Quantcast

Dirt scene around Central PA?

A Grove

Monkey
Nov 20, 2007
State College, PA
Hey all...

I live smack dab in the 'center' of PA. That being State College... some may know it more by Penn State University's (PSU's) main campus...

ANYHOW - my recent trip to Rays has gotten me HOOKED on finding some nice flowey jumplines...

I am posting here (and on MTBR) to see if there is anyone out there who knows of any places with some good dirt. We have some biggun's that are made purely for 20's... I literally cannot even pump enough speed into the jumps because of how tight they are (I also am a big n00b when it comes to DJ's)

So... What all is out there? Williamsport, Lock Haven, Bellefonte, Altoona, where?!

Thanks muchh,
Aaron

jasride

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2006
PA
Grove, are you talking about the trails behind the Weis market in State College? Rode there one time last summer, hope to get there again this year. Are they running again?

A Grove

Monkey
Nov 20, 2007
State College, PA
That would be correct. I work with a few BMX'ers who shred them a lot... They get supperrr pissed at people who come in and trash the place thou...

AKA one of the reasons I haven't been riding there. I can't seem to get the speed so I tend to case the lips andd the only way to get better is to practice, but the last thing I want to do is destroy the lips and go repair them and piss someone off.

I'm not 100% positive if they're running for sure or not. Do you go to college up here?

jasride

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2006
PA
I do not go to college there. A friend of mine went to school and rode there but I was there with a buddy from my area. We live in Harrisburg. Yeah casing jumps happens, best thing is to follow somebody if your not sure about the line. Also, I remember them having a smaller line there with 2 berms and some littler sets, those are good to learn on. Just take one jump at a time.

A Grove

Monkey
Nov 20, 2007
State College, PA
Ah I see - There are SOO many jumps that have been built over the years, its honestly hard to tell one line apart from another!!

Then there is the fact some of them havent been ridden in who knows how long so they could use some maintenancing... Maybe I shall get out there this weekend and try to scope some things out.

I helped a fellow co-worker out for a day or so cutting in a path to a big-wheel line, but I honestly don't know where that is at....

Anyone else out there with some info??
-Aaron

trust4130

Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
Pennsylvania
A bit o' history on those trails for ya... They've been around since the beginning of time, and thru the years have gone from one set of hands to another. It's really quite amazing actually. I believe they started in the late 80's by this cool old schooler named Mike Gentilecore (ECD OG, who still rides, races superclass, etc.). I had them all to my very own self in 93/94. Other generations of friends had them as well. They pretty much had some of the first rhythm around, and inspired many, many others.

By the way, I remember a neighbor had a Grove frame there on campus back during my time as well. The hands of time just got turned back there for a second on me...

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
as Manhattan said... come out to P-burgh! We can show you around on the trails we'll see what we can do about showing you round :twitch:

hank

Chimp
Nov 27, 2007
Northeast
Aaron-

I'm a PSU grad and the trails you speak of were the only ones i knew of at the time. However, there was a bunch of singletrack cuts behind main campus (across park ave behind main campus down mckee i think..). If you jump on the cinder rails to trails section and take that ALLL the way past the golf course, and just keep going till it ends i do recall this giant friggin' cut opening up to the right. It was huge from what i remember. A complete no mans land. If that hasn't been developed i'd say start digging there (naturally this was circa 1994-98). The other thing i'd suggest about the spot you mentioned would be to just go over, approach the local riders and say you'll put in time on the lines that haven't been maintained-that way you can earn some keep and get good practice on jumps you've modified/maintained. Couldn't hurt-kind of a win win for the locals and you.