Quantcast

Dirt jumping a DH bike

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
How hard is DJing a DH bike? Is there any certain way to set up the rear shock so it does push you over the bars or is there a certain technigue? I can make the trannys but barely. If I really push it and hit the jump with a little more speed the shock wants to push me over the bars. I run an Avalanche. Ive messed with the rebound a little but what else? less preload? less compression?

I really noticed it at Whistler this last summer. I had no problems with A-Line except for the long table top near the end. BUT when I hit Crab Apple Hits the bike just wanted to nose over. It happens after a certain speed. Im new to DJing but my Fly is my only bike so I must learn. Help out a virgin DJer....

Is it more technique or can I adjust the Avalanche to make it a little eaiser?

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
I hated it. Especially compared to my new dj bike. I was new to djing in general and hated every waking moment of it. Seemed to absorb the jump, require more speed and didn't feel as crisp. Also, watching vid of myself, I realize I was slightly casing the jump, couldn't feel it (joys of cush) but man I could sure see it. I just couldn't feel the jump or landing (which I finally get since I got the dj bike and I FREAKING LOVE DJING!!!)...

Can't help you with setup. The best setup I could find was stiffest setting, I think linear (stiff top to bottom) and in 5in travel mode instead of 6...still sucked but wasn't as bad.

I am sure there is a technique, but as a fellow beginner I just couldn't get it. Maybe with more experience on my ht I could transfer it over to the dually, but learning on a dually, was dang hard for me.

Mattoid

Monkey
Aug 3, 2003
Charlottesville, Virginia
on a big dually you have to go a little faster and thrust the rear suspension into the face of the jump more, if that makes any sense. You sort of extend your legs into the base of the jump to compress the suspension more. If you are noseing over just learn to pump the bike mroe so you control where the bike is. If the bike is just drifting wherever it pleases then you are just dead sailoring... practice makes perfect...

Grimey

Monkey
Aug 21, 2003
cali
you need more speed, charge it - if you are already casing and not noticing, you probably won't notice if you over shoot it.

I have heard things about messing with settings and what not, but my thoughts are to set your bike up like you normally ride it and then dj it, that way you learn how to dj your bike, not a over stiffened version of your bike.

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
mobius said:
DH bike djing sucks it gets so tiring so fast for such little accomplishment.
I was trying to say that but took me 20 lines...damn being drunk and not being able to offer clarity...

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
Still to date, I've hit my biggest DJ's (not that big) when I had a DH bike. For me it was all about weight shift to prevent an endo. It seems counter-intuitive, but I actually had to take weight off the back end and put if more forward to prevent endos. If I braced myself and pulled back hard when I hit the lip the rear would compress alot and then rebound hard, trying to send me OTB. If I hit the lip more centered over the bike it was much better, and sometimes I tried putting my weight over the fork which sent me through the air with the nose up. So basically put your weight over the bike in the manner you want the bike to fly though the air, that's what worked for me.

B

bigkonarider

I don't tinker with my shock at all.
It's slow & SAGGY ! i ALWAYS THINK " i CAN ALWAYS HIT MY REAR BRAKE TO LIFT THE REAR" IN CASE YOU are TOO NOSE HIGH.
Try fairly slow rebound so it doesn't pop after you take off .

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
i love jumping my big bike. its soooo much fun. they dont work to well on super lippy tight dirt jumps though. they are too long, slack and squishy in my opinion but i still do it anyway. coming back from a broken arm the dh bike is my best friend at the jumps. i rarely case but if i do it takes a lot of the pain away.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I hit dirt jumps on my vp-free all the time. (Yeah not really a dh bike but 8" travel and 40 lbs is close enough.) I end up working harder 'cuz of the weight and squishiness but it's still fun and makes mistakes cost less.

My advice on set-up is basically what others already said: crank up the rebound damping, preload, and compression damping so your rear end is less active. Basically, slow everything down to make it more precise and predictable. The rebound is key to prevent getting bucked into an endo, especially if your rig has a falling initial spring rate - 'cuz that basically means it has a rising rebound. At least that's what works for me.

As for technique, when I'm on a squishy bike I tend to exaggerate pumping into the take-off transitions. Once you get the hang of it you can compress your suspension into a jump face, then pull up at the lip and get a spring-assisted launch.

Because a bigger bike usually has a longer wheelbase, I prefer longer transitions than some of the super tight bmx stuff. If it's really tight your front wheel will be in the air before your rear is halfway up the transition!

It's kinda like dirt jumpers who ride their rigid bikes on trails. Maybe not ideal, but still fun, so have at it.