Quantcast

Dirt Jump Mayhem

May 3, 2004
Sanna Croooz
Well, I finally got some pictures of the Dirt Jump at my house being put to good use.

Here are a couple pictures of the local crew, S.C.U.M.B. (Santa Cruz Uber Mountain Bikers) doing what they do best.

...Strike that, this is what they do second best, what they do best is get drunk later on in the day and get belligerent.

Attachments

May 3, 2004
Sanna Croooz
It's too bad I chopped off Bikeninja's head in the one where he's whipping. Stupid camera was too small to hold.

He was going to wear my blueblocker sunglasses to make it "extra" cool for the pix, but the combination of Seagrams Seven, dirt jumping, and I guess-the lack of blue light? he decided against it.

"There's no f*cking way I can jump with these glasses on."

May 3, 2004
Sanna Croooz
dirtjumpP.1 said:
cool pics.... nice jumps....
btw, why the carpet, your not a bmx rider, you ride a mt. bike for god sake.
The carpet keeps the jumps shaped nice, it has nothing to do with traction.
BTW, that's not me, I'm not in the Dirt Jump Crew, I am a p*ssy.

May 3, 2004
Sanna Croooz
El Santo said:
That's probably for the best. I'll pretend that he was wearing a helmet in that one.

I hope he likes applesauce.
Agreed, but like, it's SOOO not vogue. He actually did crash later on when the ratio of alcohol-to-dirtjump coordination was too high. He hit his head a little bit and decided it was time to stop.

bikeninja

Chimp
Mar 1, 2004
Santa Cruz
I have a cut on my forehead from that one. i pretty much always wear a helmet but that jump is in the front yard and i'm not greg watts and i don't backflip no hander so i didn't think it too necessary. actually, i don't think that he'd crash doing one of those anyway...

and why not the carpet? who doesnt' like carpet?

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Nice! Don't feel bad Paul I too am not man enough for that sweet jump. If it makes you guys feel better Schley was eyeballing your jump yesterday. We were driving up to shoot on DC and he was like, "ooh! What's that all about?"

bikeninja

Chimp
Mar 1, 2004
Santa Cruz
punkassean said:
If it makes you guys feel better Schley was eyeballing your jump yesterday. We were driving up to shoot on DC and he was like, "ooh! What's that all about?"
do you mean to tell us that you are filming withThe Princess Schleya on Campers? the man that told Bike magazine, "I don't get enough props." anybody that says something like that definitely doesn't deserve any 'props'
and if it is some other Schley then disregard previous statement as being totally off subject.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
To be honest I can feel Richey on that comment, he works hard to be where he is and a lot of people seem to think of him as kinda washed or something. After witnessing his skills up close and personal yesteday I can tell you he is far from washed and totally nice to boot. He was pulling clean x-ups and suicides off of the drop off campers and getting stupid flat (inverted) off the awkward sort-of step-up jump that comes out of the berm on his hardtail. I wasn't shooting video BTW, just assisting with stills.

I really don't think he's worried about what people think anymore anyway. Either way he gave you props on your jump, in fact we almost pulled over to see if he could play on it...

beaverbiker

Monkey
Feb 5, 2003
Santa Clara
he's probably not washed up, but there are sooooooooooo many guys out there that are better than him (aka have style). they get all the props and he doesn't, that's how it goes.

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
IMO, Schley is only still around because he was here from the beginning. Same goes for Wade, anyone with their skills nowadays wouldn't be icons like they are.

I see that jump every time I get a ride up to twin gates. When are you going to build more?

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
I agree with that and also the older guys are typically better at marketing themselves so that helps them stick around.

bikeninja

Chimp
Mar 1, 2004
Santa Cruz
black noise said:
I see that jump every time I get a ride up to twin gates. When are you going to build more?
that whole property is getting torn down and condos are going up in about a month so we're kind of over it. sucks because we had dreams and aspirations for a one hundred pack of hips, transfers, berms and all types of shizz. it sucks having to drive to taco bell to get real trails. actually it's not that far but it would be nice to have cool jumps on the westside.

May 3, 2004
Sanna Croooz
bikeninja said:
that whole property is getting torn down and condos are going up in about a month so we're kind of over it. sucks because we had dreams and aspirations for a one hundred pack of hips, transfers, berms and all types of shizz. it sucks having to drive to taco bell to get real trails. actually it's not that far but it would be nice to have cool jumps on the westside.
It was once a place to hang out, were all the cool kids were and you could talk to a hot girl at a party for 2 hours simple on the basis that you lived there (and probably get some). We would throw massive parties with our 300 closest friends, live music and a bunch of fun people.

Now it's been reduced to a hippy drum circle and some 50 gallon steel barrels of trash. Although they still have the 300 person partays, and live music, but now somehow it's lost it's lustre. I guess it's a different crowd now.

I tell you, it breaks my heart to see this place go, it really does. SO close to the trails and such a cool vibe before the hippies trashed the place.

*SNIFF* Good bye The BARN...we hardly knew ye. :dead:

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
God damn hippy drum circles! You need to blast some SLAYER and get rid of those smelly sumbitch hippies! :D

Really though that location is prime time, it's sad to see it go. Bummer....

May 3, 2004
Sanna Croooz
punkassean said:
God damn hippy drum circles! You need to blast some SLAYER and get rid of those smelly sumbitch hippies! :D

Really though that location is prime time, it's sad to see it go. Bummer....
It is truely the saddest thing to see some cracker-white kid with dread-locks prancing around like some sort of moron listening to slayer. I don't know how but I bet they have become immune to SLAYER. This is a new breed, they listen to rap, rock, country, everything.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
El_Chimichanga said:
...This is a new breed, they listen to rap, rock, country, everything.
Ah, they must be "college know-it-all hippies" those are the peskiest type, very hard to eradicate. I am truly sorry but I think you are doomed :(

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
even worse they could be trustafarians, known for their incredible wealth matched only by their unfathomable stingyness. GODDAMN HIPPIES!!!

trustafarian: Wanna-be hippy who sustains his "share-the-love" lifestyle with his phat bank account but won't even go so far as to match bowls or loan you a few bucks for a late night trip to jack in the box for some munchies.

bikeninja

Chimp
Mar 1, 2004
Santa Cruz
priceseliger14 said:
Is that chicken wire on the jumps also... I cant really tell but it sure looks like it.
no that's carpet with chicken wire print. very posh these days. and yes very sad to see the barn overrun by trustafarians and now being bulldozed. i'm crying on the inside.