Quantcast

Dirty Dans - Do you cut them?

redride

Monkey
Sep 23, 2007
Kuala Lumpur
i am trying out the Veristar Dirty Dans. I usually cut my spikes a little when on Wetscreams. I am just wondering if anyone cuts their DD and if you do, how do you cut them. Or better still... do we need to cut 'em?

They are pricey so I dont want to make a mistake. Thanks in advance for any help.

MmmBones

Monkey
May 8, 2011
Porkland, OR
How deep is your mud? I have been running uncut and cut DD's for two seasons and they can work in a variety of conditions, even dry! If the trails you ride are muddy and loose, leave 'em uncut. You can tell almost immediately if the spikes are too long when riding harder surfaces because they will feel like they are folding and losing grip! If this happens try cutting just below the siping and try em again. If you want the tires to roll faster on hardpack but maintain a good braking edge, ramp the center spikes by cutting them at a 45 degree angle. If the trail is loose in spots but also fast and hard in others, or dusty/sandy over hardpack, I would recommend cutting all of the spikes down about 3mm or so. Hope this helps. :D

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
How deep is your mud? I have been running uncut and cut DD's for two seasons and they can work in a variety of conditions, even dry! If the trails you ride are muddy and loose, leave 'em uncut. You can tell almost immediately if the spikes are too long when riding harder surfaces because they will feel like they are folding and losing grip! If this happens try cutting just below the siping and try em again. If you want the tires to roll faster on hardpack but maintain a good braking edge, ramp the center spikes by cutting them at a 45 degree angle. If the trail is loose in spots but also fast and hard in others, or dusty/sandy over hardpack, I would recommend cutting all of the spikes down about 3mm or so. Hope this helps. :D
That's good to know, haven't cut mine yet but will definently trim them based on this. :thumb: thanks

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Why cut a Dirty Dan when you can run a Muddy Mary in conditions that don't require a mud tire? :confused:

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Why cut a Dirty Dan when you can run a Muddy Mary in conditioons that don't require a mud tire? :confused:
More open lug pattern and if your at a race that's a bit of both reduce center and keep sides. Agreed if its not muddy then the Mary (i run it for both semi muddy//dry hard) but if you show up expecting mud and it dried out then its good to know your not stuck.

I'd like to run dans and cut em down to see their range this season I know buckow was cutting dans for hard packed courses as well.

Last edited:

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
way stoked on cut down dirty dans for dry/hardpack, i prefer them to a muddy mary on hard/loose over hard personally.

though vertstar lasts even less ride time than a 3c or ST.

MmmBones

Monkey
May 8, 2011
Porkland, OR
That cut takes 20 minutes. I have done the standard cut between shuttle runs in 15 minutes. The key to a nice and easy, pain free cut is a sharp set of sidecutters. preferably with an angled head. The added leverage and angle fatigues your hand less and helps keep each cut consistent with the rest.:D

I have also had a few seasons on Muddy Marys and am currently running them . While they are an excellent intermediate tire and also work in a variety of conditions, I've found that here, in the P.N.W. Dirty Dan's work best for me 8 months out the year, simply because they clear sticky wet soil better than the MM's and can be adapted to meet the demands of the rider and terrain. I realize this is not the case for most people that don't live in a rainforest, and that MM's would be the go-to all around tire for those that don't. :thumb:

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
way stoked on cut down dirty dans for dry/hardpack, i prefer them to a muddy mary on hard/loose over hard personally.

though vertstar lasts even less ride time than a 3c or ST.
What's your cut look like be curious to see terrain cuts for modifying dans. Also would make a good reference guide for a need to know basis. :thumb:

Cut and for what condition as all as is the front cut the same

Cut pic and for what terrain along with is the front and rear cut the same

MmmBones

Monkey
May 8, 2011
Porkland, OR
What's your cut look like be curious to see terrain cuts for modifying dans. Also would make a good reference guide for a need to know basis. :thumb:

Cut and for what condition as all as is the front cut the same

Cut pic and for what terrain along with is the front and rear cut the same
I could not read that.