Quantcast

disc brake ?

AkRider

Chimp
Apr 30, 2006
Anchorage, Alaska
I just bought my mountain bike and it sounds and looks like my front disk is rubbing the pads slightly when spinning it by hand. Any ideas if this is normal for break in period or should i get it adjusted?

Thanks
Mike

skurfer333

Monkey
Apr 21, 2005
Raleigh, NC
it probably needs an adjustment, but as long as its not rubbing much and just grazing the rotor in a spot or two I would ride it out. New disc brakes sometimes have to be ridden for a little while in order for the pads to settle in (assuming you're using mechanical brakes). That or the brakes just might be a little too tight in which case the housing will settle in and the pads will back off a little bit. As long as the pads aren't rubbing much then I'd save yourself a little money and just ride it for a week or so and see if it gets better.

Ditto what skurfer said. I recently upgraded my hardtail to hydros and bought a new bike and both have gone through periods where the brakes rubbed the rotor lightly. If your bike and brakes are new then you're probably going to also go through periods where the lever feel is different, the stopping power seems to change, noise comes and goes when braking, etc. It took a couple of weeks before I really felt like my brakes were broken in. Since then I get consistent performance and haven't had any rotor rub.

If you're still getting some rotor rub after more riding try looking up the caliper alignment for your brakes on the manufacturers website. If the bike is new just take it to the shop and let the mech have a go at it.

Have fun,
Mike