Quantcast

Disabling Window Processes

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Well, it was that time again to look thru what processes were running on my Windows system.

I disabled one process gcasDTServ.exe, a MS Antispyware program by msconfig.

Is there easy ways to stop BS processes from slowing down my 'puter?

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Try the application explorer in Windows Defender. It deciphers all of the startup and running processes into English instead of cryptic bullsh1t.

You can kill and disable running processes from there.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
This is how we do it...

Windows XP SP2 - It can be 'lite'. This is my everyday config. Runs sweet and fast. Please note - 3 users logged in hence 47 processes.

oiswego

Monkey
Oct 24, 2005
New Yawk
clean it up???

i'm amazed at the few processes there in fact!!

looks like you need to explore more of the usefulness of linux.
i'm actually in the early stages of programming a java app to brew my coffee every morning....

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
clean it up???

i'm amazed at the few processes there in fact!!

looks like you need to explore more of the usefulness of linux.
i'm actually in the early stages of programming a java app to brew my coffee every morning....
I've spent the last ~10 years of my life "exploring" Linux... and he needs to clean that $hit up! Bunch of goddam GUI $hit mucking up that system. :D

oiswego

Monkey
Oct 24, 2005
New Yawk
only 10??

and to be fair, i've found elink/lynx totally lacking in using any modern-ish web page. something about javascript and java never quite working correctly that just puts me off......

in the old days i'd have agreed with you about the dominance of consoles----> however, with the speeds of todays machines that argument is mostly moot.
why not have desktop enviroment AND have a terminal open?

whatever though---we should talk shop, if you've been using for 10 years i'd love to hear what you've been up to with it and what you use it for!

pm me

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
only 10??

and to be fair, i've found elink/lynx totally lacking in using any modern-ish web page. something about javascript and java never quite working correctly that just puts me off......

in the old days i'd have agreed with you about the dominance of consoles----> however, with the speeds of todays machines that argument is mostly moot.
why not have desktop enviroment AND have a terminal open?

whatever though---we should talk shop, if you've been using for 10 years i'd love to hear what you've been up to with it and what you use it for!

pm me
I've been administering it for 10 years. And Windows is my preferred platform with which to administer GUI-less *nix machines. :D

oiswego

Monkey
Oct 24, 2005
New Yawk
oh please.

it was only cool to bash X years ago when X really sucked.
these days it's just posing, plain and simple.

and using windows to administer unix??? that is blasphemy!! i can accept the bastardized bsd known as osx, or linux...but to use the enemy? i had this job where they wanted me to run windows. that lasted about 3 hours before i had redhat installed.

and for all you haters of xfree---compare the current desktop to what was available in redhat 5.2.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
oh please.

it was only cool to bash X years ago when X really sucked.
these days it's just posing, plain and simple.

and using windows to administer unix??? that is blasphemy!! i can accept the bastardized bsd known as osx, or linux...but to use the enemy? i had this job where they wanted me to run windows. that lasted about 3 hours before i had redhat installed.
Oh quit your frothing. :D

and for all you haters of xfree---compare the current desktop to what was available in redhat 5.2.
Like I said... I use Windows with PuTTY to actually administer *nix systems. I've not got any hangups with Windows to be completely frank. It works fine...

Edit - I'm using an XP laptop AS WE SPEAK to administer a Solaris server... that isn't running any GUI. :D

oiswego

Monkey
Oct 24, 2005
New Yawk
no GUI on solaris?
i haven't used solaris since the days of the sparc 2 (with a then blazing fast 75Mhz processor and 64 Mb of ram!)....and back then it was impossible to remove without corrupting the os integrity.

and for the desktop args...

a console is awesome for system admin/engineering, in fact i am using an hp insight console attached to a centos machine as i type from osx.
and if i were simply doing admin stuff--there is no way i would ever need to have a GUI....
however, and admin's role is not as simple as that. and sure, i could program everything i do in VI like a sucker....or i can make it a lot faster using and ide like pulse and cut production time in half (at least).

i guess i just don't understand the argument that GUI sucks these days, when i look back on the advances that first xfree made and now freedesktop the console argument makes no sense. unix has evolved from strictly a server os to a solid and robust desktop system.

if anyone here that complains about GUI can explain to me how they enabled java in their text based browser then i'll be impressed and accept that argument. otherwise it's just posing as an old school hacker.

and windows---why bother? linux has a great terminal already shipped with the o/s. if you need it for exchange server....try evolution, works awesome for me

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
no GUI on solaris?
i haven't used solaris since the days of the sparc 2 (with a then blazing fast 75Mhz processor and 64 Mb of ram!)....and back then it was impossible to remove without corrupting the os integrity.

a console is awesome for system admin/engineering, in fact i am using an hp insight console attached to a centos machine as i type from osx.
and if i were simply doing admin stuff--there is no way i would ever need to have a GUI....
however, and admin's role is not as simple as that. and sure, i could program everything i do in VI like a sucker....or i can make it a lot faster using and ide like pulse and cut production time in half (at least).

i guess i just don't understand the argument that GUI sucks these days, when i look back on the advances that first xfree made and now freedesktop the console argument makes no sense. unix has evolved from strictly a server os to a solid and robust desktop system.

if anyone here that complains about GUI can explain to me how they enabled java in their text based browser then i'll be impressed and accept that argument. otherwise it's just posing as an old school hacker.

and windows---why bother? linux has a great terminal already shipped with the o/s. if you need it for exchange server....try evolution, works awesome for me
you're a fag. emacs-shell forevah!

oiswego

Monkey
Oct 24, 2005
New Yawk
and i'm not frothing yet, haha!

well, maybe if someone comes up and explains how great osx is compared to linux. that's an argument i'll never understand---osx is good, but definitely not deserving of the reputation they've gotten somehow.

oiswego

Monkey
Oct 24, 2005
New Yawk
you're a fag. emacs-shell forevah!
hmm--i must have missed that shell, maybe i had balls over my eyes.

but what is an emacs-shell?
last i checked, emacs was a 20 year old ****ty and complicated psuedo-ide and which shell are you referring to?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I actually used it to process passwords until I learned expect.

But it was the greatest product when all you had was VT terminal.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
no GUI on solaris?
No GUI. It's nice.

Ummm... no. I use Windows because the company I'm contracting to gave it to me. And it works fine. And on my home PC it works fine there too.

*nix is better without a GUI.

YMMV. :p

oiswego

Monkey
Oct 24, 2005
New Yawk
I actually used it to process passwords until I learned expect.

But it was the greatest product when all you had was VT terminal.
yeah, i used expect for that too until the i set up the ldap servers and became proficient enough in C to run things suid (before having the sudoers file work across a domain). much easier than having plain text passwords sitting around for expect to process!
and really, emacs was never great.
i purposely used pico back in the day since i was so sick of emacs and it's stupidity. these days, VI is so much better until you get into 4th gen languages then the ide's take over and rule ass.

and a shell?? all i gotta say is zsh 4 life!

oiswego

Monkey
Oct 24, 2005
New Yawk
No GUI. It's nice.

Ummm... no. I use Windows because the company I'm contracting to gave it to me. And it works fine. And on my home PC it works fine there too.

true dat...

but i'm willing to bet that *nix will perform just as well with or without a GUI for most typical uses.

oiswego

Monkey
Oct 24, 2005
New Yawk
No GUI. It's nice.

and my big aversion to using windows, bill gates and all that trash aside, is this:

their filesystem makes no sense whatsoever!
can you explain to me why a floppy is the "a" drive and hd0 is called "c"???

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
yeah, i used expect for that too until the i set up the ldap servers and became proficient enough in C to run things suid (before having the sudoers file work across a domain). much easier than having plain text passwords sitting around for expect to process!
and really, emacs was never great.
i purposely used pico back in the day since i was so sick of emacs and it's stupidity. these days, VI is so much better until you get into 4th gen languages then the ide's take over and rule ass.

and a shell?? all i gotta say is zsh 4 life!
Hahaha!

My dumb ass boss thought Pico was great until he edited /etc/passwd. Did you know there is a 1000 line buffer in Pico? And we had 3000 accounts.

It took him all day to restore those accounts.

Emacs, in its day, was customizable and used text-graphics extremely well. There is a thousand programming modes and emacs-shell made compiling programs a breeze.

Most people who were unable or unwilling to learn lisp, of course, struggled with emacs.

There is one other thing to consider: Richard Stallman is a god.

oiswego

Monkey
Oct 24, 2005
New Yawk
dog?? man, i thought your mom just had a moustache!

sanjuro, h8r----awesome thread, but time for me to give it a rest, since we've gone WAAAAY off-topic! probably we should open a new thread or maybe even a new forum called "talk trash (somtimes) about unix"!

actually, maybe that's not a bad idea---to start a new forum dedicated to linux to post tips/tricks, and so the linux rookies here can post their questions/problems etc.

whatever though---take it sleazy guys!