Quantcast

Dirt mag new Boxxer article. Spanish Monkeys

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
acadian,

WTF is drop stop in the Team/coil to increase ending ramp?

I have an idea but why not just ask someone that really knows.

Thanks

Npdh

Monkey
Apr 29, 2007
Is the Yellow part the new bottom out setting for the TEAM ?

It just look like the bottom out on the Fox...

Nice photo there !

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Is the Yellow part the new bottom out setting for the TEAM ?

It just look like the bottom out on the Fox...

Nice photo there !
Yellow part looks like an elastomer, and the top grey part gets longer to make it contact earlier, high tech:biggrin: Not sure on the grey bit, but I'm guessing it is an elastomer.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Anyone know whether existing boxxer bolt-on stems will be compatible with the new fork? Might be about to buy one, will hold off if it's not going to fit.

Cheers

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
I posted a reply to seb's question, but for some reason it got deleted. Anyway . . .

1. 99% sure it's the same bolt pattern for stems. Rock Shox developed this standard a few years back with the hopes that the rest of the industry would jump on, so I can't see them walking away from it now (plus nothing's been said to indicate that a change is coming).
2. I just noticed on QBP's website that all '10 Boxxers will be shipping with short AND tall crowns. Pretty cool.
3. The Team and Race versions will come with soft and firm spring kits and will both be available in either white or black. The WC comes with a pump (as usual) and is available in black, white or red.

--JP

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
I posted a reply to seb's question, but for some reason it got deleted. Anyway . . .

1. 99% sure it's the same bolt pattern for stems. Rock Shox developed this standard a few years back with the hopes that the rest of the industry would jump on, so I can't see them walking away from it now (plus nothing's been said to indicate that a change is coming).
2. I just noticed on QBP's website that all '10 Boxxers will be shipping with short AND tall crowns. Pretty cool.
3. The Team and Race versions will come with soft and firm spring kits and will both be available in either white or black. The WC comes with a pump (as usual) and is available in black, white or red.

--JP
you're right about #1...

you can read more about it here
http://www.pinkbike.com/news/2010BoXXerRelease.html

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Good write up Luc. This is the first year the BoXXer really appeals to me.
Did you get saddle time with the Team or only the WC?

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
Good write up Luc. This is the first year the BoXXer really appeals to me.
Did you get saddle time with the Team or only the WC?
did you read it or just looked at the pictures? ;)

I did ride the team for a short run - but spent most of the time on the WC.

Edit: Thanks for watching my back Lee! :thumb:

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
did you read it or just looked at the pictures? ;)
I thought I did:poster_oops:
re-reading now....

EDIT: so not much "feel" difference, thats good to hear!
I see a BoXXer Team in my future ;)

Last edited:

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
I thought I did:poster_oops:
re-reading now....

EDIT: so not much "feel" difference, thats good to hear!
I see a BoXXer Team in my future ;)
i've ridden boxxer wc's the past 3 seasons and every time i try a friend's boxxer team i can't even tell the difference. in fact, there are a lot of experienced wc racers/tuners (tim flukes) who feel a coil spring is better than an air spring for 8" travel forks. personally, i'm still on the fence as to which one i am going to use. sure the wc is a bit lighter but it is by no means a superior fork to the boxxer team. each has its advantages i think.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
To little too late. I would have taken a team with 35mm stanchions if it was available. Lots of 08 and 09 teams going for cheap on ebay. Got a 888 WC instead, but I would have tried the boxxer if it was available (or they had decided to make the stanchions bigger a year or two ago)

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
a question for those that have ridden it: a local shop owner saw some prototypes in Vegas at Interbike this year and said the stanchions were scary thin. He was worried they wouldn't stand up to everyday "wear and tear" of being shuttled, dropped, crashed, having bikes leaned/falling on them etc... His opinion was that they are so thin, they could end up being a race-day only fork. And even there, they may not last through too many races.

any comments?

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
a question for those that have ridden it: a local shop owner saw some prototypes in Vegas at Interbike this year and said the stanchions were scary thin. He was worried they wouldn't stand up to everyday "wear and tear" of being shuttled, dropped, crashed, having bikes leaned/falling on them etc... His opinion was that they are so thin, they could end up being a race-day only fork. And even there, they may not last through too many races.

any comments?
I probably wouldn't go to this shop....

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802

any comments?
If he ever found out how thin his frame tubing is he'd probably have to quit riding altogether.

of course 'everyday wear-and-tear' is a bit different for everyone though. What some consider normal i tend to look at as neglect, especially with a high end race fork.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.

any comments?
Find another shop.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
To be honest, I think this guy actually knows his stuff. It's not my favourite shop, but I've got to give credit where credit is due... I think he was remarking that they looked fragile, maybe a bit too much so for the average joe, this is downhilling afterall. He didn't say that they wouldn't work or that their performance wasn't off the hook, he just said they look fragile, so buyer beware....

Anyways, so are you guys saying this fork is burly and should withstand some serious abuse? I guess that's my bottom line, and the question I should have asked first!!!

Last edited:

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana

any comments?
My shop said the exact same thing. They said "paper thin". They also said it will need to be rebuilt more often than the older Boxxer. I guess we will have to wait and see.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
My shop said the exact same thing. They said "paper thin". They also said it will need to be rebuilt more often than the older Boxxer. I guess we will have to wait and see.

I'm probably not the only one who does not see this as a bad thing. It's a high performance fork, it really shouldn't come as any surprise that it will require some extra maintenance to work well. I'm of the opinion that if you want the best you need to be willing to work on it once in a while. not sure where the idea of high performance and low maintenance came from, they really don't go together at all.

proper maintenance on the previous boxxer required about 10 minutes every few weeks to clean/grease the bushings and seals, and a minute or two every few runs to keep the dust wipers lubed and happy. I've followed this schedule with every boxxer i've ever owned (about 10 since 1998) and have had exactly zero blown seals or worn bushings and some of the forks made it through 2 full seasons without anything needing to be replaced. However, it only takes about 2 months of neglect for a boxxer to start self destructing. but if that's the case i have to wonder what someone is doing investing thousands of dollars into DH racing only to let their equipment go to sh*t?

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I'm probably not the only one who does not see this as a bad thing. It's a high performance fork, it really shouldn't come as any surprise that it will require some extra maintenance to work well.
Hmm...just because I have a WRX instead of a taurus doesn't mean that I have to go rebuild the engine every few weeks.

In any case, I can't imagine how it would be "more maintenance" when it has basically the same internal arrangement, just with bigger stanchions and all. Unless they're not putting any oil in there to keep the weight down, it should be able the same as before...right?

Commencal-guy

Monkey
Nov 25, 2007
Massachusetts, US of A
i've ridden boxxer wc's the past 3 seasons and every time i try a friend's boxxer team i can't even tell the difference. in fact, there are a lot of experienced wc racers/tuners (tim flukes) who feel a coil spring is better than an air spring for 8" travel forks. personally, i'm still on the fence as to which one i am going to use. sure the wc is a bit lighter but it is by no means a superior fork to the boxxer team. each has its advantages i think.
I agree 100%.

As much as I love my Boxxer wc, I think I'll be heading back to the Boxxer Team when these bad boys come out since the cost difference is outrageous when the Team is only .5 lbs heavier then the WC now...

Adding on to the fact since both the Team and WC, and I think the Race uses the same aluminum stanchions I could always just upgrade it later to a WC buying the Aircap and the Solo Air Assembly.

primo661

Monkey
Jun 16, 2008
Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
To be honest, I think this guy actually knows his stuff. It's not my favourite shop, but I've got to give credit where credit is due... I think he was remarking that they looked fragile, maybe a bit too much so for the average joe, this is downhilling afterall. He didn't say that they wouldn't work or that their performance wasn't off the hook, he just said they look fragile, so buyer beware....

Anyways, so are you guys saying this fork is burly and should withstand some serious abuse? I guess that's my bottom line, and the question I should have asked first!!!
No one said it was burly and would take abuse. It has been said that the new BoXXer is stiffer than the old one but it is still a race fork. The Fox 40 is very stiff but the lowers are thin and are relatively easy to puncture, so they aren't burly and abvle to stand up to abuse like the older 888s could. the new BoXXer most likely wont be weak but obviously if you plan on bikes dropping on yours or dropping your bike on a regular basis then you've got to sort yourself out. And if that is happening I'd be more worried about your derailer, hydraulic lines and such. Fatter doesnt mean it should handle more abuse, it just means stiffer, in this case.
EDIT: Do you have any idea how much force it takes to dent a stantion 1mm thick? Regular 7000 series aluminium tube of 35mm diameter will withstand a reasonably hard blow from a hammer before it dents, the stuff isn't like butter. My chain stay tube(which is oval) on my DH rig isn't even 1mm thick and it is yet to dent.

Last edited:

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
To little too late. I would have taken a team with 35mm stanchions if it was available. Lots of 08 and 09 teams going for cheap on ebay. Got a 888 WC instead, but I would have tried the boxxer if it was available (or they had decided to make the stanchions bigger a year or two ago)
What's your point? Are you saying that they shouldn't bother with 35mm now? They should just stick with the 32mm they have forever? Or maybe they should quit the DH fork market altogether, after all they've failed Jm_, he bought a 888WC instead!

(in short: pointless post, you should know better :p)