Quantcast

Dirtjumping Helmet. Bike or Skate?

JesusFreak

Chimp
Oct 30, 2001
Boulder,CO
this may seem like a silly question, but...

ok, so i go to get a helmet for me and my son, and notice that the bike helmets have that hard styrofoam in them, while the skate helmets have 2 layers of spongy foam (doesn't crack).

which kind do you guys recommend for dirt jumping?

that hard styrofoam is made for one impact (same as MTB helmets), but the spongy foam in the skate helmets is good regardless. seems like jumping wille, inevitably, land one on their head and require a durable helmet.

won't the skate helmets work better?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Hello,

I think that dirt jumping helmets would work better, if you can stand the heat build up in them.

heikkihall

Monkey
Dec 14, 2001
Durango, CO
yea i have both and i think the pro tec is better for crash protection. youll get a concussion deffinately if you crash wearing a xc lid.

JesusFreak

Chimp
Oct 30, 2001
Boulder,CO
Originally posted by heikkihall
yea i have both and i think the pro tec is better for crash protection. youll get a concussion deffinately if you crash wearing a xc lid.
i'm supposing that, by saying "protec", you mean a skate helmet - with the spongy foam?

pro tec makes 2 kinds of helmets now. the bike helmet has almost the exact same plastic shell as the skate helmet, but is filled with hard styrofoam (and some 'pads') versus the skate with the spongy foam.

i would just go with the skate, but now i'm wondering why they did the different bike thing. is there some kind of safety spec that dictates this material for any officially certified bike helmet? or is it really much better than spongy foam?

Bomber

Chimp
May 15, 2002
Massachusetts
You gotta go Skate. They are so much more comfortable and stay in place while you are in the air (believe me the last thing you want is for you helmet to fall off in the middle of the air). Look at a protec thats what I use and love it. I find that the mtb helmets just aren't as padded. So get a sk8 helmet or maybe a fullface if you have the cash.

beachboy016

Chimp
May 12, 2002
Yeah go for the protec skate. It holds on to your head well, and will protect it better than a normal mtb helmet....

You asked WHY there is a difference in the type of impact absorption material between the two helmets.
The reason is VERY simple.
Medium and low density foam in a sk8 helmet is used because the effective impact speed in a sk8board accident is FAR less than that of a bike accident. unless you are riding a vert ramp, you are severly limited in the amount of kinetic energy you can develop on a sk8. So you only need to deal with fairly LOW impact velocities. You simply must protect the head from abrasion and direct low speed blows (which can also kill), so as a manufacturer you can substitute a lighter, more durable lining, with a MUCH lower manufacturing cost, and save money and still provide adequate saftey.
BUT with a bike, you can reach a MUCH higher speed, and that can result in a much higher distance to fall, AND there is a high likelyhood of contact with a metal object in an accident, that object being the bike itself.
These factors make the low cost low density foam impact absorption material ineffective.
(note ALL motorcycle helmets have styrofoam insulation)

Styrofoam will absorb HUGE impact forces, BUT it becomes deformed after such an impact and therfore MUST be replaced.

Since this is a child, and the likely hood of crashes is high, I would STRONGLY recommend purchasing the pro-tec for BIKES..because IF he has an accident which would be strong enough to deform the casing, wearing an incorrect device would surely result in a debilitating injury or death.

A helmet is for protection, if it does not do that, there is no point, it is NOT a fasion of style device, try to find one that fits him comfortably.

if you have any more questions, simply phone Protec, and ask their tech dept. they will give you the straight goods.
their website is www.pro-tec.net

good luck

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
Originally posted by shootr
A helmet is for protection, if it does not do that, there is no point, it is NOT a fasion of style device, try to find one that fits him comfortably.
Well said. I wear my DH full-face helmet when dirt jumping even though I've never crashed that hard when jumping. Only takes once... I don't care if I look like tool in front of the 15 year olds at the jumps. I'm there to have fun and still be able to go to work on Monday...

axel

Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
conway, ma
i wear a knucklebone BMX(i think) helmet that i picked up for like 20$, i only crashed bad once DJing, and i smashed my face pretty good, so the helmet didnt do much....i hate to say it, but i usually dont wear a helmet except when DHing

A

a13x

I'm with that Shootr guy. Everyone else kinda missed what you were saying. I personally have a SKATE style protec (without the Impact Foam) from my skating days and *I* like it better than the Impact Foam style protecs (aka: bike ones). Prolly because I enjoy chucking my helmet around and don't have to worry about messing the foam up :D

If it's for your son thou I'd definately say get the Impact/Bike style Protec. No question.

Sep 18, 2001
Marin County CA
Who the hell wears a helmit when dirtjumping? :evil:

I also prefer the type that don't crack when you throw them around because they last longer. I have no idea if they're better impact absorption wise. If it's being sold as a helmit then it should do a good job.

Sep 18, 2001
Marin County CA
AND there is a high likelyhood of contact with a metal object in an accident, that object being the bike itself.
I've watched dozens of bike vids, seen tons of crashes and crashed many many times myself and I don't think I've ever seen anyone whack their head on their bike.

Ir Dan

Monkey
May 22, 2002
Orange County
deffinitly go with the protec. They last the longest and are the most comfortable. If you are getting one though, get a helmet that fits well on your sons head.

Hey Shmuck.....
X Games, 2000, DMC smacked his face right off of his crossbar, even with a full face, huge gash over his eye...
REMEMBER THAT????

KOD
Brooklyn 2001, Corey Nastazio, overrotated his backflip, casing it on the first landing tranny,.....smoking his forehead, his face went so far down he almost hit his stem..
and those are just off the top of my head.. I can probably look some others up and send you some vid.

Sep 18, 2001
Marin County CA
Hey Shmuck.....
X Games, 2000, DMC smacked his face right off of his crossbar, even with a full face, huge gash over his eye...
REMEMBER THAT????

KOD
Brooklyn 2001, Corey Nastazio, overrotated his backflip, casing it on the first landing tranny,.....smoking his forehead, his face went so far down he almost hit his stem..
and those are just off the top of my head.. I can probably look some others up and send you some vid.
well that's what he gets for being such a thug.

I stand corrected. Actually when I posted I never really thought about hitting your head on the stem or bars, i guess it would be pretty easy to do that. It's still pretty rare though, and in both of your example the person messed up their face, not their brain/cranial area:think: heh.

Yeah haha, it sure did nothing for his looks!!

I can tell you though from personal experience that if you hang your bike up on the coping coming down on a 12ft vert ramp, you make it to the bottom first, then your bike follows on top of you...
I have had my bell rung a few times like that, with the bike bouncing down and whackin me in da back of da head!!

but for the most part DJing, I have not hit my head on anything much,....well except for trees.....and rocks......and small woodland animals...

way2jedi4u

Chimp
Nov 27, 2001
Boulder, CO
Originally posted by hardtail_schmuk

I've watched dozens of bike vids, seen tons of crashes and crashed many many times myself and I don't think I've ever seen anyone whack their head on their bike.
Would you care to see all of the marks on my full face helmet? My worst was when i cased a 12' drop over a 15' gap on my ht with 2.5" on the front, and I slid out cuz i tweaked it too much, and my head went sliding accross a tennis court. thank god I always wear my full face.

Sep 18, 2001
Marin County CA
Originally posted by way2jedi4u

Would you care to see all of the marks on my full face helmet? My worst was when i cased a 12' drop over a 15' gap on my ht with 2.5" on the front, and I slid out cuz i tweaked it too much, and my head went sliding accross a tennis court. thank god I always wear my full face.
I meant have your bike hit you in the head, not hit your head on something while riding your bike, of course that's possible.

axel

Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
conway, ma
Originally posted by hardtail_schmuk

I meant have your bike hit you in the head, not hit your head on something while riding your bike, of course that's possible.
ive flipped over the bars many a time and had my bike flip up and slam my head pretty damn hard.