Quantcast

DIRT Mag 1:04- Sam Hill video and contest

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
It's a trick question. He never actually rode the track, it was one of his look-a-likes. I win!

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
102.5 he's probably quicker but its very difficult to make any sort of huge difference on such a short track and the guys who where getting the 104s aren't exactly slow either. I very much doubt he broke the min mark. If he did then everyone else may aswell give up. We'll give Sam the title every year by default.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
al-irl- you should watch all the vid form the 104, and you would see the different lines that sam is taking, jumping bits and generally carrying more speed everywhere. its amazing. he is under 1 minute for sure, the athertons did it under that.

lockstock

Monkey
Mar 6, 2007
From memory it was a bit wet when the Athertons were on the track as well and it looked bone dry for Sam on the vid. Not that that would affect his time though.

58.75 secs

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
i've seen the video but i haven't seen anyone else ride it. i wasn't aware that the atherthons where on it and if they got close to 1 min i'm changing my guess and i reckon somewhere close to 58 seconds. I really can't see him being more than 2 seconds quicker than the fastest time already set on such a short track.

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
There's a bumpy left turn he makes around the 0:53 mark of that video. How in the HELL did he keep his front wheel from washing out??

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
Aerodynamicly custom tuned E13 bash guard that acts like custom fins on a surfboard. He's running two side by side for extra sharp turning.:lighten:
LOL. You can actually mount a taco to the inside of the boomerang on an SRS to double up the bashguard-ery, and I often wondered if someone would actually do that. :)

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
LOL. You can actually mount a taco to the inside of the boomerang on an SRS to double up the bashguard-ery, and I often wondered if someone would actually do that. :)
You do realize you just inspired every Monster T/Karpiel/BMW/Profile/Doubletrack/Avalanche owner to go running to their local shop to "double down"........don't you?:twitch:

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
There's a bumpy left turn he makes around the 0:53 mark of that video. How in the HELL did he keep his front wheel from washing out??
Yeah - Sam's technique and riding ability is starting to reach the point where you "see" his bike handling skills - if that makes any sense.

For another perspective: He's getting to the point where he makes it look effortless. Ultimate flow.

Check out this vid from Littermag on youTube of the 07' US Open:

Watch around:50 where Sam comes into the first corner before the woods section - he noses over the rock like it's not even there. Bryn railed it too.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Funny you mention that, I watched that corner like 20 times trying to figure out what he did.. Pretty damn amazing.:shocked:

Matchew

Monkey
May 26, 2006
NH / Mass (ugh)
Funny you mention that, I watched that corner like 20 times trying to figure out what he did.. Pretty damn amazing.:shocked:
Same here, it's even more ridiculous in person. He just seems to slide the bike sideways into corners and then just rail the inside line. I saw him a few years ago in the open slope at mount snow and just couldn't stop laughing after he went by.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
If memory serves me right the Athertons arrived late had limited practice and "race" runs in addition to the wet conditions. It was interesting to hear their (and everybody elses) comments on how they tried to adapt to the track how it suited them or not, the troubles they had, etc. Def a great series for the racerboi type.

The Honda crew (Minaar & Fairclough) had a go at it too, but I don't think they got less than 1min. Don't remember why and can't seem to find that issue of Dirt. Anyone care to help a brother geek out on the 1:04?

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
If memory serves me right the Athertons arrived late had limited practice and "race" runs in addition to the wet conditions. It was interesting to hear their (and everybody elses) comments on how they tried to adapt to the track how it suited them or not, the troubles they had, etc. Def a great series for the racerboi type.

The Honda crew (Minaar & Fairclough) had a go at it too, but I don't think they got less than 1min. Don't remember why and can't seem to find that issue of Dirt. Anyone care to help a brother geek out on the 1:04?
Atherton's were in the dry, then it rained and they had to stop. minnaar and brendan had semi-dry conditions but from what i read they never really got up to full speed; minnaar saying he isn't always able to go 100% when it isn't a race situation. makes sense, as some guys are always fast and others know how to turn it on when it counts. everyone is wired a bit different i suppose.