Quantcast

Disc Brake ?

njdeadhead

Monkey
May 16, 2007
I want to know what you all think is the best Disc Brakes for dirt and street. I what to know as far as brake power, durabilable. Also hydraulic verse mechanical and any other pro and cons.

Jan 21, 2006
Boone, NC
Well a pro of mechanical is that you can adjust them anytime, anywhere as long as you have the right wrench with you. And they're cheaper. If you were looking into a mechanical brake, check out the Avid BB7 or whatever their newest model is. I have BB7's on my bike and they're better than some hydraulics I've ridden. Super easy to adjust too, you don't even need a wrench to adjust each pad. Just twist the knobs.

njdeadhead

Monkey
May 16, 2007
I was look at the BB7 until I see that they have up as a road bike brake. I was thing that a brake that was made for DH/FR would be more durabil.

njdeadhead

Monkey
May 16, 2007
Even when I ran a BMX bike I never ran a gryo. They suck and f-up all the time. The only way to go is with a long cable or hose. Dose the brakes lock up the same with a hose as it did with a cable dose when you bar spin?

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
There is one plus to running the BB7 "road", it's the fact that with the shorter pull you can use any bmx lever on the market, like the new Colony, or an odsy mono or dirt harry or something.
With the regular MTB version of the BB7 you have to run a V-lever (which are typically a bit gumpier than short bmx levers).

I had a BB7 for a couple of years on my Eastern26 mated up to an old Tektro bmx v-lever and it worked great... my only major beef with it was that I couldn't run a 140mm rotor (I had 160) and that the mech rotors are thinner than hydro, so just about every ride you're guaranteed to get that annoying "shing shing shing" as you ride away...

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
One more vote for avid mechs. Simple light and cheap. Do yourself a favor and get the top of the line model. It's well worth those little pad adjustment knobs.

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
There is one plus to running the BB7 "road", it's the fact that with the shorter pull you can use any bmx lever on the market, like the new Colony, or an odsy mono or dirt harry or something.
With the regular MTB version of the BB7 you have to run a V-lever (which are typically a bit gumpier than short bmx levers).

I had a BB7 for a couple of years on my Eastern26 mated up to an old Tektro bmx v-lever and it worked great... my only major beef with it was that I couldn't run a 140mm rotor (I had 160) and that the mech rotors are thinner than hydro, so just about every ride you're guaranteed to get that annoying "shing shing shing" as you ride away...
i have a road bb7 and do just that.

it actually works like crap with a v lever.

micahb

Monkey
Jan 6, 2006
Washington
Well a pro of mechanical is that you can adjust them anytime, anywhere as long as you have the right wrench with you. And they're cheaper. If you were looking into a mechanical brake, check out the Avid BB7 or whatever their newest model is. I have BB7's on my bike and they're better than some hydraulics I've ridden. Super easy to adjust too, you don't even need a wrench to adjust each pad. Just twist the knobs.
^^Agree with all. There is no reason you need a hydro. Save a bundle of money and the maintenance and go mech.

cencalballer

Chimp
Feb 22, 2007
i would say go hydro i have a bb7 rear and a juicy carbon front on my banshee i dont use the bb7 anymore cause it doesnt do anything i mean nothing

micahb

Monkey
Jan 6, 2006
Washington
i would say go hydro i have a bb7 rear and a juicy carbon front on my banshee i dont use the bb7 anymore cause it doesnt do anything i mean nothing
Wonder why? I have never heard that. Not saying I don't believe you, have just never heard anyone have issues with them.

MXicon

Chimp
May 27, 2007
You probably don't have it set up right... my BB7's have as much power as my Juicy's.