you can hear it.

:cool:

sixgun_sound

Monkey
Sep 24, 2007
Yakima, WA
I used to work at a video production studio that had a huge cyc wall, which is where the floor and the walls curve into eachother instead of having a corner. If you stood where the two walls met, and the floor curves up into it, same thing, but like... 3D.

AgentOrange

Chimp
Jun 1, 2003
Sofia, Bulgaria
Guys it's real, i **** you not. Weed is unrelated. Although it might be entertaining to try now that i know how and where it happens... I wouldn't even need a bike to have fun at the dirt jumps, lol! But i have to admit, when i first heard it i thought that's it, my brain is officialy f*cked now...

sealclubber

Monkey
Nov 21, 2007
i havent had it happen at the jumps but theres this concrete half circle bench on campus that echos back to you when you stand where all the cracks converge at the center of the circle