Quantcast

Dirt Jumper reccommends? Looking to spend ~$900

ballaholyk84

Monkey
Aug 24, 2007
Beaverton, OR
Looking to possibly get a decent Hard tail dirt jumper and have about $900 to spend.

Any Suggestions?
Should I buy frame and build up?

Will be used around ton urban style with some parks and riding to and from work.

Thanks

duck

Monkey
Apr 8, 2007
Cranbrook BC
I would suggest looking into the Specialized P.series, Giant STPs, and maybe even the Norco hardtails if you're just getting into it.

There's also the Eastern 26 bikes and the Black Market 357.

Pick out some bikes at your price range, and go to your LBS and test some out.

duck

Monkey
Apr 8, 2007
Cranbrook BC
Banshee has a new hardtail comming out called the AMP, it's pretty rad, a guy I know helped design it. The Cannondale Chases are sweet aswell.

Brodie's lineup is cool too, they have some good specs on their higher end street hardtails.

Basically check everything out, and see what you like.

Sep 12, 2004
blk mkt always a good bang fork the buck and they will ship you out one by simply calling them up

and the banshee amp wont be ready for buying for a few weeks at least

bballboy388

Monkey
Dec 4, 2004
The p bikes are all good i ride one. But i personally think the new chase feels awesome, its easier to get up then the p bikes and feels more balanced while manueling.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Damn you woo. Making things hard for me haha. What one did you personally like a little better than the other?
I'm on a chromo p.1 frame now (switched just about everything parts wise) and I have yet to ride another frame I like as much. It's actually pretty similar to a large blackmarket frame.

The ONLY thing I didn't like about the chase I had was the rear end. Mine had vertical dropouts so I had to run a chain tensioner for SS and couldn't get a really short chainstay. My p.1 is slammed at about 15.75ish. I forget what my chase was but it was definitely longer.

But the chase frame is obviously lighter so could accelerate quicker when on the cranks.....something I kind of miss actually.

Both frames have a pretty low BB which I think adds HUGELY to how stable they feel at speed and in the air.

I just mentioned those two because they're from two big name makers that are in your budget and you can find them easily to take for a test ride around the parking lot.....and down some stairs......and up that jersey barrier across the street.....

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Right on I will keep that in mind. What about some other "Non Big Box Store" Bikes?
Black market, Felt, and eastern (the bmx company) are some others I've liked. Haven't ridden much else that blew me away but I also haven't ridden a bunch of the newer frames out there. I'd still go with the chase, one of the p bikes or maybe that black market complete that they're making now just because you get a rideable bike right away.

I'm not one of those chick pant wearing fashion queens that needs the hip brands though;) I'm totally cool with my cheapo dirtjump frame.